What Were They Thinking? Jewel of the Sea

jwp1405

It would be great if someone could post a picture of a room (not a suite) showing the third bed unfolded. I still cant imagine how it would look like. Our first and only cruise was on Carnival Liberty with our son 4 yrs old, and his bed was the couch itself without being unfolded or anything so the room area wasnt affected with that at all. I still believe it is small for an adult though. Thanks

We had a horrible cruise on Legend of the Seas from Hawaii to Ensenada for ten nights in March. Our waiter was as bad as the food. After 3 nights in the dining room with bad service, we gave up and settled for buffets--not good at all. I brought the plate of grizzle served with my ham to the Purser's Desk so he would know why I was upset with the food.

I sent two emails to RCCL and simply got an online survey to complete. Never got as much as a free food voucher for Portofinos or Chops for our cruise on Jewel of the Seas next week.

We loved sailing NCL Dawn from NY to the southern caribbean last December and have booked the NCL Spirit for Thanksgiving 2006. I loved the freestyle dining on NCL because we had the choice of ten restaurants from Chinese to Italian and everything in between--eating at whatever time and whatever size table we wanted. Great food and great ambiance and great service made NCL hard to beat. Hope we have a better experience on RCCL next week on Jewel. I haven't given up on RCCL yet, but wouldn't be sailing with them if the ship wasn't going out of our home port of Boston next week.

We love RCI, but would agree with you, having sailed three other lines which offer any time dining. I'm sure there are a lot of RCI guests who enjoy the structure of having a set dinner time; however, we much prefer the flexible dining options offered on other lines.

When sailing RCI, we very seldom go to the DR. Instead, we go to the Windjammer or order room service. On our next cruise, we will try Portofino at least once.

First off, I'm not known as one of the RCI Loyalists on this board, but I think that if you had done a little more homework and asked a few more questions you would have found out the following.

It's obvious that you booked one of the less expensive Cat. E cabins. They are fine for two adults, even two adults with one child but for 3 adults, no way! I think a small suite would have been more what you were expecting.

There is usually not a large number of people that eat breakfast and lunch in the main dining room, for that reason they tend to group you all together in one area at together at tables. Remember, that same staff has to handle all the tables in the more popular Windjammer during these times.

You get what you pay for!

Stretch

First off, I'm not known as one of the RCI Loyalists on this board, but I think that if you had done a little more homework and asked a few more questions you would have found out the following.

It's obvious that you booked one of the less expensive Cat. E cabins. They are fine for two adults, even two adults with one child but for 3 adults, no way! I think a small suite would have been more what you were expecting.

There is usually not a large number of people that eat breakfast and lunch in the main dining room, for that reason they tend to group you all together in one area at together at tables. Remember, that same staff has to handle all the tables in the more popular Windjammer during these times.

Stretch

Stretch

we were on a 7 day cruise with ncl and had booked a quad for myself dh dgd 10 dgd 8.when we were shown our cabin it only had 3 beds.

When we complained they said its ok as the granddaughters can share a bed.

my response to this was that as we had only got 10%off the adult fare for the kids i think they were entitled to a bed each.we were only in an inside cabin

They moved us to 2 outside cabins.They also did the same for another couple in the same situation. this after they told us no one could move cabins as the ship was sold out.

Great result for us.Mind you i dont understand how they could give us a 3 berth cabin when we had booked a quad and not only us.:confused: Anyone else had this happen? happy cruising

Stretch

Am I losing it...or did you post same thing three times....darn it I must stop puting whisky in my coke this late at night:D

Liz

There's been a lot of glitches in CC's get-along today. He probably tried to post during one of those. I posted one on another board a few minutes ago and the post made it but I got a white page. When I got back on, it had not bumbed up the thread but was there in the thread.:rolleyes:

Stretch

Am I losing it...or did you post same thing three times....darn it I must stop puting whisky in my coke this late at night:D

Liz

Liz, don't know if you saw my greeting on ceemore's newest thread before it got poofed so just in case I'll say it again. Glad to see you on some of these threads again. I've wondered about you. Safe travels to you and Alex and I hope you have a great time.

You are kind and reassuring. Hope all of your cruises are great. How can we see your pics? Thank you, Nancy

Nancy,

The link is in my signature. If you can't see signatures (go under quick links and check you settings) here is the link: http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonjewel_of/

Happy cruising....

