Day pass for Moorea Hilton or Sofitel?

gardenMaui

Both offer day use for a fee. Last time I checked both were around $115 which included use of the pool, beach and included lunch with s drink.

If your looking for snorkeling the Hilton is best. The grounds of the Sofitel are more Polynesian.

However, if your looking for a place to relax, swim in the pool and enjoy the amenities the IC Moorea is tops, better than both the Hilton and the Sofitel ..... But the snorkeling is just so so .....

I've stayed at all three several times for several days ;)

The Sofitel allows you to book a day room. No food is included. Last year they upgraded us to an OWB. This was great for DH and DD but since I cannot swim it was a hassle for me as I had to walk around the whole hotel to reach the beach.

The Sofitel is my favourite in any case. Have been in the other hotels as well. Was disappointed that the croque Monsieur is off their menu.

Edited by Emdee

Guess I must have influence, he he, as I had no problem getting day use without a room and it included lunch.

Been going to the Sofitel for 20 years, heck my honeymoon was there. Big long beach as it borders the public beach and it does have a more French feel. Unless things have changed recently I assume the day use is still available, but it has been a few years since we last did it.

Another alternative is Les Tipaniers. No cost to use their beach or changing room, but be polite and ask the desk for permission and tell them you will buy lunch at the beach cafe which is good and reasonable.

For $9 bucks to can get a ride over to the moths and back and enjoy nice snorkeling ;)

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

For years we used to go to the Sofitel no charge.

Then once it was redone they yanked that privilege. In 2011 Sandy from the PG made a call and we were welcomed as long as we ate a meal. In 2013 we spent some time there pre cruise so we arranged to return when we were in port.

Last year we called the concierge in advance and paid for a day room. It's great to have the convenience, towels etc. we just ordered lunch in room service. It certainly worked for us. A bit more than the Hilton but we thought it worth it. As Platinum members they sent us extra water and a lovely fruit tray. We will certainly do it again.

I am partial to the Accor chain, they have some very nice properties worldwide. Even their cheaper hotels Novotel and Mercure are clean and comfortable.

Edited by Emdee

• 1 year later...

We too have been to the Sofitel and they didn't charge us but things have certainly changed since then even though last year we spent 4 days there before our cruise plus we are members of A-Club.

I have just sent off an email to them asking about visiting this year when we are in Moorea on our cruise and the price for a Day Pass isn't cheap at $127 p.p.!!

I will be rethinking where else we can visit for the day as we have seen all the attractions on Moorea over the years.

We too have been to the Sofitel and they didn't charge us but things have certainly changed since then even though last year we spent 4 days there before our cruise plus we are members of A-Club.

I have just sent off an email to them asking about visiting this year when we are in Moorea on our cruise and the price for a Day Pass isn't cheap at $127 p.p.!!

I will be rethinking where else we can visit for the day as we have seen all the attractions on Moorea over the years.

Have you gone to the Lagoon-aquarium on Moorea?

When the PG called for us last month they were told 139$.....maybe I heard wrong. Hilton was $90.00

We planned to go to the Hilton but the taxi driver told us she could drop us off at Temae beach since all we wanted was two hours in the water. We did this both days. Just paid 60$ for the round trip transfer. I intend doing this again. P

When the PG called for us last month they were told 139$.....maybe I heard wrong. Hilton was $90.00

We planned to go to the Hilton but the taxi driver told us she could drop us off at Temae beach since all we wanted was two hours in the water. We did this both days. Just paid 60$ for the round trip transfer. I intend doing this again. P

Can you rent chairs and umbrellas at Temae Beach?

Did the Taxi driver return to pick you up at the required time as I have heard that Temae beach is quite a long way from where the ship is tendered. When we were on Moorea last year in April, I had booked a driver to pick us up at the ferry terminal and take us to the Sofitel for our stay there. I found out that we were lucky we had booked a taxi, as there weren't any spare taxi drivers due to the their being a ship tendered there. I would hate to be stuck on Moorea as that is our last port of call before Auckland!

By the way, I have just heard back from the Intercontinental on Moorea and they charge 9200CFC for the day per person which includes a 3 course lunch. Mind you, I am not so keen on eating a big meal as we will have more than enough to eat on the ship!

Jennie

I made the arrangement with the taxi driver on arrival at the dock. It worked fine. The first day we used Tiare who was really sweet. Day 2 we saw Tewa Wilkes whom we have used in the past so we used him.

The beach on Temae public beach side is very rough in that there are lots of rocks and corals. No chairs or umbrellas. You will need your reef shoes. It was perfect for us as we don't lie on the beach but live to float around in the beautiful calm water.

There are now 20 taxis in Moorea....used to have only 15 taxis. On the first day in Moorea there were three ships and yet there seemed plenty of capacity early in the morning but on our return at 12.30 the dock was semi deserted.

Cost for IC transfer is $ 40 each way. Hilton was $ 20.

I have no problem using the public bus. All you need to remember is the buses set their schedule based on when the ferries come and go. The info below is based on the ship mooring in Cook's Bay.

If your on the mountain side of the road the bus that will take you to the Temae beach will come by 45 minutes prior to a ferry heading to Tahiti. Wave at the buss as it approaches. Tell the driver you want off at the entrance to the beach.

