OCD Planner's ~ Jewel ~ 8 Night Pacific NW Vancouver to LA w/San Francisco Overnight

Great review and pictures of the Jewel we sail on her in November :)

Overall I think she was still in great shape. You will have a wonderful time!

Thanks for taking time to comment.

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall I think she was still in great shape. You will have a wonderful time!

Thanks for taking time to comment.

Cindy

Thanks for your review Cindy. We agree that the Jewel is in great shape. We also feel her crew is stellar.

Thanks for your review Cindy. We agree that the Jewel is in great shape. We also feel her crew is stellar.

Hey Rich & Patti! It was great meeting you on the ship. We enjoyed our shared excursion in SF!

I think Jewel has an awesome crew. From the always accessible cruise director Dennis, to the very personable & entertaining Captain Thor, right down to our stateroom attendant Ricardo they just couldn't have done more to make our vacation any better!

Hope to see you guys again on a future cruise!

Cindy

Cindy ....Enjoying reading your review. You should be a travel writer! Turns out we were the stateroom to the left of you in 9660. We thought this was a wonderful cruise and for us the weather was pretty much what we had expected and packed for.. Looking forward to reading as you continue to add to your review.

Mary

Loving your review. We were on this sailing too, i think right beside you. Ricardo was great!

Loved the Jewel and her amazing crew. One of our best cruises ever.

Cindy ....Enjoying reading your review. You should be a travel writer! Turns out we were the stateroom to the left of you in 9660. We thought this was a wonderful cruise and for us the weather was pretty much what we had expected and packed for.. Looking forward to reading as you continue to add to your review.

Mary

Well hello neighbors! Thank you both for following along & taking time to post.

I love itineraries like this one which are out of the ordinary & almost every day is a port day.

I'm glad you both enjoyed your trip as much as we did.

Have a great day!

Cindy

Coming up on Lion's Gate Bridge as we were leaving Vancouver:

IMG_8281_zpsqsqblk0s.jpg

IMG_8286_zpsytehoahs.jpg

The masses on deck for the sail-under:

IMG_8288_zpsnnywhl14.jpg

IMG_8289_zpswuhur7k6.jpg

We just barely squeezed under! I'm sure there was plenty of room but from below it looked really close.

IMG_8292_zpsh9xhqsuy.jpg

Lots of folks watching us sail out and probably wishing that they were onboard with us.

IMG_8293_zps9ph04aks.jpg

Our first port stop was in Victoria, BC which was a new port for us. I think we were the first ones off the ship.

IMG_8304_zpsbcupega1.jpg

IMG_8306_zps6shr60au.jpg

We had reserved a car thru Budget rental which was probably walkable, however it was drizzling rain and windy so we elected to take a $12CAN cab ride. We arrived at the rental office in less than 10 minutes and we're on the road within an additional 15 minutes.

We headed out to Butchart Gardens hoping to beat the tour buses. I had pre-purchased our tickets online for $31.45CAN ($26US) per person a few months ago. The good thing about the tickets, if you don't use them (get rained out, port cancelled, etc.) they are fully refundable.

After a 20 minute drive, we arrived at the gardens about 8:50am.

Let me stop here and say this: I love flowers! I love botanical gardens! If you are not a fan of flora and fauna you may want to skip the next few posts because I will be visually overloading you with pictures of nature at its finest.

IMG_8307_zpscmsjylat.jpg

Since they did not open until 9am, they asked us to just sit in the car at the entrance for 10 minutes and they would then open the gates. We parked right up front and headed in to the gardens. It was heaven on earth! The rain had stopped, the wind died down and their was no one in the park but us!

IMG_8308_zpse8xuafwq.jpg

The Butchart Garden is more than 55 acres of a 130 acre estate. It was the brainchild of Jennie Butchart back in 1904. The area was a former limestone quarry and she was looking for a way to beautify it... I would say she did an excellent job.

By the 1920's over 50,000 people were visiting each year. Today more than a million people walk thru the gates each year. The property is still owned and operated by the Butchart Family. In 2004, after 100 years of blooms, the property was designated a National Historic Site of Canada.

