Carnival Gift Cards - Verizon - Theyre back!!

boygeniusandme

Am I missing something, all you save is $10.00 per $100?

You're not missing anything. It's a discount. And I'll take that over no discount - especially when the points you need cost nothing and requires no effort outside of what you normally do to manage your account. I use the gift cards for everything other than bon voyage purchases and that's only because you can't.

I was just on Verizon Smart Rewards and still see the $100 Carnival cards out there.

I also saw there is a Gift Certificate for Royal Caribbean out there now. WATCH OUT with that Royal Caribbean certificate. I scanned through the Terms and Conditions attached to it and Items 10 and 11 set off all kinds of MAJOR RED FLAGS for me. The way I read them, you have to get the certificate then go see if you can book the cruise you want and it is only good for part or all of the deposit amount then. Here is what several of the conditions say including #10 & #11.

READ ALL THE TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR THE ROYAL CARIBBEAN CERTIFICATE CLOSELY BEFORE BUYING. IT ISN’T ANYTHING LIKE THE CARNIVAL GIFT CARDS.

1. Travel agents, agencies or any other travel intermediary service cannot be used in conjunction with this certificate.

2. Deposit required at time of booking. Upon receipt of certificate any overpayment of booking will be refunded up to the amount of the required deposit applied.

(items 3-9 intentionally omitted by me from posting)

10. Certificate cannot be applied to existing reservations and can only be used towards a new cruise booking.

11. This certificate cannot be applied to ship-board credit, excursions, or gratuities.

Unquote

Edited by LeeRB

I was just on Verizon Smart Rewards and still see the $100 Carnival cards out there.

I also saw there is a Gift Certificate for Royal Caribbean out there now. WATCH OUT with that Royal Caribbean certificate. I scanned through the Terms and Conditions attached to it and Items 10 and 11 set off all kinds of MAJOR RED FLAGS for me. The way I read them, you have to get the certificate then go see if you can book the cruise you want and it is only good for part or all of the deposit amount then. Here is what several of the conditions say including #10 & #11.

READ ALL THE TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR THE ROYAL CARIBBEAN CERTIFICATE CLOSELY BEFORE BUYING. IT ISN’T ANYTHING LIKE THE CARNIVAL GIFT CARDS.

1. Travel agents, agencies or any other travel intermediary service cannot be used in conjunction with this certificate.

2. Deposit required at time of booking. Upon receipt of certificate any overpayment of booking will be refunded up to the amount of the required deposit applied.

(items 3-9 intentionally omitted by me from posting)

10. Certificate cannot be applied to existing reservations and can only be used towards a new cruise booking.

11. This certificate cannot be applied to ship-board credit, excursions, or gratuities.

Unquote

Yes, people do need to be aware of the restrictions!!!!! In the past year I've purchased upwards of $6,000. IMHO it's a pretty sweet deal. Just got $500 yesterday thru Verizon and $500 thru AARP. Now all I need is $3000 for our June cruise!!!! LOVE ME SOME CRUISING!!!!!

Yes, people do need to be aware of the restrictions!!!!! In the past year I've purchased upwards of $6,000. IMHO it's a pretty sweet deal. Just got $500 yesterday thru Verizon and $500 thru AARP. Now all I need is $3000 for our June cruise!!!! LOVE ME SOME CRUISING!!!!!

Just got $500 more yesterday and $500 more today. Just curious, Verizon limits me to $500 in a 24 hour period, how are you ordering a $100 and a $500 in the same order?? In the past I could order how ever many I wanted as long as I had the reward points. I'm not complaining, this does give everyone a chance to get them. IMHO it's made it easier for me to order, I'm not having to stayed glued to my iPad, just check every 24 hr period. LOL

After reading the thread, I went to Carnival.com and put in gift card in the search window. When I placed an order, I did not see a discount.

What did I do wrong

You buy the gift card through Verizon, AARP, and I believe it's a CITI account. They are 10% off and you use points plus money to purchase them. A $100 gift card is 1000 points plus $90. You earn points buy logging in, each month when your bill posts, etc. Really easy. Read just a few posts on another thread a few minutes ago where someone in their 30's joined AARP. Here's what they posted.

"I thought it was for retired persons or persons over 50. I just signed up with my real birthday and I am in my thirties, I just became a member of AARP. I think the other poster is right they don't care how old you are.

You don't need to pay the membership fee to get the gift cards but you do need to register on the online site which is free.

If you are are considering becoming a member I would register on the site first, then sign up for membership because it gives you extra points!"

Do keep in mind, when those discounted cards are available they usually go very fast. You have a limit of 5 cards in a 24 hour period. It's only been very recently the cards lasted the 24 hours. Sometimes the have $100 and/or $500. The $500 card is 5000 points and $450. Takes about a week to receive them in the mail. Think is 59 cents per card postage.

Edited by Swampbaby

After reading the thread, I went to Carnival.com and put in gift card in the search window. When I placed an order, I did not see a discount.

What did I do wrong

The discounts are through the AARP website (I am not familiar with how it works) or the Verizon Smart Rewards program, which I used; not the Carnival website. I think both actually go to the same place because when AARP has the cards so does Verizon and vice versa. I ordered some for the first time last week and they should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

It appears that the 100's come thru the mail and the 500's are sent UPS, anyway I the 500 I bought, I will have to sign for, but the 100's I don't.

Rick

Edited by LeeRB
Added a note about signing for $500 card.

I can't tell you how long I have been trying to take advantage of the 10% discount through Verizon. Everyday...several times per day. Finally this weekend, I scored 5 yesterday and 5 more today (the limit is 5 in 24 hours). They must have listened to us all asking for more cards. Unfortunately I had to cancel my Miracle cruise yesterday....but I'll have plenty of opportunities to use them. Happy girl here:)