The not of this demographic cruise to Alaska (Wonder Aug 2015)

Emperor Norton

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I find bad about mass market lines (or as I recall, even Regent) are art auctions. Not only do they add to the overhead noise chatter and increase the noise to signal ratio the space dedicated to the galleries could serve a much better purpose - I'm sure the crew would like a break area or something. While they have art on Disney I don't recall hearing any announcements for it and it took up a small bit of space along a single small wall. If you have to have art for sale this seems like the best way to do it.

DSC_5347-X2.jpg

Today was the day we were to spend in Tracy Arm and see the Fjords and Djodges, and Cjhevys and a glacier. The weather was the best of the trip. It would have been a great night for an on deck party but the powers that be decided on a later date. That didn't work out.

I was finally able to beat the mob scene at the Beach Blanket Buffet and get some shots before being trampled to death became a possibility.

DSC_5350-XL.jpg

DSC_5351-XL.jpg

DSC_5352-XL.jpg

DSC_5353-XL.jpg

DSC_5354-XL.jpg

DSC_5355-XL.jpg

DSC_5356-XL.jpg

DSC_5357-XL.jpg

DSC_5358-XL.jpg

After shooting my way through the buffet it was time to fight the Parrot Cay buffet. For the record the vilest, most nasty, foul, unholy concoction of "orange juice" that I have ever experienced was on Disney. I'd rather drink Tang or Hi-C. Sorry Disney, if other lines can get a decent concentrate (or fresh squeeze), then for the prices you charge you can too.

After breakfast and before glacier land I had the decks almost all to myself.

DSCN0476-L.jpg

DSCN0477-L.jpg

Edited by Emperor Norton

This is where being on a more inclusive cruise would have had a nice perk; staffers passing around warm libations without need of swiping a room key or charging $10 for spiced swilled wine.

Lunch today was in Tritons. Unlike Oceania Disney was able to cook the burger to the requested temperature.

Starting out were the mozzarella sticks. It's been how many years since I've had these?

DSCN0482-XL.jpg

Bacon cheeseburger cooked to order.

DSCN0483-XL.jpg

DSCN0484-XL.jpg

After dealing with the harsh elements it was time to head inside and get ready for our dinner in Palo. Like for Brunch Palo is above the other restaurants available. Not only in height but in its 18+ requirement and relatively individual service rather than patron #456 of 2700.

The ravioli wasn't too bad and the broth had a good beefy flavor. The risottos were blown out with mushy rice. The pasta was not near al dente. The sauce on the osso buco was quite nice but at that point I was mostly out of room aside for some space for the chocolate souffle which was good. After dinner they served some different sweet shots.

DSCN0490-XL.jpg

DSCN0491-XL.jpg

DSC_5427-XL.jpg

Skagway was a port that Silversea decided to skip in favor of the lawn flamingo capital of the world (Wrangell). On my Crystal trip the weather was crystal clear (sorry) and I took a ride on the White Pass railway. This time around I wanted to explore the town and by explore the town I mean visit the bars and brothel. Thankfully the weather cooperated and I didn't feel as if I'd missed the scenery by staying in town.

Sadly this was a case of a tiny town invaded by cruise ships. The town has about 1k inhabitants, Disney added ~2700, Princess ~3000 and Holland America ~1400. That's excluding any crew that went ashore (Disney staff - you're welcome).

DSC_5419-XL.jpg

DSC_5420-XL.jpg

DSC_5430-XL.jpg

DSC_5423-XL.jpg

That's the town off in the distance

DSC_5424-XL.jpg

Unlike the last visit there seems to be no more docking right in town. Boo. That would mean walking both ways uphill in the light wind and warm rain Alaska was famous for.

Edited by Emperor Norton

It was only about a block or two from the start of town to my first destination - the Red Onion Saloon and brothel.

DSC_5440-XL.jpg

Once inside the saloon there are a few things I'd advise against. This picture shows one of them. It tasted like V8 with a fairly weak vodka added. For only $2.00 more I could have had it "loaded" which would include pickled vegetables and blocks of processed cheese. No thanks.

20150827_104253-XL.jpg

DSC_5441-XL.jpg

20150827_105351-XL.jpg

DSC_5447-XL.jpg

DSC_5465-XL.jpg

DSC_5467-XL.jpg

After a few beers, a bad bloody mary and more hipster bartending skill than I could handle, it was once again into the cold. This time my destination was Skagway Brewing Company. Sadly they too seem to have been infested by a hipster bartender.

20150827_125118-XL.jpg

DSCN0532-XL.jpg

Loaded nacho style tater tots

DSCN0536-XL.jpg

DSCN0528-XL.jpg

Edited by Emperor Norton

I'm not sure what it is, but I found both places had bearded hipster bartenders, both of whom I don't believe should have been in customer service. The women behind the bar were fine - they know how to be polite and notice when glasses went empty.

Skagway Brewing was a bit of a disappointment. It seemed trying too hard to be a microbrew pub. Almost like someone brought a microbrew pub in a box starter kit (don't laugh - from what I recall they offer such things for Irish pubs) and didn't know how to personalize it. In any event I'm not pining for their flat (Flavorwise) beers.

Back into the rain again, I wandered back through town, past a shady character and into an ice cream parlor.

DSCN0500-XL.jpg

DSCN0501-XL.jpg

DSCN0502-XL.jpg

DSCN0503-XL.jpg

DSCN0512-XL.jpg

DSCN0513-XL.jpg

Dinner tonight was in Tritons and "featured" the special Frozen themed dinner menu (awesome weather for a deck party. To be cancelled). Certain people didn't let us know they were canceling and didn't let the staff going out of their way to prepare the baby food know about the cancellation either.

cured meats and cheese appetizer

DSCN0552-XL.jpg

DSCN0553-XL.jpg

DSCN0554-XL.jpg

DSCN0555-XL.jpg

DSCN0556-XL.jpg

DSCN0557-XL.jpg

We were given lighted snowflake necklaces that probably would've looked really nice at a night time deck party.

• 1 month later...

Today we were in Juneau. Thanks in part to both the weather and pricing I happily avoided the Mt. Roberts Tramway. If you haven't been and it's clear - its not a bad way to burn cash but it's not something you'd probably do a second time. Unless you like the hike down the hill.

A

Yes it was one of those days. I guess that means another missed chance at the Frozen deck party.

My destination for the day was the (in)famous Red Dog Saloon. It's very easy to find on the main street and not too far from where most ships dock or tender. Of course we were an exception to the rule and had to bus into the far end of town and then slog through the rain and wind to get anywhere.

A

Supposedly at one point in time Wyatt Earp left his guns here then never came back to claim them.

There is a rather unique feature to this saloon that I haven't seen in the lower 48 recently (probably due to fire codes most places). The saloon still has sawdust floors.

A

A

A

A

This is why ALL Checked luggage should be LOCKED...perhaps someone picking up the wrong bag wouldn't have opened it and would have reported it.....

Considering all that nut case did (ie cover up a name that wasn't his with his own), I bet he would have just snipped the lock and continued on being an idiot.