Got cabin assigment 😤

vmcpa

It's obvious that you understand what you are agreeing to with a GTY. I don't understand why anyone would book this way if they have issues with certain locations and/or cabins?!:confused:

Several reasons. One, it's a lot less expensive. Two, there's a slight chance for upgrade. And three, the cruise line does allow you to move if you don't like your room. Their rules, not ours, so I don't know why some people feel the need to flame. :confused:

Edited by Aquahound

Several reasons. One, it's a lot less expensive. Two, there's a slight chance for upgrade. And three, the cruise line does allow you to move if you don't like your room. Their rules, not ours, so I don't know why some people feel the need to flame. :confused:

I don't think anyone is "flaming". I think it's good to be realistic and not give false hope. If the cruise is sold out and all rooms are assigned where would they move you to? If moves were under the control of the person that books why would anyone choose their room?

You actually can walk out onto it, but there are no chairs. You can only stand.
The arm-less desk chair will fit.

Several reasons. One, it's a lot less expensive.
No, they are not ... at least not on HAL. Before the re-categorization, several times we booked "VE guarantees" in order to avoid the possibility of getting a deck 4 VF with the steel railings. The VE gty price was always exactly the same as a specific VE. Now if you choose a general "verandah guarantee" you pay a VH price, which of course is less than any higher category.

Two, there's a slight chance for upgrade.
We've been upgraded on all nine of our guarantees.

And three, the cruise line does allow you to move if you don't like your room.
Maybe ... if other cabins of the same category or lower are available. We've tried twice, and couldn't either time. One of those times cabins at a higher level were available for an increased price.

Edited by jtl513

No, they are not ... at least on HAL. Before the re-categorization, several times we booked "VE guarantees" in order to avoid the possibility of getting a deck 4 VF with the steel railings. The VE gty price was always exactly the same as a specific VE. Now if you choose a general "verandah guarantee" you pay a VH price, which of course is less than any higher category.

I was just talking from my own experience. A couple months ago, I booked a VH GTY on a 10 nighter for $999. The cheapest balcony room if I wanted to choose was $1299 (I guess that's a VE). Had the VH been the same price as the VE, I would have chosen my own room.....but it's hard to ignore the $600 savings for 2.

I don't think anyone is "flaming". I think it's good to be realistic and not give false hope. If the cruise is sold out and all rooms are assigned where would they move you to? If moves were under the control of the person that books why would anyone choose their room?

I agree it's good to be realistic. I know what I get in to when I book a guarantee. But that doesn't mean it hurts to call them up and ask for availability, right? In fact, with the way HAL waits until a week before cruising to assign rooms, I would expect there to be no availability, but there's still no harm in asking.

That said, I don't exclusively sail HAL. Other lines, such as Celebrity and RCI tend to assign GTY rooms within a few days of booking. That means there is a ton of availability and it is a cinch to get moved.

I agree it's good to be realistic. I know what I get in to when I book a guarantee. But that doesn't mean it hurts to call them up and ask for availability, right? In fact, with the way HAL waits until a week before cruising to assign rooms, I would expect there to be no availability, but there's still no harm in asking.

That said, I don't exclusively sail HAL. Other lines, such as Celebrity and RCI tend to assign GTY rooms within a few days of booking. That means there is a ton of availability and it is a cinch to get moved.

Yes, there is no harm in asking. I just don't want posters to go into it thinking that if they don't like what they have it will be a certainty that they can change it.

I most certainly was NOT "flaming" anyone! I was asking a legit question. I have spoken with many people who do not care what kind of room they have as long as they have a place to sleep and bath. I understand why they would book a GTY if it means saving a few dollars. However, if you really care about what room you are staying in (which I do) then I'm curious as to why they would set themselves up for disappointment.

I most certainly was NOT "flaming" anyone! I was asking a legit question. I have spoken with many people who do not care what kind of room they have as long as they have a place to sleep and bath. I understand why they would book a GTY if it means saving a few dollars. However, if you really care about what room you are staying in (which I do) then I'm curious as to why they would set themselves up for disappointment.

Sorry....I didn't mean you were flaming. It just seemed like a couple of the other responses were a little over-opinionated for such a non-issue.

As for the disappointment part...I don't think it's a matter of disappointment. For me, at least, it's just been a matter of playing the game and trying to jockey for a better location. If the answer was no, I still would have been perfectly content. After all, that's what I booked.

Edited by Aquahound