Wine on B2B?

Koshlong

We're on Eurodam's relocation cruise, then staying on for its first week in the Caribbean. We have two separate booking numbers. My question is: Can we carry on two bottles of wine each without paying corkage, or are we still limited to one each?

I know that Carnival allows two each, but I really haven't a clue for HAL. We haven't done this kind of cruise since they changed the rules.

We're on Eurodam's relocation cruise, then staying on for its first week in the Caribbean. We have two separate booking numbers. My question is: Can we carry on two bottles of wine each without paying corkage, or are we still limited to one each?

I know that Carnival allows two each, but I really haven't a clue for HAL. We haven't done this kind of cruise since they changed the rules.

At the beginning of the cruise you can each bring on one bottle. The jury is still out on what you can do on the embarkation day of the 2nd cruise.

You are more likely (not guaranteed) to be able to bring a bottle each aboard on the second segment of your cruise rather than four bottles at the beginning when you first embark.

We have heard of those who showed their new key/boarding card on the second part of the b-to-b and were permitted a bottle each without corkage and we have also heard where people were charged corkage.

There is no telling what will happen.

We did back-to-back cruises this past spring on the Zuiderdam (with a few others). It was not a Collectors Cruise. We had 2 separate confirmations for the cruises.

We were still required to go through immigration in Ft Lauderdale.

We were issued one ID card for both cruises and we were given Intransit cards so that we could get right back on the ship if we wanted to. Or we could go ashore and do whatever we wanted to -- and the Intransit Cards -- once we cleared security -- just meant that we did not have to check in and wait to board the ship with the new passengers.

Will they check your packages? No way we can predict that.

Thanks! Maybe I'd better try a phone call. Since we'll be visiting Portsmouth, Boston, and Port Canaveral before we get to Port Everglades, maybe we'll be able to avoid the Customs circus. I hope.

We did not get off the ship on turn around day in Ft. Lauderdale.

We spoke with two other couples that did and they each brought another 2 bottles (one per person) back on when they returned to the ship. They had gotten off the ship and did some errands and picked up some things they wanted for the 2nd week. More wine :-)

Both couples walked back on the ship with more wine.

We tried to do it in Key West and were not allowed to - they took us from us and delivered it on the last night of our 2nd week.

Now it wasn't on turn around day so more likely that we would get caught.

good luck

We to are doing another Collector's cruise on the Eurodam over Thanksgiving this year. So please post back as to what you are able to do after your cruise.

BTW we had only 1 booking number last year and again this year.

Thanks! Maybe I'd better try a phone call. Since we'll be visiting Portsmouth, Boston, and Port Canaveral before we get to Port Everglades, maybe we'll be able to avoid the Customs circus. I hope.

Interesting you are stopping in Portsmouth. I would have thought Portland, ME. Hope you enjoy Canada/NE. Great ports, IMO :)

Sorry, yes, Portsmouth was a typo; we've done a few land trips that included both and my brain and fingers got confused.

From what I've read, Carnival lets you bring on two bottles of wine each when you first board, as long as you can show you're booked on 2 consecutive cruises. I was hoping HAL might do that. I don't really want to get off in Ft. L. to do a wine search The last time we tried that, we spent about 90 minutes waiting in the ONLY non US line (and there were a LOT of us aboard).

Not all cruise lines do what all the others do. Each has their own policies. All we can do is choose the cruise line we sail by which offers the most of what we want.

None are perfect. :)

Having done a great many b-to-b's with turnaround in Port Everglades, unless you are mobility challenged, it is so simple to leave the ship, grab a taxi to Total Wine or one of the markets and buy your wine. If you turn around happens to be a Sunday, keep in mind liquor is not sold until after 12 noon. Of course, by the time you pay for round trip taxi, you have to wonder how much you are saving vs just paying the corkage on two extra bottles you could bring aboard in any port or on embarkation day. ;)

Edited by sail7seas