Using the park map they handed us, we followed the suggested routes and were able to see every part of the park and to get some great photos. About the last 10 minutes of our tour the gardens started to get crowded. I was glad that we got an early start and were done before the masses arrived.

Near the entrance area:

IMG_8309_zpsoxy7gkdz.jpg

IMG_8312_zpsbsyazalg.jpg

I also want to point out that all of these photos are straight out of the camera. There has been no photoshopping, no enhancing, no brightening the colors, etc. The colors of the plants were bright and vivid and the garden was truly a wonderful experience.

IMG_8317_zps7wt9pydp.jpg

IMG_8319_zpshishb6a6.jpg

IMG_8322_zpsnuiz7khz.jpg

IMG_8327_zpsm0ujikaa.jpg

IMG_8330_zps1xf0haty.jpg

IMG_8331_zpspsmjxjgs.jpg

The highlight of the garden for me was the Sunken Garden. After taking the stairs down you follow a path to the left which is lined with flowers and trees. Continuing on you come to the Quarry Lake which features the Ross Fountain. The fountain was designed and installed by the Butchart's grandson, Ian Ross, for the 60th anniversary of the garden. The water shots 70 feet in to the air and is illuminated at night.

IMG_8334_zpshovwpuol.jpg

Continuing on the path you pass the bog garden on your left.

IMG_8337_zpsvbk7y6sr.jpg

As you continue up the path you are presented with this phenomenal site:

IMG_8340_zpszgwejt6e.jpg

It was just beautiful! I'm not sure why I didn't take the time to walk up those steps and get pictures from the top... what was I thinking!

IMG_8342_zpssgs3se17.jpg

Following the path as it slopes upward you are greeted with blooms all around.

IMG_8346_zps9zxfbqgb.jpg

Since it was misty rain earlier in the morning, it made for some great photography with rain drops on the flower petals.

IMG_8345_zpsi5cbuem3.jpg

The Children's Pavilion and Rose Carousel are next. The carousel has 30 hand-carved wooden animals and two chariots.

IMG_8347_zpsdjxfv1pp.jpg

Just beyond the carousel are two wooden totem poles which overlook the fireworks field. On Saturdays during the summer there is a fireworks show that was designed by the great-grandson of the Butcharts.

IMG_8355_zpsyoko3u3h.jpg

IMG_8356_zps7tksgdvp.jpg

IMG_8354_zps5jljhmlw.jpg

Continuing past the original Dairy Barn which is now a Pavilion, you are greeted by giant sized dahlias.

IMG_8365_zpsouqgucxr.jpg

Some of these flowers were larger than my hand and almost as big as my head!

IMG_8367_zps5mnxqx1u.jpg

There are several specimen trees in the garden that are 100 or more years old.

IMG_8370_zpsgnaqaljk.jpg

IMG_8372_zpsjqlnmjgs.jpg

The next area is the Rose Garden which features arches leading to a fountain and wishing well. Along the way there are many tea roses marked with their name, country of origin and the year that they were registered with the American Rose Society. Since it was mid-September the roses were not at their peak blooming season which is during July & August.

IMG_8373_zpsc5vc3os6.jpg

IMG_8378_zpslbjgum6w.jpg

IMG_8381_zpswjfbs2wt.jpg

IMG_8387_zpsttxlw4si.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

Past the fountain to the left was a path that led to the Japanese Garden which was begun in 1906. These gardens feature different green plants and trees with various bridges, streams and bamboo arches. It is a very serene area with little surprises along the way.

IMG_8380_zpsps2rywvr.jpg

IMG_8388_zps05ypgg7c.jpg

IMG_8389_zpskqackdab.jpg

IMG_8393_zpsbmqo8p4y.jpg

IMG_8399_zpshu1bcnfr.jpg

IMG_8391_zps31olejzf.jpg

Japanese Gardens continued...

