Miami/Ft. Lauderdale - Flight Times on Return from Cruise

kenoqueen

We are going on the Escape out of Miami Jan. 2-9. Usually we take a late afternoon flight home but the cheapest airfares are morning flights on the return. What is the earliest you guys have been able to catch a flight after the ship docks in Miami. We have the flexibility of either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale; but Ft. Lauderdale will require catching a shuttle which we haven't done before either.

Any information you can provide would be helpful. My instinct is to not book a return flight before Noon on the day of arrival in Miami.

I'll be flying out of Fort Lauderdale after returning from the Sky, who docks in Miami. Our flight is at 12:55pm. Southwest recommends being at the airport 1 hour ahead of flight time (unlike at Midway (Chicago) where we have to be there 2 hours in advance). GoogleMaps says its no more than a 40 minute drive from POM to FLL (we're taking MJS Transportation as our shuttle, which has received good reviews both here on CC and on other travel review sites).

With those times in mind, I feel completely comfortable about our 12:55pm flight. I honestly would've have even picked an earlier flight, say 11:30 if it had been cheaper. To help things speed along, we're doing self-debarkation and only have carry-on luggage, so we won't need to check anything at the airport. It's also just my fiance and I, so it'll be easier to get things done instead of being in a large group or family.

In January we debarked in Port Canaveral, had a 40 minute drive to Orlando airport, and were sitting around for at least 2.5 hours before our noon flight (we couldn't even go sit at the gate because it was too early to even check in). I know a lot of people recommend doing at least after noon, but if there's something in the 11 o'clock hour that's much cheaper, my personal opinion is to go for it.

If nothing goes wrong with customs you can make it.

A few years ago, We got off the pearl (self carried luggage) and made it to FLL by 9am. We were on a 12:30 flight and were able to switch it to the 9:30 at the gate because they had seats left.

Last year we got off the getaway (self carried luggage again) and were at MIA by 9:15.

Its what you're willing to risk. If it freaks you out having to wait for room on another flight, book the later one. If you're willing to gamble, book the early one.

If nothing goes wrong with customs you can make it.

A few years ago, We got off the pearl (self carried luggage) and made it to FLL by 9am. We were on a 12:30 flight and were able to switch it to the 9:30 at the gate because they had seats left.

Last year we got off the getaway (self carried luggage again) and were at MIA by 9:15.

Its what you're willing to risk. If it freaks you out having to wait for room on another flight, book the later one. If you're willing to gamble, book the early one.

Thank you for the information. I see you are going on the Escape 1/16. Any chance you'll be joining us on Jan. 2nd when we sail?

Thank you for the information. I see you are going on the Escape 1/16. Any chance you'll be joining us on Jan. 2nd when we sail?

Actually we're on the one that leaves when you get back on the 9th. I can't wait! (and we have an 11:30 am flight out of MIA in case you are wondering. :D)

Honestly, I wouldn't count on it taking only 40 minutes to get from the Port of Miami to FLL. You are going on 95, so whoever knows it will tell you that you can never account for traffic, and there is always some kind.

Whatever it takes though, you shouldn't have a problem getting there before noon because they push you off the ship pretty early.

Just as an FYI, it seems that prices for Ubers in Miami are reasonable.

For the OP though, Miami airport is much closer to POM, about 15-20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
We just got off the Getaway on 10/17. We did the early walk-off at 7:30 AM and took a cab to MIA for our 10:50 AM flight to Dallas. The security line took about 45 minutes and we still had plenty of time to spare.

Thank you for the info. I think I'm just going to pay the extra and take a 12ish flight out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Edited by kenoqueen

Thank you all! Although I like gambling, I'm not much in to gambling/risks when it comes to air travel and getting home. I'm going go look at something more like a noon flight and probably out of Ft. Lauderdale since that's where Southwest flies in and out. Now it's looking for a shuttle.

The good thing about flying in/out of Miami is it's easy to get to airport from cruise terminal. Wish more airlines flew in/out of there.

Actually we're on the one that leaves when you get back on the 9th. I can't wait! (and we have an 11:30 am flight out of MIA in case you are wondering. :D)

I'll wave at you as we disembark. :-) I'm so excited to go!

Edited by kenoqueen

Thank you for the info. I think I'm just going to pay the extra and take a 12ish flight out of Ft. Lauderdale.

I think that is the wisest choice. If you do have a smooth disembarkation, you can always try to fly standby on the earlier flight but knowing you have a guaranteed seat on the later flight is excellent peace of mind.

I just came back from a short 3 day on the Sky. We had a 1:45 flight out of Miami, and purposely waited to be in the last group to disembark. If you are willing to have a quick breakfast early, and be among the first group to disembark, you could probably make a flight way before noon. However, the other thing to think about is that you will be travelling on a weekend, which could make the airport more crowded. If you have TSA Pre-check, you can make it through security at the airport much faster. For anyone who travels, I highly recommend this. It is well worth the $80 cost. Now that they are not automatically giving people TSA pre-check, there is a big difference between the pre-check, and non-pre-check lines. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to separate your 3 ounce liquids, take off your shoes and jackets, take out your laptops, and that kind of thing.

I just came back from a short 3 day on the Sky. We had a 1:45 flight out of Miami, and purposely waited to be in the last group to disembark. If you are willing to have a quick breakfast early, and be among the first group to disembark, you could probably make a flight way before noon. However, the other thing to think about is that you will be travelling on a weekend, which could make the airport more crowded. If you have TSA Pre-check, you can make it through security at the airport much faster. For anyone who travels, I highly recommend this. It is well worth the $80 cost. Now that they are not automatically giving people TSA pre-check, there is a big difference between the pre-check, and non-pre-check lines. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to separate your 3 ounce liquids, take off your shoes and jackets, take out your laptops, and that kind of thing.

Thank you for the information. We booked a 12:40 flight out of FLL and yes, we have TSA pre-check. Yes, it's well worth the $80!