Alaskan cruisers: How formal is formal night?

K.T.B.

I've heard everything. Literally. From those who wore jeans to those who wore tuxes or evening gowns. Seriously, just how formal are the formal nights on Spirit when it cruises Alaska?? Personally, dressing up is not a problem for me, but I want to be prepared here. Plus my wife is currently looking at her options as well.

Its whatever you want it to be. In general, Alaska formal nights have higher participation rates, on all cruise lines, than Caribbean itineraries but there are always some passengers who go all out and some that choose not to participate. Go with what makes you feel most comfortable, whether that is blending into the crowd or standing out in some way. If you want to wear something "officially formal" but not too uncomfortable, take a dark suit for yourself, and your wife could take a pantsuit or basic black dress and wear a sparkly top/jacket/wrap of some kind. You will blend right in with the majority of passengers.

If you don't own formal wear, I would not go to the expense of buying a tux and formal dress, I would take a dark suit and a dressy dress/pant suit. I haven't been on an Alaskian cruise, but the 2 cruises I have been on, we saw everything from jeans to tuxes. Go in what you are comfortable with and what fits affordably into your budget.

Just returned from Alaska on the Spirit. I saw everything from tuxs that were black, white, yellow, red, one with sparkles, dark suites, sport jacket and a kilt. The ladies wore very formal gowns, short cocktail type, pants with fancy tops,long skirt and top or fancy pantsuit. If you don't want to dress up for the dining room there is always the Lido deck.

As I said, I have no problem in dressing up. :) Actually, I enjoy putting on a tux and having my wife in an evening gown. I just wanted to make sure that things are not more relaxed because it's a different trip as compared to the Caribbean.

Phabric you saw the Kilt too? I was on the Spirit 9/7 as well. Did you see the oriental women in thier Komonos (sp) sorry I know I chopped that up. They were beautiful. My 17 year old son had a great time looking for different outfits and naming which country they came from.

I have to say the Alaskan cruise had to be the most culturally mixed cruise I have ever been on and it was wonderful to see all the formal wear from other countries made the cruise that much more interesting.

Cruises are about doing what you want..... WHEN you want.

If you want go to black tie formal, then by all means you can. If you want to go in shorts and eat at the buffet you can do that too.

I have done both and I for one LOVE to get dressed up - I clean up well, but there have been times where I was just too tired from my day on the ship to get dressed up.

Wearing shorts on an Alaskan cruise is a bit risky.... Breezes tend to get a tad chilly. ;) The main reason I'm asking is because my wife and I love the dining room experience when we're on a cruise. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over dressed, but it sounds like I won't be.

Is there anyone else who has cruised Alaska that might know for sure....?

I was on the 9/7/05 Spirit cruise to Alaska Formal night on this ship is just as formal as on the other ships maybe a bit more so as it is a older crowd. I did not notice anyone in the dining room not dressed up and most of the people walking around the ship were formally dressed during dining hours. Also noticed alot of people did not change after dinner and wore thier formals to the shows.

The attire ranged from very nice suits to tuxes for men and nice cocktail/evening gowns for woman. Saw some people in Kimonos (sp), Kilts and other formal attire forms from the various nationalities represented. ( sorry didnt exactly know how to word that sentence :) )

Hope this answers your questions. If I can answer anything else for you let me know

Archived