Whining about Wine

innlady1

Not whining but it's a catchy title for a thread! :cool:

We're booked on a B2B this winter...not a Collector's Cruise...as our TA's agency was running a special for the 1st week so it worked out better price-wise.

Wondering how/if we could bring on a bottle of wine per person for each cruise at the initial embarkation? Or will they take the bottle for the 2nd voyage and give it back to us the last night of the 1st segment. Not worth it to take a cab to Total Wine just for a bottle of wine per person on turn around day.

Not a big deal as we're 4 star and have the 50% discount on the wine packages, but I do like to take advantage of bringing on what we can.

Thanks in advance.

I've seen recent posts where people reported it going either way. (Can't find them using the CC search, but I know that the posts exist.) The person who was successful presented both sets of cruise documents and made the argument that it was two separate cruises.

I guess it really depends on whether or not you want to risk paying corkage on that second bottle. However, you should definitely make sure that you have both sets of your itineraries and cruise docs handy. If you put the second week's docs in your checked luggage, you can't really make the argument.

Not whining but it's a catchy title for a thread! :cool:

We're booked on a B2B this winter...not a Collector's Cruise...as our TA's agency was running a special for the 1st week so it worked out better price-wise.

Wondering how/if we could bring on a bottle of wine per person for each cruise at the initial embarkation? Or will they take the bottle for the 2nd voyage and give it back to us the last night of the 1st segment. Not worth it to take a cab to Total Wine just for a bottle of wine per person on turn around day.

Not a big deal as we're 4 star and have the 50% discount on the wine packages, but I do like to take advantage of bringing on what we can.

Thanks in advance.

I would imagine your hunch about getting the second bottle back after leg 1 is correct but I bet Ship Services can give you the precise answer and take the guess work out

I wonder the same thing - next year we have 3 cruises in a row, the first two are a Collector's Cruise, then the third has a separate booking number. I'm not sure how it works, if we will get new key cards for the separate cruise. If we do, I would imagine we can bring on more wine? I suppose it's worth a try, and if we have to, just pay the corkage.

I wonder the same thing - next year we have 3 cruises in a row, the first two are a Collector's Cruise, then the third has a separate booking number. I'm not sure how it works, if we will get new key cards for the separate cruise. If we do, I would imagine we can bring on more wine? I suppose it's worth a try, and if we have to, just pay the corkage.

I would say you can absolutely bring a new bottle for each booking number you have...

Collectors Voyage vs back to back (saying that a collectors is really 2 cruises but you have one booking number) could be an uphill battle but as you're doing a B2B2B and they don't really market the sailings that way you at least have 2 sailaways that shouldn't have a problem. Again though, as I mentioned to OP you may want to ask Ship Services so you know what procedures to expect

This is what is on HAL's web site:

Revised Policy effective 2/4/15

Each guest 21 years* and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

*For voyages that depart from and return to Australia and/or New Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge. All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

So it appears that you can bring wine onboard after initial embarkation day at any port and but pay corkage on it.

Whether anyone will be checking to see if you have one or two booking numbers seems unlikely, so my guess would be that one will not pay corkage the second time.

Edited by Boytjie

This is what is on HAL's web site:

Revised Policy effective 2/4/15

Each guest 21 years* and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

*For voyages that depart from and return to Australia and/or New Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge. All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

So it appears that you can bring wine onboard after initial embarkation day at any port and but pay corkage on it.

Whether anyone will be checking to see if you have one or two booking numbers seems unlikely, so my guess would be that one will not pay corkage the second time.

except, if I am understanding the OP, they don't want to make a trip to Total Wine so I think they want to bring both bottles on their first embarkation?

So her question is will they hold the second bottle and return it to them on the last night of the first cruise? Or allow both bottles?

Edited by kazu

Wondering how/if we could bring on a bottle of wine per person for each cruise at the initial embarkation? Or will they take the bottle for the 2nd voyage and give it back to us the last night of the 1st segment.

If they did allow you to keep two and they kept two for return later, I suspect that it would be at the end of the second leg, not the first. While there are ticketing differences between a B2B and a Collector's Cruise, for all practical purposes you are booked for the duration. You won't get a sheet for your disembarkation choice during the first leg and IMO you won't get your wine either.

Like the 2 x 375ml versus 1 x 750ml bottle question, there is logic behind your request, but I find that the policy application is always based on the question "Does the policy specifically allow it?" instead of"Does the policy specifically disallow it?" :(

except, if I am understanding the OP, they don't want to make a trip to Total Wine so I think they want to bring both bottles on their first embarkation?

