Conflicting Info. RE: Free rental car shuttle from POM

moopig

I am trying to find out if there is indeed any free rental car shuttles that will pick us up at the Port of Miami after our cruise and take us to the rental car place for car pick-up. Had a bad experience a few years back trying to get a cab to take us downtown Miami to the rental car place--when the cabbies found out we were only going a short distance, they would take our luggage out and leave! We had to get a police officer involved to get a cab to take us the short distance to the rental car place! It was crazy. Obviously, I want to avoid that mess again. I have seen conflicting info. regarding whether or not car rental shuttles will pick us up at the Pier or not. Thanks!

Hi Moopig,

We reserved an Alamo car at the downtown location and then canc'd it for the very reason you stated (your past experience). Instead, we reserved an Alamo car at MIA after verifying with Alamo that they have a shuttle pick-up right at POM that will take us to the airport to pick up the car. It works for us as we are headed to Key Largo from there and it will probably be easier this way than dealing with downtown traffic.

Thanks for the info. I have looked at the rates for Alamo at MIA, since reading this post, their rates are just way higher. Even looked into non shuttle rental providers and by the time I pay taxi and the lower rate it's still not as good of a deal. I am hoping for better luck then you all speak of. Sorry you all had that experience.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if this works pre cruise? We are dropping off an Alamo rental at MIA, do we have to get a taxi or do they have a shuttle? If we get a taxi what is the rate from the airport to the port?

Alamo, National and Thrifty have a free shuttle from their MIA airport location to the port - you may need to show the driver your car rental receipt.

The flat rate for cab fare from the MIA airport to POM (or the reverse trip) is $27+tip but you should be fine on the shuttle.

It will be easier if the driver drops the passengers and luggage at PortMiami first.

Don't forget UberX can get you to the port for $14-19, which includes tip. Using promo code RIDIN30 on Uber takes up to $30 off your first ride.

It will be easier if the driver drops the passengers and luggage at PortMiami first..

I would not do this - it requires the driver to transit through downtown traffic to get to the port, and again to get to MIA. Between traffic, stopping for gas, dropping off the car, and then waiting for the shuttle it can take an hour plus for the driver to get back to his party at POM.

IMHO it is a better solution to drop the car at MIA and then have everyone in the party ride the shuttle to the port.