Beware Anthem Obstructed Balcony Percentages

We are onboard Anthem now (amazing ship) and booked an obstructed view balcony months back through an agent. I used the UK Royal site to select a 50% obstructed balcony as the level of obstruction shows on the UK site and on booking the travel agent confirmed it showed on Royal's system as 50%. However on boarding (cabin 6614) this was the view.

ad3e9fbb3cf05908e974605a57f69958.jpg

Next door, 6612 shows as 75% obstructed but they have a clear view over the lifeboat and no white lifeboat supports like ours. Someone on our roll call cabin crawl had an E1 unobstructed on deck 6 which had a lifeboat up to the rail. I spoke to a guest relations manager and it was clear this has come up before. He said the obstructions were based on Quantum but there were some small variances. He added he was dealing with 4 similar complaints. We resolved the issue with him amicably to our satisfaction but you may want to be aware that if you have booked a 50% obstructed balcony then there is a small risk it may turn out to be more than 50% obstructed.

Its not spoilt our cruise as we are loving Anthem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you're happy with the cabin now - any chance you could get an idea of the obstruction/view from 6626 please?

We too are in 6626 next Sunday :confused:

6626 is just before the hump cabins. Cant see from inside but the lifeboat supports look to be to the right of that cabin in front of 6632 so I think you will have just the 50% obstruction over the top of the lifeboat. The fact the supports are to the right wont matter as you cannot see to the right anyway due to the hump,

We like the deck 6 midships position as you can just walk down to the main decks.

Wow, sounds like your cabin and 6612 have their percentages reversed. This class of ships seems to have more obstructed balconies than any other class in the fleet.

Yes they do but very similar to the obstructed balconies on Celebrity Solstace class. However, they can be found for really good prices, not much higher than an inside sometimes.

6626 is just before the hump cabins. Cant see from inside but the lifeboat supports look to be to the right of that cabin in front of 6632 so I think you will have just the 50% obstruction over the top of the lifeboat. The fact the supports are to the right wont matter as you cannot see to the right anyway due to the hump,

We like the deck 6 midships position as you can just walk down to the main decks.

Thanks. Yeah,I chose 6626 as its close to the stairway/lifts only down one or two decks to the public areas with bars,restaurants,shops etc.

Thanks. Yeah,I chose 6626 as its close to the stairway/lifts only down one or two decks to the public areas with bars,restaurants,shops etc.

Ok, this is the best I could get, taken from the Northstar. Your cabin is second in from where the slope of the hump hits the straight part. You can see the first lifeboat which has its white support arm just outside one of the hump cabins leaving you with a view across the lifeboat. Hope this helps.

53acb30a3f8312700c4717c74775d6f5.jpg

Edited by kevinyork

Ok, this is the best I could get, taken from the Northstar. Your cabin is second in from where the slope of the hump hits the straight part. You can see the first lifeboat which has its white support arm just outside one of the hump cabins leaving you with a view across the lifeboat. Hope this helps.

Thanks Kevinyork,that's all I need spot on

Hadn't even noticed that kevinyork is actually on Anthem now. Hope you are having a great time.Maybe you can answer my questions on Devinly Decadence I posted today......

Looking at the Devinly Decadence on Royal Caribbean website,it's a little confusing. The open times state 11am to 4pm but under "Meals Served" is states Dinner ?

Anyone know the opening times and kind of menu ? Is this restaurant in the Solarium ?

Edited by UK Cruiser2

Hi UK Cruiser2!

Can you let me know the sofa set up when you get onboard/home please? We are 3 ladies sharing this cabin so I expect wardrobe and bed space to be an issue!! Make sure you leave it nice and tidy please :)

Will do. Don't worry,my wife is a nurse and nothing has to be out of place in our house or wherever we stay.:)

Watch out for my post sometime after we return on 24th Oct.

Edited by UK Cruiser2

Hadn't even noticed that kevinyork is actually on Anthem now. Hope you are having a great time.Maybe you can answer my questions on Devinly Decadence I posted today......

Looking at the Devinly Decadence on Royal Caribbean website,it's a little confusing. The open times state 11am to 4pm but under "Meals Served" is states Dinner ?

Anyone know the opening times and kind of menu ? Is this restaurant in the Solarium ?

Yes its on the deck plans as Solarium Bistro. Its a lovely spot. Its open for breakfast and dinner daily and lunch on sea days. We checked it out on embarkation and unfortunately it wasnt vegetarian friendly as lots of dishes had cheese in them but they didnt know if it was vegetarian cheese. Its certainly a quieter spot to eat but to be honest the food has been good to excellent elsewhere so unless you need/want to watch your diet its not somewhere we would choose over the other complimentary venues. And in answer to your other question......we are having a superb time. Anthem is excellent and most we have spoken to have been similarly positive about her.

Hi UK Cruiser2!

Can you let me know the sofa set up when you get onboard/home please? We are 3 ladies sharing this cabin so I expect wardrobe and bed space to be an issue!! Make sure you leave it nice and tidy please :)

There is a pull out bed under the sofa that they will make up nightly. Wardrobe space is actually pretty good. More than the other Royal ships weve been on and plenty of drawers too,

Yes its on the deck plans as Solarium Bistro. Its a lovely spot. Its open for breakfast and dinner daily and lunch on sea days. We checked it out on embarkation and unfortunately it wasnt vegetarian friendly as lots of dishes had cheese in them but they didnt know if it was vegetarian cheese. Its certainly a quieter spot to eat but to be honest the food has been good to excellent elsewhere so unless you need/want to watch your diet its not somewhere we would choose over the other complimentary venues. And in answer to your other question......we are having a superb time. Anthem is excellent and most we have spoken to have been similarly positive about her.

There is a pull out bed under the sofa that they will make up nightly. Wardrobe space is actually pretty good. More than the other Royal ships weve been on and plenty of drawers too,

Thanks kevinyork, you've helped Caravan37 and myself out loads.

Edited by UK Cruiser2

Thank you

Do you have a drinks package? Wondered what the service was like for wines by the glass if on package and not buying a bottle? People have been reporting slow service in bars/restaurants etc

Sorry for the delay, just returned, we had an included Select Package. I upgraded to the Premium package and my OH downgrade to the Royal Replenish as he does not drink and this gives him access to sparkling water and cocktails.

I would estimate 95% of passengers had a drinks package. We, and those we spoke to, never experienced any issue getting a drink at bars or in the restaurants. Sometimes there were busy periods, say on deck on a Sunny afternoon, but they served each in turn and there was no evidence of any preferences being given.

We resolved the issue with him amicably to our satisfaction but you may want to be aware that if you have booked a 50% obstructed balcony then there is a small risk it may turn out to be more than 50% obstructed.

So what was the resolution? Did they give you some OBC or other compensation or just apologize and you accepted? I'm guessing they did not move the lifeboat for you.

I was in a DO initially for my upcoming Anthem cruise (because prices were so high initially), then switched to a D4 when prices dropped, then ended up in a DO during one of my 3 passes thru the guarantee pool (more price drops), only to end up in a D4 again (at the guarantee rate).

Edited by MisterBill99

So what was the resolution? Did they give you some OBC or other compensation or just apologize and you accepted? I'm guessing they did not move the lifeboat for you.

I was in a DO initially for my upcoming Anthem cruise (because prices were so high initially), then switched to a D4 when prices dropped, then ended up in a DO during one of my 3 passes thru the guarantee pool (more price drops), only to end up in a D4 again (at the guarantee rate).

Yes we got OBC.

• 6 years later...