RCI Freedom of the Seas v. Norwegian Jewel

RobNC2001

I'm trying to decide between these two ships for a winter 2007 cruise. I've been on RCI's Mariner of the Seas and loved it. I'm booked on the Radiance for January of '06. Would I find the same level of service and fun on the Norwegian Jewel? Other than Freestyle Cruising, what, if any, are the differences between Norwegian and RCI?

Thanks for your help. This board is always a source of great information.

RCI has WAY more activities on deck than NCL. NCL doesn't have Mini Golf, ice scating, flowrider, in-line skating, rock-climbing wall, sports pool, H20 zone water park, adults only solarium and royal promenade, just to name a few things. Go with freedom. If you like Mariner, then you will love Freedom.

I'm trying to decide between these two ships for a winter 2007 cruise. I've been on RCI's Mariner of the Seas and loved it. I'm booked on the Radiance for January of '06. Would I find the same level of service and fun on the Norwegian Jewel? Other than Freestyle Cruising, what, if any, are the differences between Norwegian and RCI?

Thanks for your help. This board is always a source of great information.

If you love MOS, FOS will be just like it, only bigger, with more stuff to do. NCL Jewel is smaller than both, so much less to do. We do like NCL Freestyle dining more than the RCI two seating system. If Jewel is anything like the Sun, which we've been on, the variety of dining options is impressive.

• 11 months later...
RCI has WAY more activities on deck than NCL. NCL doesn't have Mini Golf, ice scating, flowrider, in-line skating, rock-climbing wall, sports pool, H20 zone water park, adults only solarium and royal promenade, just to name a few things. Go with freedom. If you like Mariner, then you will love Freedom.

The new Pearl does have a rock climbing wall.

Naturally it's all a matter of personal taste, but just the color scheme of NCL cabins is enough to discourage me from ever sailing with them. :eek: It's all neon colors and bold swirly patterns . . . everywhere . . . (shudder).

But I guess it's a good thing we don't all have the same tastes, otherwise we'd all be fighting for the same cruiseline, same ship and same itinerary! :)

i think it depends on what you want from the cruise. If you want to just relax and eat whenever you wish then NCL would be fine. I am sure they are nice ships although my only experience is from my nephews who are kids and they were totally bored on a 9 night out of NY to the caribbean.

If you want the sports activities that the Freedom class or even the voyager class offers that is the answer. We cruised many times with CCL until I realized that the only thing on the ship for the kids and us to do with them was swim with them and watch them come down the slide( which was forever closed). So we tried RCI and found so much more to do.

i think it depends on what you want from the cruise. If you want to just relax and eat whenever you wish then NCL would be fine. I am sure they are nice ships although my only experience is from my nephews who are kids and they were totally bored on a 9 night out of NY to the caribbean.

What ship and what were the ages of the kids?

Archived