Current Captain onboard Queen Mary 2

PvTraveler

Thanks for that Joy. I wonder how Captain Oprey is on for. Cunard don't give a Captain's rota any more and unlike some others we really like sailing with him.

Same here. I don't dislike any of the Cunard captains and don't know him personally. But I get the sense that above all else the safety of his passengers and ship is his top priority.

Friends who have boarded QM2 today (December 15th) in Southampton tell me that Captain Wells is the master.
My friends have just confirmed; it is Captain Wells as Master, not Captain Oprey who, just like Joy R, got off today. Edited by pepperrn

And I believe that Chris Wells, along with Christopher Rynd, are the only remaining original Cunard captains in the sense of those who commanded QE2.

Paul Wright, Ron Warwick, Nick Bates have all retired. Ian McNaught is now Master at Trinity House.

Bernie Warner, retired, was not an original Cunard captain. The current relief Captain Oprey may have come over from P&O.

They all are competent mariners, no doubt, who have as their top most priority the safety of the ship and the souls onboard. Some captains, such as Ian McNaught, emerge as favorites among passengers and crew alike for their accessibility and exceptional social skills.

• 6 months later...