Orlando To Fort Lauderdale

smilepak

Avis/Budget is the same company. I would call the 17th st office and ask if they shuttle to the ships. I think they do....

I agree, they are the same company, but in many areas, the offices are in different locations. Ft. Lauderdale is one of those places where Avis and Budget have different locations.

We cruised on the Allure this past March (loved it by the way) and found flights from FLL to be far more expensive than from Orlando this time. We looked into the cost of a van rental (about $110) and ended up getting 2 cars (about $40 each). We did the 3 hour drive, the toll road exit you will need permits cash payment, so do not worry about that. We saved about $1000 in airfare by doing the 3 hour drive and renting vehicles.

Easy drive.

One thing to watch out for is the car rental companies all charge different convenience fees for using the toll roads. Some are better than other. National is fairly reasonable, something like $3.75/day for each day that you accrue tolls (and only days you do), topping out at something around $15. Dollar/Thrifty/Fox is one of the worst, with something like a $10/day fee, maxing at $50 or so, and requiring opt in when you rent, otherwise you also get hit with an admin fee.

I have done it once before only because I cruised one week on a Port Canaveral based ship and then a FLL ship. So I did the Port Canaveral Cruise and then took the shuttle back to the airport (Cheaper than a car out of Port Canaveral) and drove down. It was almost a 4 hour drive down from the airport.

There is NO RCCL Shuttle for this, and like I said a 3.5 - 4 hour drive (if no delays). (Plus the time to return the car and get to the pier) so unless you want to get up very early in the morning from Orlando - which if getting up early is fine, its not a problem, if you want to sleep in you will have to drive down the night before.

If your round trip will be from Orlando, I would honestly recommend staying over a night in Orlando once you drive back up from FLL. Just because you never know what delays you could have at the rental car area, getting off the ship, etc, you would be pressed for time to make a flight out of MCO.

With that being said... If your airfare rates are anything like mine are lately going to FLL/MIA and you have that many people. If you have the extra time and want to meet with the people in the Orlando area, and don't mind the drive, this may be a very viable option for you.

What kind of shuttle did you use to get from port canaveral and what did they charge?

Seems like it wouldn't be a good use of time to go all the way back to the airport to pick up a car when the rental car agencies are so close.

There is also a Budget agency very close to the port in Fll in a strip mall that shuttles to the port. Used them my last 2 cruises out of FLl.

Bill