Yoga? on Infinity? in Alaska?

RoxiRoo

Hello All,

Does X offer Yoga classes on Infinity - specifically for their Alaska cruises? I got the "Take care of your Selfie" email today, and now I am wondering if I can get in on some yoga, but can't find it anywhere on the website for what cruises it is actually on.

Also, if there is yoga, do they supply mats? And is it indoors? I do understand there is an additional charge for it.

Thanks all!

Go into the gym on your first day and meet the staff. They will show you where to sign up. There might be a charge. A few weeks ago I was on the Solstice and did the Zumba classes. I do not do Zumba at home but I really enjoyed the class on board. I think it was $10.

Yes, yoga/pilates/spin & "boot camp" classes are all offered at a price. It might be up to about $12 now, and they do add the gratuity. You won't have yoga every day; it usually alternates with pilates.

Mats are provided, but are rarely cleaned. Swab yours down before your class. Disinfectant wipes and small towels are readily available in the gym. I often bring my beach towel from the cabin to make a cushion for seated positions.

But here's the warning flag: You CANNOT expect that you will get an experienced yoga instructor. That's why they call it "Pathway to Yoga." Kind of setting up a lowered expectation for you. These outsourced fitness teachers come from widely varied "fitness" backgrounds. Most are Eastern European or South African, Australian, or British. Sometimes they're soccer players or other sport players, body builders, personal trainers. On occasion you'll luck out with a girl who has a dance/yoga background, but that doesn't happen too often.

When these people are hired, they get a couple of yoga and pilates "seminars" during their training for the ship. They learn only the basics.

There will possibly be two instructors for the gym. Usually, they do try to put the one with the most experience to do the yoga/pilates. I can tell you that I've had mostly simple, average classes, and some have been so poor that groups of us were reimbursed our fee. But you make the best of it, enjoy the relaxing music and the camaraderie of other yoga practitioners. You tune the workout according to your own ability. Make the experience your own.

And if you're really lucky, you might get classes taught by the lovely Brazilian girl who worked on my recent Silhouette cruise. Former ballerina, belly dancer, zumba professional, and long time yoga practitioner ... best classes I've ever had on a ship!

I'm sure that you'll make the best of what's offered. Happy sailing!

Ohmmm,

AC Stew

Yes, yoga/pilates/spin & "boot camp" classes are all offered at a price. It might be up to about $12 now, and they do add the gratuity. You won't have yoga every day; it usually alternates with pilates.

Mats are provided, but are rarely cleaned. Swab yours down before your class. Disinfectant wipes and small towels are readily available in the gym. I often bring my beach towel from the cabin to make a cushion for seated positions.

But here's the warning flag: You CANNOT expect that you will get an experienced yoga instructor. That's why they call it "Pathway to Yoga." Kind of setting up a lowered expectation for you. These outsourced fitness teachers come from widely varied "fitness" backgrounds. Most are Eastern European or South African, Australian, or British. Sometimes they're soccer players or other sport players, body builders, personal trainers. On occasion you'll luck out with a girl who has a dance/yoga background, but that doesn't happen too often.

When these people are hired, they get a couple of yoga and pilates "seminars" during their training for the ship. They learn only the basics.

There will possibly be two instructors for the gym. Usually, they do try to put the one with the most experience to do the yoga/pilates. I can tell you that I've had mostly simple, average classes, and some have been so poor that groups of us were reimbursed our fee. But you make the best of it, enjoy the relaxing music and the camaraderie of other yoga practitioners. You tune the workout according to your own ability. Make the experience your own.

And if you're really lucky, you might get classes taught by the lovely Brazilian girl who worked on my recent Silhouette cruise. Former ballerina, belly dancer, zumba professional, and long time yoga practitioner ... best classes I've ever had on a ship!

I'm sure that you'll make the best of what's offered. Happy sailing!

Ohmmm,

AC Stew

And you have summed it up well!!

I tried yoga on my first cruise and was worried about the seniors trying it as she watched no one and explained nothing. I saw so many in bad positions.

Then on another cruise I tried pilates. Just as bad. I know the importance of the right position. I didn't bother going back to either as it was too upsetting watching the beginners.

Then at the end of a stretch class they had everyone swing their heads in circles!! Not good!!

Yes, that's true. Sometimes, after a less than satisfactory "Yoga" class, I'll stay after and try to do more poses and stretches. (Taking advantage of being warmed up.) However, it's difficult to concentrate. A steady flow of gym goers walk across the floor in and around you. People stare. It's noisy and bright ... not optimum conditions for a yoga practice.

Another option, if you're an early morning person: Most cruiselines seem to follow the same schedule, in that they offer a 7:00 or 7:30 AM stretch class. And these 30 minute classes are still free!

Cheers,

AC Stew

PS> If you try the class, and you get 20 minutes of sun salutes and little else, followed by 15 minutes of corpse pose, ask for your money back. You'll get it.