Extension cords/power strip

Are power strips with an extension cord allowed onboard? I have been reading conflicting things.

We have had them confiscated before. However, we've had good luck with the ones without the extension cord.

I've never had mine confiscated....I always put it in my carry on. My last cruise I took this instead of a power bar as it's compact and I like the usb outlets

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS

I have also used this on all our cruises and never had it confiscated. Always take on carry on with a bunch of other power cords around it for camera, etc.

I've never had mine confiscated....I always put it in my carry on. My last cruise I took this instead of a power bar as it's compact and I like the usb outlets

Used the exact same one on the Freedom the week of October 4th, attendant knew about it because half the time we left the hair dryer plugged in and it was put away when we got back to the room.

We can't buy those in Australia, (made for Aust 3 pin plugs) don't think they make them, such a nuisance as our only option are the power boards that have a short electrical cord attached or a double adaptor, with a 2nd adaptor to change from aust to the euro 2 round pin plugs. Can't really use the US power points in the cabin as our stuff is all 240v. Charging in 110v would take a really long time.

I don't need a power strip, But I do need my extension cord for my small fan I plan on bringing as both are for my medical condition of my feet.... If they confiscate either they better supply a fan or I'm screwed..... Haven't had either taken on Princess last year nor RCCL the year before, But if .....

Edited by jagmanss1

Are power strips with an extension cord allowed onboard? I have been reading conflicting things.

The power strips that tend to be confiscated are those that have surge suppression built in. Surge suppressors can cause problems with the ship's electrical system, so there are warnings concerning their use onboard ships and therefore the insurers don't want them onboard. Power strips without surge suppression are generally less expensive, and are generally allowed onboard. The Belkin "wall wart" that Bob and others have mentioned are generally allowed onboard, despite the fact that they are surge suppressors, because on security scans they do not look like power strips. There are similar "wall warts" available, with both US 15 amp receptacles and USB ports that do not have surge suppressors, you just have to google them.