iConcierge iPhone app Update

coondogg97

Just an FYI - the iConcierge app was updated yesterday to 3.0.22. Not sure of the new features, version history only says "This version of the app should only be downloaded by guests sailing on 9/19/2015 or later."

It has an updated interface and now you can just tap a "talk bubble" icon at the top right of the app to send a text or make a call. Calling a landline from the iConcierge app is only $.79 a minute, but from what I have read (at least with the old app) the connections were terrible and would drop your call after a couple of minutes. Hopefully that's been addressed in the new app. I will be sailing 10/20-10/27 and will give the app a whirl and report back how it worked. I will try to add screenshots as well.

Edited by coondogg97
Updated to add version number 3.0.22

The app update has caused havoc on the current Breakaway trip.

Buggy and non functional for many. (at least, the Android version)

Wait for a re-release.

OUCH!! the update says:

"This version of the app should only be downloaded by guests sailing on 9/19/2015 or later."

Hopefully it will work for the guests boarding this week.

OUCH!! the update says:

"This version of the app should only be downloaded by guests sailing on 9/19/2015 or later."

Hopefully it will work for the guests boarding this week.

Nope. The updated app crashes upon start on many phones; others, it partially loads and then freezes the phone.

If it is caused by an infrastructure update that hasn't been done yet... then maybe it will be rectified.

Unfortunately, the update "pushed" itself to those onboard this week.

Edited by computerworks

For what ships is this app good? I used it on the Epic' date=' but am sailing on the Dawn next week. Has all the fleet been updated?[/size']

Current ships using it:

Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Star and Pride Of America.

Edited by computerworks

Nope. The updated app crashes upon start on many phones; others, it partially loads and then freezes the phone.

If it is caused by an infrastructure update that hasn't been done yet... then maybe it will be rectified.

Unfortunately, the update "pushed" itself to those onboard this week.

I am holding out hope that it has something to do with the way the new app is reading the old data and that's why the only instructions in the new app are not to upgrade if you are sailing before 9/19. I want to assume if you do you will have issues, which you are having. I can be completely wrong, I am just hoping for the best.

Sorry to hear you were automatically updated. I have been in your shoes before and have gotten burnt. I try not letting anything update automatically anymore, but I know sometimes that's impossible.

Good luck!! Fortunately you only have a couple of day's to deal with the hassle. Thanks for the info and feel free to chime in if anything changes or you hear any further info.

Have a safe trip!

Thanks for the info.

Question: Should I delete my older version of the app, wait until 9/20 to get the new one, and then activate it on November 1st when we board Breakaway?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Here is a screen shot when I tried opening original app:

ImageUploadedByForums1442605221.312727.jpg.1f5305982fd1243fab8c940a9ae77673.jpg

Edited by meatball_nyc

Update - a message came thru today that a revised update will be available for download on 9/20 that should fix the issues.

Great! Thanks for the update. Where did that message come through? In the app or did you get an email?

Thanks for the info.

Question: Should I delete my older version of the app, wait until 9/20 to get the new one, and then activate it on November 1st when we board Breakaway?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Here is a screen shot when I tried opening original app:

[ATTACH]362926[/ATTACH]

The new app should just replace the old app. If you go into the menu and go down to setting you can click "About" and it will show you what version you are running. Just make sure you have the latest version once the new release comes out.

Good luck!

Edited by coondogg97

• 4 weeks later...
Good info. We are sailing on the 26th. I will try to provide feedback on the iPhone app when we return.

I meant to write this while I was on the ship but never got the chance.

I used the iPhone app on my iPhone 6+. It was functional, but definitely has some shortcomings.

- The navigation within app is pretty terrible. Viewing transaction charges for each person in the cabin (which is technically possible) is a very infuriating process. They really need to rethink this

- There is no event planner within the app. You can make dinner and show reservations, but you can't see them plotted on a calendar within the app, export them to your personal calendar or, better yet, get notifications prior to the event to ensure you don't miss the event you booked

- The majority of the apps event information was very vague and generic. There was better information about the restaurants and events on the ship's wall mounted touchscreens

- If you're using the app to text or call your cabin mate (it's main purpose), you have to enable notifications in order to receive their messages. Well, the app also sends a notification whenever you disconnect from the ships Wi-Fi, which happens ever 10 minutes or so even when you're sitting still at a table on the ship. Very, very annoying. Also, the message sent/received notifications seemed to be very flaky because of the shaky connection to the ships Wi-Fi

- The app itself is free, but in order to use the communication features you have to spend $7.95 per person to enable it. If we sail with Norwegian again, I will not spend the $15 on this app to use the communication features onboard again

- There were no maps of the ship within the app. The ship itself (the Getaway) was shown, but no deck plans or navigational aids were available to help orient yourself on the ship (Apple iBeacon program could be a godsend here)

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head. If someone from Norwegian reads this, I'd be happy to consult and help you guys make some improvements to the app.

The app has never worked on my Android, so I'm hoping for an update before January.

I wouldn't count on it. It's gone through multiple updates and releases over the last year or so and it has always been a dice roll whether it will work. On my last cruise on the Epic (April '14), about half of the Cruise critic roll call had problems with it and never got it to work. I believe NCL offered refunds to them, but I don't believe it's ever really worked for Android users. In the months since, I don't think I've heard about any improvement.

In general, NCLs IT and Development services are pretty lacking. Between their website and their app, it's not anything to be proud of.

Edited by NoahtheRed

I'm hoping the NCL people who monitor these boards (we know you're out there! lol) will take note and make some more upgrades. We travel with a large group and one of the upgrades we'd love to see is the ability to do "group" texts or broadcast texts. As far as I know it wasn't available before, but since our next cruise with the group is over a year out I hope to see it. That woul make the $7.95 a very good investment.

Are you listening NCL? :D

I meant to write this while I was on the ship but never got the chance.

I used the iPhone app on my iPhone 6+. It was functional, but definitely has some shortcomings.

- The navigation within app is pretty terrible. Viewing transaction charges for each person in the cabin (which is technically possible) is a very infuriating process. They really need to rethink this

- There is no event planner within the app. You can make dinner and show reservations, but you can't see them plotted on a calendar within the app, export them to your personal calendar or, better yet, get notifications prior to the event to ensure you don't miss the event you booked

- The majority of the apps event information was very vague and generic. There was better information about the restaurants and events on the ship's wall mounted touchscreens

- If you're using the app to text or call your cabin mate (it's main purpose), you have to enable notifications in order to receive their messages. Well, the app also sends a notification whenever you disconnect from the ships Wi-Fi, which happens ever 10 minutes or so even when you're sitting still at a table on the ship. Very, very annoying. Also, the message sent/received notifications seemed to be very flaky because of the shaky connection to the ships Wi-Fi

- The app itself is free, but in order to use the communication features you have to spend $7.95 per person to enable it. If we sail with Norwegian again, I will not spend the $15 on this app to use the communication features onboard again

- There were no maps of the ship within the app. The ship itself (the Getaway) was shown, but no deck plans or navigational aids were available to help orient yourself on the ship (Apple iBeacon program could be a godsend here)

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head. If someone from Norwegian reads this, I'd be happy to consult and help you guys make some improvements to the app.

I have an Android phone. I originally downloaded this in August. Then something happened and it disappeared so I downloaded it again (can't remember when).

I have version 3.0.16. Should I delete and download it again to get the upgraded version? I leave in less than 2 weeks.

Edited by dobiemom