Restaurants near port - Halifax

gunnywife

Can anyone suggest a nice restaurant near the Halifax port? We hope to meet friends and have lunch with them.

My problem is I'm travelling with a mending fractured ankle and walking too far could be a problem. So we would like somewhere near the port.

Thanks for any help.

Lynn

You do not indicate what type of place would interest you. However you can look at this map and see lots of places: https://www.google.ca/maps/search/restaurants/@44.642461,-63.5723655,16z/data=!4m8!2m7!3m6!1srestaurants!2sPier+21+Nation+Builder+Plaza,+Halifax,+NS+B3H+4P7!3s0x4b5a224942585d63:0x768d098a5b87f0b3!4m2!1d-63.5654569!2d44.6382215

The Bicycle Thief came to my mind immediately. It can be very busy and loud at night but would likely be much quieter at lunch time during the week.

You can also check reviews for other places (and not just the named ones; click on the pink dots on the map above): http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g154976-Halifax_Halifax_Region_Nova_Scotia.html

Edited by maryann ns

Hey,

My favourite restaurant in all Halifax is actually like less then 10 min walk from the port.

The Henry House Restaurant & Pub, 1222 Barrington Street. Just two streets up from the port.

I have included a link of the location.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Henry+House,+Halifax,+NS+B3J/@44.640278,-63.570833,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4b5a223609c1612d:0xa0e190ba1ffbd933

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
DH and I love Salty's which is right on the harbour. They have a lower section that is more pub-style, and the more upscale and pricier upstairs level with a view of the harbour no matter what table you're at.

We also at at Salty's this time last year and it was great

Margaritas, scallops wrapped in bacon and then a Lobster roll

but it was a good walk from the terminal

Reagan

Another option could be Café Chianti. Never had a bad experience there.

Close to Salty's (still a good walk IMO) you can get the ferry for the other side of the harbour (Darmouth) and right in the terminal you have Wooden Monkey with excellent locally-sourced organic food and a great view of Halifax and the harbour from the other side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are looking for very good fish and chips in a very simple setting then take the ferry and in the Dartmouth building is Evans Seafood. Great lobster roll, seafood lasagna, fish tacos , etc.. and all very low prices. Their fryers are all gluten free. They also peel fresh potatoes for their fries. Also great clams

• 4 months later...

The Red Stag Pub & Tavern in the Alexander Keith's Brewery Market is fantastic. I'd suggest catching a brewery tour (led by costumed characters) then pop upstairs for eats. There's something on the tour for non-beer drinkers too. Every time we are back in Halifax we take the kids. They love the singing and character re-enactment.

Stayner's Wharf Pub & Grill is another local favourite as is The Lower Deck, and The Split Crow.

If you're willing to walk, up towards the Town Clock, The Alehouse is a family favourite of ours. I highly recommend their Donair Burger!!!

If you are adamant about a seafood restaurant the I would suggest McKelvie's across from the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

I'm a BlueNoser from Nova Scotia and lived 4 years in Halifax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Red Stag Pub & Tavern in the Alexander Keith's Brewery Market is fantastic. I'd suggest catching a brewery tour (led by costumed characters) then pop upstairs for eats. There's something on the tour for non-beer drinkers too. Every time we are back in Halifax we take the kids. They love the singing and character re-enactment.

I second this suggestion and it is a pretty short walk as well.