How about the entertainment?

Dauntless

So, I have heard about about the musical trio, the piano performer and the cast of eight performers that seem to be doing a fine job for the size ship they are on and the venues that are available. What can you expect in the theater and how often are the shows repeated? Now, I'm not talking about the enrichment programs. Are the shows presented more than once a night? Although, there is no extra charge, I hear tickets are needed. Also the other venues that are used for entertainment. I understand that some are held in the Torshavn, the Living Room in the Atrium, by the pool,maybe even the Explorer's Lounge, I know there is a piano there. I've heard about a James Bond type show, a Rat Pack show and Beatles tribute. Is this schedule available when you board or is it divulged the night before the performance in the Daily sheet? This might effect how dinner is arranged or on those longer stays in port, whether there is a need to rush back to the ship or linger on shore. I also heard about a single performer that puts on a show but I can't remember the specifics--the comments were favorable. I am taking the cruise for the destinations but I want to be able to fully explore the options that are available on the ship as well. I know things may change but what has the experience been so far?

• 2 weeks later...
So, I have heard about about the musical trio, the piano performer and the cast of eight performers that seem to be doing a fine job for the size ship they are on and the venues that are available. What can you expect in the theater and how often are the shows repeated? Now, I'm not talking about the enrichment programs. Are the shows presented more than once a night? Although, there is no extra charge, I hear tickets are needed. Also the other venues that are used for entertainment. I understand that some are held in the Torshavn, the Living Room in the Atrium, by the pool,maybe even the Explorer's Lounge, I know there is a piano there. I've heard about a James Bond type show, a Rat Pack show and Beatles tribute. Is this schedule available when you board or is it divulged the night before the performance in the Daily sheet? This might effect how dinner is arranged or on those longer stays in port, whether there is a need to rush back to the ship or linger on shore. I also heard about a single performer that puts on a show but I can't remember the specifics--the comments were favorable. I am taking the cruise for the destinations but I want to be able to fully explore the options that are available on the ship as well. I know things may change but what has the experience been so far?

Most of what you say is true- at some point. For example, a few shows required tickets (high demand ones in Torshavn). Watch the Viking Daily for these so you can grab tickets ASAP. The Beatles tribute was in the pool area, and people simply walked in. It was quite full of people and I really enjoyed it. We actually saw a "preview" a day or two before when they were practicing in the pool during the afternoon. I don't think they repeated that show, but maybe(?). The ABBA tribute was in the theatre and was quite full, also. I believe they may have done that one twice. NO tickets required. Just show up.

If you know you want to see a certain act, stop in the Explorer's Desk and ASK when it might be. They'll probably tell you. Another way to find out more is to talk with performers as you see them around the ship or on excursions. Sometimes they go along as the Viking staff member with the contracted guide.

The classical trio and pianist rotate around Atrium and Explorer's Lounge just about every evening. The Viking Daily gives times. After a while you figure out the pattern. They typically perform for about 45 min then change to another venus where they start up again (with different music)about 45 min later, as I recall.

Getting hold of the Viking Daily when it first comes out (around 6:30 pm) down by the Explorer's Desk is great for learning about things early. The ones delivered to your room may not get there until 8 or so.

The musicians are VERY talented, though the singers sometimes perform music they clearly never knew until they learned it for the Star (20-somethings singing Beatles tunes from the 60s).

Have fun!

Eaglewatchers' summary is excellent. I just got off Star 2 weeks ago. A glance at the Daily papers for our cruise (Empires of the Med, Venice to Istanbul) might give you a better idea of when things are scheduled. For the most part the shows are at night, but there were a few surprises, like a 6:30 show in Star Theater or Torshavn (repeated later). For example, see the dailies for Athens and Kusadasi/Ephesus. Viking Daily papers are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 - at very end of "Viking Star and Misc Documents" gallery.

Edited by roothy123