Whining about Wine

innlady1

At any of these points, were you given the option of paying corkage, or was handing over the wine the only thing you could do?

Not the person to whom you asked the question, but we were always given the opportunity to pay corkage at intermediate ports. We just approached the booze sentry and told them that we would like to pay corkage so we could take our wine to dinner. The answer was always yes, and the beverage department staff member would offer to take the wine to our steward for storage. We could also take it to our cabin, which was always our choice.

At any of these points, were you given the option of paying corkage, or was handing over the wine the only thing you could do?

We to asked about corkage at that time - I felt that they weren't informed - you could tell that this wasn't the normal crew handling the table at that particular time when we came back on the ship. We asked them explicitly to check with their supervisor (whom was available at the time) they said they would - even wrote it down - but we never heard back. They did deliver it that last night of our cruise.

We to asked about corkage at that time - I felt that they weren't informed - you could tell that this wasn't the normal crew handling the table at that particular time when we came back on the ship. We asked them explicitly to check with their supervisor (whom was available at the time) they said they would - even wrote it down - but we never heard back. They did deliver it that last night of our cruise.

I did find on one cruise that they wanted to take the wine. I told them we would pay the corkage and there was a very surprised look on their face.

But, they did let us pay the corkage. There were just a few slips there so it looked like most people just gave up their wine.

You are nicer than I - if I wanted the wine for the cruise I would have told them we were paying corkage and taking our wine with us (nicely) and to write it up. ;)

If they had to get a supervisor to help - so be it.

You are nicer than I - if I wanted the wine for the cruise I would have told them we were paying corkage and taking our wine with us (nicely) and to write it up. ;)

If they had to get a supervisor to help - so be it.

Been there - done that. ;) Twice ;)

The first time was shortly after the change in policy. The actual cellar master came (... lucky for us, we knew each other from a previous cruise ...) and everything was sorted out quickly. We paid and were on our way.

The second time, the minute I said "Call someone who knows", suddenly everything became OK and I was even allowed to go forward without paying the corkage fee, which we later paid in the MDR.

they said he wasn't available???

After reading the experiences here though - next time I will say "then call somone who knows".

As it turned out when we drank it at home it was terrible wine. So maybe it was the Wine God's not wanting us to pay anymore for the wine :eek: in corkage fee's.

I believe what happened to the wine it had gotten too hot. We bought it from a store that was close to the pier in Key West - the gal had all the doors open in the shop and it was HOT. We should have paid attention to that - another lesson learned.

We ended up buying some additional bottles on the ship from one of the guy's in the Lido area who was selling a two bottle package. It wasn't the greatest but it wasn't priced badly either.

For our upcoming cruise on the Eurodam we have decided to buy what we know we like and just pay the corkage up front. It still turns out to be less expensive than what they charge on the ship even after paying the corkage fee. And, we can keep it cool in our insulated wheeled wine bag.

And, if we happen to run out then I know the magic phrase to use next time - THANKS

Edited by hugger