Sailing the BC Inside Passage

BEAV

After several cruises to Alaska from San Francisco (our home port), we've booked HAL 7-day round trip Vancouver next year, as we're looking to sail the BC Inside Passage, something you don't get when departing from SF (or Seattle).

So after departing Vancouver, how much of the BC Inside Passage do you get to enjoy on day #2 as well as the last day cruising before ending in Vancouver?

I would say you will spend 8 to 11 hours to get from Vancouver to Port Hardy (Northern tip of Vancouver Island).

• this can vary depending on ship speed and tides
  • which month you go can make a difference on how much sunlight to see the passage when leaving Vancouver and returning to Vancouver.
  • day 2? You will be exiting the passage as you finish breakfast.

There isn't any set standard. I am ALWAYS up at least a half hour prior to dawn- northbound, sometimes, I get a few more hours of inside viewing, other times, the ship is already past, with the Queen Charolettes distant.

Southbound, same wide range, I've sail with entries in the afternoon and Vancouver being seen in the distance, at dusk, other trips- had a late evening entry. This is a very scenic opportunity- with a lot of people being too worried about missing dinner. :) Many times, very few out. Well worth my time, to stay out though dusk. Depends on each person, obviously, my routine isn't popular, but, for me, I sure wouldn't miss it. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

There isn't any set standard. I am ALWAYS up at least a half hour prior to dawn- northbound, sometimes, I get a few more hours of inside viewing, other times, the ship is already past, with the Queen Charolettes distant.

Southbound, same wide range, I've sail with entries in the afternoon and Vancouver being seen in the distance, at dusk, other trips- had a late evening entry. This is a very scenic opportunity- with a lot of people being too worried about missing dinner. :) Many times, very few out. Well worth my time, to stay out though dusk. Depends on each person, obviously, my routine isn't popular, but, for me, I sure wouldn't miss it. :)

Thanks! I feel the same way as you. I can well afford to miss dinner southbound if we're in gorgeous scenery at that time of day/evening.