Daniel Johnson's Monkey and sloth habitat

jorezba

We're planning on touring with Victor Bodden next week with a stop to see his monkeys, but now I'm thinking this place would be better (cool sloths! LOL)... has anyone toured with VB and stopped here? Is that insulting to forgo his monkey place for this one? :o Is it better to switch to Rony, if he has someone available? We want to visit animals and also shop a bit and snorkel.

Bodden's guides can take you here, no problem! We stayed on the island a few months ago and had Victor arrange a guide for the day. He actually recommended stopping at the sloths!

Good stuff, for sure!

I am so happy I found Daniel's Sloth Sanctuary on this thread. We had a wonderful time! We held monkeys, birds and of course my most loved sloths. She was so soft and precious. Daniel talked to us about his sanctuary and how all the animals are cared for. My DH loved that the monkeys enjoyed freedom to be released at around 3:30 each afternoon. They all return though (I think it is because they are all so well cared for at this place). The driver who took us there was hired through Daniel. She was able to take us around the entire day. We ended the day at a resort called Parrot Tree for Monkey La Las. Yum!

Booked many months before the cruise. Got to port on Wednesday, walked up the hill and down again. Daniel and his aunt, Eunice, were there and waiting for us. Eunice gave us a great tour of the island. She was very easy to talk to and VERY accommodating. My wife is in a scooter, so the beaches were out. She took us to a resort, that had a pier type bridge my wife could roll around on. Then it was off to see the Monkeys, Sloth and other animals at Daniels. I got to hold the monkeys, we both got to hold a parrot and the wife was able to hold the sloth. It was the best part of our week long cruise!!! Then it was off to feed the iguanas..another great time. Thank you Eunice!! I hope you see this and we REALLY appreciate the time you gave us!!!

If you have someone in a wheelchair or a scooter, and you dont think there is anything to do on Roatan..please...please...please, look up Daniel Johnson on FB.

I paid with US currency.

Hi everyone,

We have booked with Daniel through f-book and know we have to pay cash upon arrival, but does anyone know if I can pay with American cash or if I have to use a different currency?

Thanks!

It makes me sad to se these types of posts, No matter how well cared for the animals "appear" for a short visit, they are captive, held prisoner. They are not domestic animals, they are not even native to the island, often with these types of things their parents are killed in the wild so the babies can be taken, why not visit a place these animals live naturally in the wild and do a jungle tour so see them living in their natural environment rather than captive?

From what I have read, these animals are rescues.

Hi everyone,

We have booked with Daniel through f-book and know we have to pay cash upon arrival, but does anyone know if I can pay with American cash or if I have to use a different currency?

Thanks!

You may pay in US dollars. Have a wonderful time with the animals. This was by far our best time in Roatan.

You may pay in US dollars. Have a wonderful time with the animals. This was by far our best time in Roatan.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Linda! I am so excited - especially after reading everyone's positive experiences! Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Daniel's cousin(I believe), Herbert, runs Roatan Ocean Adventures. We had a wonderful time with them both: snorkeling, touring the island, seeing iguanas and spending lots of time at Daniel's place. If anyone is looking for the full deal, I recommend Roatan Ocean Adventures. I second the person who said this excursion is why we are going back to Roatan next year.

Daniel's cousin(I believe), Herbert, runs Roatan Ocean Adventures. We had a wonderful time with them both: snorkeling, touring the island, seeing iguanas and spending lots of time at Daniel's place. If anyone is looking for the full deal, I recommend Roatan Ocean Adventures. I second the person who said this excursion is why we are going back to Roatan next year.

Which tour with ROA did you do?

Thanks

Which tour with ROA did you do?

Thanks

We were set up to do the barrier reef/sightseeing tour. It was pretty windy the day we were there so we ended up leaning the reef and heading over to lobster city after maybe 20-30 minutes. We did sightseeing, the iguana park, snorkeling, and finally the monkey park. It was just hibby, our youngest, and myself. Can't wait to take my other kids there next year! Either location is neat...lobster city is more shallow but we saw a LOT more than lobster.I think I'll try the barrier reef again next time.

We were set up to do the barrier reef/sightseeing tour. It was pretty windy the day we were there so we ended up leaning the reef and heading over to lobster city after maybe 20-30 minutes. We did sightseeing, the iguana park, snorkeling, and finally the monkey park. It was just hibby, our youngest, and myself. Can't wait to take my other kids there next year! Either location is neat...lobster city is more shallow but we saw a LOT more than lobster.I think I'll try the barrier reef again next time.

Sorry for all the questions! Were you picked up at the cruise terminal? Did it cost $55/each. Was the snorkeling equipment decent?

Sounds like a good tour.

Thanks!

Sorry for all the questions! Were you picked up at the cruise terminal? Did it cost $55/each. Was the snorkeling equipment decent?

Sounds like a good tour.

Thanks!

Not a problem! They picked us up and dropped is off at the port...pick up outside the gate and drop off was inside. It was a few years ago (summer 2014 I think)...so it was $50 per person then. And yes, the snorkeling equipment was good. Herbert was kind enough to take some pictures and send them to us too. My camera died in the water :(

Not a problem! They picked us up and dropped is off at the port...pick up outside the gate and drop off was inside. It was a few years ago (summer 2014 I think)...so it was $50 per person then. And yes, the snorkeling equipment was good. Herbert was kind enough to take some pictures and send them to us too. My camera died in the water :(

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
We always use Rony's Tours. He can set everything up for you for the whole day - absolutely a great guy!

Agree whole-heartedly about Rony and Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Experience. Both were the high point of our groups day in Roatan. Highly recommended. And holding the sloth is unforgettable.

And yes, these animals are all rescues and would most likely be dead if not for Daniel, including the 2 raccoons that he is rescuing and 1 attacked him while he was caring for them. Left a horrible scar. That's love for animals!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It makes me sad to se these types of posts, No matter how well cared for the animals "appear" for a short visit, they are captive, held prisoner. They are not domestic animals, they are not even native to the island, often with these types of things their parents are killed in the wild so the babies can be taken, why not visit a place these animals live naturally in the wild and do a jungle tour so see them living in their natural environment rather than captive?

I bet this TROLL lives captive in a house. Better sell that house and live in the woods like god intended.

• 5 months later...
Do you need to book ahead? How far from the port is it? Just wondering........looking forward to visiting in February on NCL Getaway!!!

We booked ahead through his Facebook page. It was so easy. It is a ride from the port (not really walkable at least for the three of us) but we had such a great time it passed. The iguana farm is practically next door. The resort was the highlight we still talk about those Monkey La La drinks. I am willing to go to Roatan a third time just for this!

We booked ahead through his Facebook page. It was so easy. It is a ride from the port (not really walkable at least for the three of us) but we had such a great time it passed. The iguana farm is practically next door. The resort was the highlight we still talk about those Monkey La La drinks. I am willing to go to Roatan a third time just for this!

Awesome, is the Monkey hangout on a resort?

I would definitely book ahead through his Facebook page or through Roatan Ocean Adventures. We were just there Thursday. He limits the amount of animal interactions but guarantees a spot if you book through him or ROA. Daniel's place is just animals BUT he can take you other places like a beach resort. With ROA, we had an almost private group this time (2 other people) and last time it was just us. My kids said this was their favorite excursion/port and we felt that way last time too. We did snorkeling (amazing) and Daniels place both times.