Bobbie

It would be great if someone could post a picture of a room (not a suite) showing the third bed unfolded. I still cant imagine how it would look like. Our first and only cruise was on Carnival Liberty with our son 4 yrs old, and his bed was the couch itself without being unfolded or anything so the room area wasnt affected with that at all. I still believe it is small for an adult though. Thanks

I'll check my "inventory" & see what I can find.

Barb

Here is a picture of the fold-out bed in an E1 quad (there is also a pullman upper birth) on the Serenade.

You cannot see from the picture how long it is, but it is certainly a full-size single (twin) bed. I didn't sleep in it, but it seem comfortable to me. When these fold-outs first came out 2 decades ago they were pretty flimsy, but the technology they have today...

I think there were 2 major problems with the OP's situation. 1) There really is very little walking room between the end of the bed & the vanity when the bed is out. You do need to be rather careful. 2) It is very low to the floor. Not a problem for most people, but a big problem for anyone who has difficulty getting up from the floor.

Had the OP known size/configuration of the room before they booked, it would have been obvious that the cabin would not work for them.

Barb

Stretch

I agree.Research is very important before you book.Theese cabins are not large enough for 3 floor level beds.There are pictures in the brochures and all over the internet of these rooms and the square footage.I am truly sorry the OP was uncomfortable but all the rooms in this category are the same.If you switched rooms it would be the same.It wouldn't be fair to upgrade because you got the exact room you booked.I could understand if the bed was defective but everyone in this category has the same beds.I'm sorry the food was so bad.I prefer the different stations.I think it shortens the lines and makes it a lot less confusing.

I'm curious why the OP was able to find this site to discuss this situation after the cruise, but didn't use it as a research tool when deciding on a ship and the differences in accomodations aboard. Square footage, photos, and links to cruiseline websites that diagram cabin layouts and deck plans are all available here and are discussed frequently.

Its amazing how some people come here to CC just to bitch about their cruise. Like, what are we suppose to do about their experience? We can't make it better for them. All we can do is point out where they potentially went wrong. Most of the time, it is the passenger who is at fault, not the cruiseline. When some people go on vacation, their brains go on vacation too.

Fausto

I'm always surprised when I meet groups of people (adults) at dinner who are often piled into the same small cabin. We can't imagine enjoying a cruise without our own space/bathroom etc..

I recently booked a cruise on Freedom for us and two sets of parents. I briefly looked at those large family suites that can sleep up to 8, but my wife said 'no way'. I ended up booking two D1's and a JS close together for about the same price.... and worlds less family stress, which really is priceless ;)

Cheers!

ML

Thanks girl nice to hear from you:D Being good...for now;) Hope you are well.

Hey was it confirmed that it was ceemore:D

Talk when we get back from US....getting to the excited....oh what have I forgot to buy/pack stage.

Take care

Liz

Of course it was, that is why it is gone!

I don't know if you saw my hello on that thread before it got the poof fairy's touch. Anyway hello, have a great cruise.

Stretch O, it is bad enough reading one of your posts once, but three times, come on man get with the program! ;) :D

jc

so very important in cruising obviously. Buy the largest cabin u can afford - it's your only real refuge during the cruise. Sizing is all over the place - u know like: balcony is 41 sq ft and cabin is 179 sq ft (regular E1s - Radiance class) etc. If everyone did their 'homework' before paying their $ - like laying out the dimensions on the floor and perhaps staying within the perimeter for say - an hr - to 'test' it - it wld be easy to decide if it is right for them but most just don't bother. Then they heartily complain later and people of more advanced ages like this poster is shld know better by now. They perhaps trusted others to do it for them and gee - surprise - sometimes it isn't done properly although this poster doesn't mention whether or not they even used a TA.

That all said - I am very sorry they did not enjoy the Jewel (luved 'her' & her 'sisters' myself - on her again next yr). They missed a wonderful experience. Hope they try again but this time please do the 'homework' first...u know - research twice, book once.

Happy cruisin'!

Geez, I'm very, very, sorry that you didn't do enough research before your cruise! If you did book through a TA, they need to be fired.

However, if Carol has ticked you off please send me those said vouchers :D

;) ;)

###

Dito: You can send them to me. :D

"Does anyone else find the whole cruise experience changing for the worst as far as food and entertainment goes-- and comfort? I remember the old ships with their elegance and roominess and every morsel you put in your mouth divine.

It all seems headed south."

Newer ship have more room, maybe you are just getting bigger.:D

Archived