So her question is will they hold the second bottle and return it to them on the last night of the first cruise? Or allow both bottles?

I kinda misread the OP. :)

Since they hold liquor and beer, I am sure if OP asked them to hold it, they would. It would be as if they declined to pay the corkage so the ship holds it.

If they did allow you to keep two and they kept two for return later, I suspect that it would be at the end of the second leg, not the first.

I have read here about people buying alcohol (even duty free onboard) on a B2B cruise and having it returned on the last night of the first leg. The crew most likely doesn't make note of which bottles are on a B2B and which are on a single leg so they return it all at the same time.

Edited by Boytjie

Yes, this is what I am asking.

For example, we bought Gosling's rum when we were in Bermuda. It was delivered to the ship and left in our stateroom the last afternoon of the cruise. I wonder if this same thing happens on a B2B? We have 2 booking numbers. I guess my best bet is to email or call Ship Services.

Edited by innlady1

Or, can they buy wine in some port after embarkation and have it held corkage-free, but returned after the first cruise? That might be an easier sell at the gangway than trying to get doubles on the first embarkation.

Or, can they buy wine in some port after embarkation and have it held corkage-free, but returned after the first cruise? That might be an easier sell at the gangway than trying to get doubles on the first embarkation.

Yes, IF it gets returned to them at the end of the first cruise/leg. therein lies the question. I think the ship will know they are returning and give them an in transit Pass?

Haven't done it of out of FLL just Europe. We were on a collectors but others on the roll call were on a B2B, we all got in transit cards and none of any of the wine that was held was returned on the last night of our first segment whether we were on a collectors or B2B.

Just don't want innlady to have an unpleasant surprise.

Yes, IF it gets returned to them at the end of the first cruise/leg. therein lies the question. I think the ship will know they are returning and give them an in transit Pass?

Haven't done it of out of FLL just Europe.

I'm suggesting not trying to do it at the FLL turn-around, but buying it along the way on the first cruise. No in-transit pass involved.

I think you likely would have the extra bottles returned to you at the end of your first cruise. We have read of people being able to bring a bottle each aboard on their second segment if it was b-to-b and not collectors cruise.

I don't remember ever reading someone was able to bring aboard 'doubles' at initial embarkation.

Edited by sail7seas

I have read here about people buying alcohol (even duty free onboard) on a B2B cruise and having it returned on the last night of the first leg. The crew most likely doesn't make note of which bottles are on a B2B and which are on a single leg so they return it all at the same time.

That would be ideal, as you could then pop off and pick up two more bottles for the second leg! :)

I'm suggesting not trying to do it at the FLL turn-around, but buying it along the way on the first cruise. No in-transit pass involved.

sorry JTL guess I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say is that alcohol purchased and held on our cruise (in ports) was NOT returned on the last night of the first segment. Whether you were on a Collectors or a B2B

apologies for not being clear.

We tried everything that has been suggested above. We went to the store and purchased bottles during the first leg of our cruise - hoping it would be delivered to us on the last night of our first week. IT WASN'T!

We then tried to bring on 2 bottles of wine from Key West on the second leg of our cruise - NOPE they took it from us.

We questioned this being we were now on the second week of our cruise - saying that we thought we were allowed 1 bottle per person per cruise week. They were not allowing that - it was all delivered to us on the last night of our entire 15 day cruise.

I can appreciate that different crew member's and or ship's may handle it differently. However, being you're also sailing on the Eurodam thought I'd share our experience.

We tried everything that has been suggested above. We went to the store and purchased bottles during the first leg of our cruise - hoping it would be delivered to us on the last night of our first week. IT WASN'T!

We then tried to bring on 2 bottles of wine from Key West on the second leg of our cruise - NOPE they took it from us.

We questioned this being we were now on the second week of our cruise - saying that we thought we were allowed 1 bottle per person per cruise week. They were not allowing that - it was all delivered to us on the last night of our entire 15 day cruise.

I can appreciate that different crew member's and or ship's may handle it differently. However, being you're also sailing on the Eurodam thought I'd share our experience.

Could the fact that they did not let you bring additional bottles onboard for the second week be due to Key West not being an embarkation port? I can see how HAL automatically stops any wine from ports of call as it would be too difficult to handle otherwise.

At any of these points, were you given the option of paying corkage, or was handing over the wine the only thing you could do?