IMG_8392_zpsq6imonwi.jpg

IMG_8395_zps2u4cswed.jpg

IMG_8397_zpsojvxwlvk.jpg

These two are from earlier areas in the gardens. Notice the size of the flowers compared to my hand. Also the design of the stairs and handrails are made to look like trees. Very neat.

IMG_8361_zpspzscenl8.jpg

IMG_8403_zpsyvozioq8.jpg

Beautiful photos Of the gardens. Loved them all. So nice that you were able to get out and arrive before the tour busses. Looks like you had the gardens pretty much to yourself!

Thank you Mary!

It was wonderful being there by ourselves. It made for fabulous pictures.

I hope to get the rest of them posted tonight & then move on to Fisgard Lighthouse.

Cindy

Cindy, just got back from my cruise to Canada/New England on Oct. 3. Now I can cruise along with you on this cruise. I love your reviews and was happy when I found this. Will help with my cruise withdrawal. Pictures and commentary are great so far. Can't wait for the rest of your review.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Gwen :)

Cindy, just got back from my cruise to Canada/New England on Oct. 3. Now I can cruise along with you on this cruise. I love your reviews and was happy when I found this. Will help with my cruise withdrawal. Pictures and commentary are great so far. Can't wait for the rest of your review.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Gwen :)

Thanks Gwen!

I bet you had a wonderful time on your Canada cruise. That is still in my top 3 cruises of all time.

Thanks for following along and taking time to post. I'd love to hear your thoughts along the way.

Cindy

The Star Pond was originally constructed for Mr. Butchart's ornamental ducks:

IMG_8405_zpsux9oa8kt.jpg

Just past the pond you enter the Italian Garden thru one of two arched entrances. Nearby there is a statue of Mercury. In the center of the Garden is a cross-shaped pond surrounded by flowers and in the center of the pond is a fountain of a child holding a fish. This area was originally the family tennis court prior to 1926.

IMG_8411_zps2ym0visc.jpg

IMG_8408_zpschzj4rmt.jpg

There is a Gelato shop in this area without door seating and these amazing window box planters.

IMG_8409_zpsif9nfseq.jpg

The building that the planters are on was at one time home to a bowling alley. Just beyond the garden is this gorgeous display.

IMG_8415_zpstuwkoz32.jpg

IMG_8419_zpsaxl4dbkm.jpg

The back area where the Italian Garden is located:

IMG_8406_zpsdnhwfi9z.jpg

The Show Greenhouse has some wonderful plants and blooms such as huge orchids, black calla lilies and more. It is located in the Piazza.

IMG_8417_zpsa6neb1tv.jpg

IMG_8421_zpso99klzla.jpg

IMG_8422_zpsccqnzqkl.jpg

The front of the residence which now houses a restaurant.

IMG_8416_zps1d73wrel.jpg

Back of the residence:

IMG_8386_zpsoh8y2rsb.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

The final area is Waterwheel Square and it is basically just past where we started our tour. It has a beautiful pond with lilypads.

IMG_8425_zpsjb0jet5g.jpg

IMG_8427_zpsdjx88rmz.jpg

There is a giant chess board:

IMG_8314_zpsfl9blqtb.jpg

The areas are all so clean, even the trash receptacles are covered in blooming plants.

IMG_8317_zps7wt9pydp.jpg

We (ok, well I) loved Butchart Gardens, I think hubby enjoyed seeing the big grin on my face at the turn of each corner.

It is the cleanest, most well laid out, gorgeous botanical garden that I have visited to date. I loved that there weren't placards posted every where with botanical names on them - it was just like an unbelievable huge landscaped yard. I could have spent the entire day here enjoying the different garden "rooms" and the peaceful serenity. At least with us arriving early it was peaceful for us.

We probably spent about 1.5 hours here and were able to see all of the gardens and the shops. I could imagine it being a frustrating day for me personally if we had arrived after all the tour buses got there.

Finally... that is it for Butchart Gardens. I can't promise that you will not see anymore flowers along the way... just saying' :)

Up next a quick trip to Fisgard Lighthouse and Fort Rodd Hill before we head back to the city of Victoria to explore.