Planning Alaska

barb in ga

I have finally interested DH in an Alaska cruise, provided we see Denali.

I think what may work for us is a 7 day one way, either starting or ending in Seward. We will probably rent a car and explore on our own, rather than doing a cruisetour. Our window of time would be 11-13 days sometime between the end of July to the end of August.

We live in Atlanta, so Delta may be our best bet for flying.

We are Diamond with Royal, and love the Radiance class ships, so that will probably be the line we choose.

I need some input on which direction to go--Northbound or southbound, and tips for securing best transportation options.

Thanks,

Barb

i would do the land portion first . That way you can rest up and enjoy the scenery. Don't look at RCI alone.

Before choosing , look at port times and where you want to go.

I would personally look Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay as one day of the cruise .

All cruises that start in Alaska (Seward or Whittier ) end up in Vancouver .

You might want to consider a cruise tour . Keep in mind distances between places is actually longer than you think.

Edited by Kamloops50

You are going to get the "do land first" like the above. I disagree. What I find- is those who claim it is "better" had poor mainland touring plans to begin with. Most common- not enough TIME. The descriptions include, hectic, on the go, early starts. etc. And then- "relaxing on the ship." I guess they think, if time was better managed it would still be the same? My trips are EVEN, I'm not "relaxing" on any Alaska cruise ship. I enjoy my port activities and give a priority for scenic sailing viewing.

My point is- do not underestimate time and distances with mainland touring. Adding the 6 extra days- is way to go. Enjoy Seward for a couple days, Anchorage for a day, Denali for at least 2 nights. Maybe add Whittier, Talkeetna, Ma Su? for the 6. (and still not a lot of time :) )

I don't pay to fly, so take a look at the cruise air board, some fantastic experts posting, read the top stickys very informative.

I'm Diamond + with RCI and will be sailing with them next year but I do not give them any priority with my Alaska cruise selections and haven't sailed with them for the past few years. I would suggest, instead, you find out about EACH Alaska port and determine where you have the most interest. Determine WHAT tours you are going to do, and be certain, you are in season, and have enough time. That cuts down your selection list.

Edited by Budget Queen

I am working with a friend planning an AK cruise for summer 2016. 1st time for all. The previous comments are helpful.

Just not sure where to start since so many choices.

We do want land/cruise. Thinking 10 days. We all in our 50's & still working so 10 days will be our max. Traveling from Texas we need to allow a day up & back.

Any additional suggestions are appreciated.:)

To determine southbound vs northbound I would look at flight options first. For example we live in NC and for us southbound is best because when we fly into Anchorage we arrive between 2pm and 7 pm depending upon the flight. We always fly in at least 1 day prior to cruise departure and add as many days to that as we can. We can fly out of Vancouver the day the cruise ship arrives in port, but we usually stay overnight 1 night in Vancouver to see some of the sights. If we were to reverse and go northbound we would fly into Vancouver 1 day prior to the cruise which is fine but the return flights that are within our budget don't leave until 10 or 11 pm and we would fly overnight (which we do not like). You may no mind the overnight flight or your flight options may be very different.

If you have 10 days and subtract 7 cruise days and 2 travel days then that leaves you with one day to use. I would recommend using it by renting a car and either driving from Anchorage up to the Palmer or Wasilla area or driving down to Girdwood or Seward and tour those areas. One way rentals can be done from Anc. To whittier through Avis or from Anc to Seward through Hertz. The one way rental will cost more than a round trip rental but the extra cost is worth it to me especially since you have limited time.

I am working with a friend planning an AK cruise for summer 2016. 1st time for all. The previous comments are helpful.

Just not sure where to start since so many choices.

We do want land/cruise. Thinking 10 days. We all in our 50's & still working so 10 days will be our max. Traveling from Texas we need to allow a day up & back.

Any additional suggestions are appreciated.:)

10 days is a very short amount time.

Again= first is the necessity to find out above Alaska. Absolutely vital. Both Fromeers and Fodor's Alaska have port of call books.

With only 10 days you may want to consider a round trip cruise.

Am considering June trip on Celebrity to Alaska and Canadian Rockies. Am not sure what is cruise itinerary is best for first trip to Alaska. Celebrity uses via rail vs Fresh tracks uses Mountaineer (more expensive). Any thoughts on subject? Thank you in advance.

Am considering June trip on Celebrity to Alaska and Canadian Rockies. Am not sure what is cruise itinerary is best for first trip to Alaska. Celebrity uses via rail vs Fresh tracks uses Mountaineer (more expensive). Any thoughts on subject? Thank you in advance.
Yes the rail option is premium priced.... but have you considered a bus option for savings? The bus tours also stops at small towns for more exploration. Consider flying in or out of Calgary to make the trip one-way instead of round trip Vancouver.

http://keywesttravelandtours.com/bus-tours/

If your going by train use the Rocky Mountaineer . Via rail is a scheduled train that leaves in the afternoon and travels mostly in the dark.

Here is a link to Rocky Mountaineer .

https://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_CA_BC/

If you have the time take the loop from from Vancouver returning to Vancouver . Or a one way from Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper. The Mountaineer only runs during daylight hours and you overnight in a hotel with optional things to do that evening . All meals and snacks are included in this train. I regularly saw the Rocky Mountaineer when I was working . I live in one of the cities (Kamloops) that train overnights in.

We are planning on booking an Alaskan cruise next summer (2016) but since we don't known much about Alaskan cruises, we're trying to solicit any recommendations on cruise lines, ports of call, and the best time in the summer to visit Alaska.

Since we have two teenage sons who are interested in fishing and riding ATVs, we thought we could fly to Seward two or three days prior to a 7-day cruise in order to scratch the fishing and ATVs off the "must do" list. We'd also like to visit a glacier (maybe even walk on one) and tour a fjord.

We are planning on booking an Alaskan cruise next summer (2016) but since we don't known much about Alaskan cruises, we're trying to solicit any recommendations on cruise lines, ports of call, and the best time in the summer to visit Alaska.

Since we have two teenage sons who are interested in fishing and riding ATVs, we thought we could fly to Seward two or three days prior to a 7-day cruise in order to scratch the fishing and ATVs off the "must do" list. We'd also like to visit a glacier (maybe even walk on one) and tour a fjord.

You are way ahead of your plans. I suggest you back up and first, find out about Alaska and which areas offer you your priorities. Finding out about ports, each is very different from the others, and unlike the Caribbean- all are worthwhile visiting. :) That goes a long way toward narrowing down a cruise choice list.

You list "Seward", which you have to fly into Anchorage for. I don't know of any ATV tours there, have you found a vendor? There are numerous "fjords" again each VERY different, Misty Fjiords, Tracy Arm, Kenai Fjords, plus many many more. Alaska is about numerous "glaciers" I view multiple glaciers- every trip. :) 3 days is a very short time, I suggest you go for all you can afford. Time is your best friend on mainland Alaska. Especially if you are going to see a couple areas. Glaciers are numerous, going to Alaska, it will be hard not to see them. :) for trekking, a walk in option is Matansuka- with a guide.

I hope you can see- that your comments are very broad with a LOT of possibilities. You are bound to get the "must do" based on single trips. You are going to find, a lot of gung ho comments from a lot of options. I caution you not to get drawn into the well written narratives- and not consider other options. :)