When you want to head back to the ship just be at the entrance road going Temae beach and wave at the bus as it comes by. Figure 15 minutes after a ferry arrives. About $2 bucks USD per person each way. Great way to interact with local Polynesians. We've done it on Moorea and Tahiti.

http://www.terevau.pf/schedules/

http://www.aremiti.net/schedule

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I have no problem using the public bus. All you need to remember is the buses set their schedule based on when the ferries come and go. The info below is based on the ship mooring in Cook's Bay.

If your on the mountain side of the road the bus that will take you to the Temae beach will come by 45 minutes prior to a ferry heading to Tahiti. Wave at the buss as it approaches. Tell the driver you want off at the entrance to the beach.

When you want to head back to the ship just be at the entrance road going Temae beach and wave at the bus as it comes by. Figure 15 minutes after a ferry arrives. About $2 bucks USD per person each way. Great way to interact with local Polynesians. We've done it on Moorea and Tahiti.

http://www.terevau.pf/schedules/

http://www.aremiti.net/schedule

Thanks, great advice and sounds like a hoot!

Does anyone know if either of these hotels offer day passes with lunch & use of facilities? How does one arrange this?

Thanks

Ia Orana gardenMaui,

Paul Gauguin Cruises offers “A Day at the Beach” shore excursions which include lunch. These are offered in Bora Bora at the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, in Moorea at the InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, and in Huahine at the Maitai Lapita Village. For the full descriptions of these excursions, please visit: http://www.pgcruises.com/ms-paul-gauguin/shore-excursions.

Kind Regards,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Edited by CobyTA

I made the arrangement with the taxi driver on arrival at the dock. It worked fine. The first day we used Tiare who was really sweet. Day 2 we saw Tewa Wilkes whom we have used in the past so we used him.

The beach on Temae public beach side is very rough in that there are lots of rocks and corals. No chairs or umbrellas. You will need your reef shoes. It was perfect for us as we don't lie on the beach but live to float around in the beautiful calm water.

There are now 20 taxis in Moorea....used to have only 15 taxis. On the first day in Moorea there were three ships and yet there seemed plenty of capacity early in the morning but on our return at 12.30 the dock was semi deserted.

Cost for IC transfer is $ 40 each way. Hilton was $ 20.

Thanks so much for all this information. I will wait to hear from the Hilton hotel and then decide which hotel we will visit for the day. We like shade and somewhere to sit so perhaps Temae beach is not for us. We do have reef shoes so that is no worry.

Jennie

Thanks so much for all this information. I will wait to hear from the Hilton hotel and then decide which hotel we will visit for the day. We like shade and somewhere to sit so perhaps Temae beach is not for us. We do have reef shoes so that is no worry.

Jennie

FYI, lots of shade at the Thalasso Resort on Bora Bora. The shade (mostly trees) are within 20 - 30 feet of the waters edge. Notice the palm trees next to the beach ... while you swing in the hammock. Also a few umbrellas ...

i-GKDnxmq-XL.jpg

The Le Moana has umbrellas close to the beach. Also some palm trees next to the beach.

i-8JKQmMj-XL.jpg

The IC Moorea has umbrellas, palm trees and hammocks.

i-2PbGkZq-XL.jpg

Thanks for those wonderful photos. I wish I were there now!

I am just waiting to hear from the Hilton hotel on the price for a day pass and then we will make up our mind. We love the Sofitel but they are asking too much so it is between the IC and the Hilton.

Jennie

Thanks for those wonderful photos. I wish I were there now!

I am just waiting to hear from the Hilton hotel on the price for a day pass and then we will make up our mind. We love the Sofitel but they are asking too much so it is between the IC and the Hilton.

Jennie

Hi Jennie ....

IMO this comes down to ....

Best snorkeling - Hilton

Best overall amenities - IC

I've stayed at both ......

The turtle sanctuary at the IC is nice ...

i-96bWh5b-XL.jpg

Typical lunch entree at the IC

i-PDV7tzT-XL.jpg

Hi Jennie ....

IMO this comes down to ....

Best snorkeling - Hilton

Best overall amenities - IC

I've stayed at both ......

The turtle sanctuary at the IC is nice ...

i-96bWh5b-XL.jpg

Typical lunch entree at the IC

i-PDV7tzT-XL.jpg

This looks fabulous! Do they serve this on the ship too!!!

Tahitianbigkahuna,

Once again fabulous photos. It is now down to either the I.C. or the Hilton as both are charging the same amount for the Day Pass.

Which hotel is the closest to the tender pier and you mentioned that the facilities at the I.C. are better, can you expand on that please.

Jennie

Tahitianbigkahuna,

Once again fabulous photos. It is now down to either the I.C. or the Hilton as both are charging the same amount for the Day Pass.

Which hotel is the closest to the tender pier and you mentioned that the facilities at the I.C. are better, can you expand on that please.

Jennie

Depends on which Bay the PG moors in. You won't know for sure until you get there. If it's Cook's Bay the Hilton is closer. If it's the other Bay the Ic will be closer.

As far as the facilities at the IC the inner lagoon is park like, the turtles, Dolphin Quest which is fun to watch, better shopping, pool area is extensive, beach is larger, swim up pool bar, walking trails .... I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Hilton is fine and the snorkeling superior ...