Literally just off the Magic in Galveston - got questions? Ask away!

tea4ular

Email from United Airlines (someone thought it was more than just a rain storm):

Update regarding travel to Texas and Louisiana

Because of inclement weather and flooding affecting areas of Texas and Louisiana through Sunday, we are offering additional flexibility that may allow you to change your travel plans. See united.com/importantnotices for details.

Your travel is important to us, and we'll make every effort to prevent unnecessary disruptions.

Please be sure to check flight status on the United app or at united.com/flightstatus before going to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes.

Thank you for choosing United.

There was a massive amount of rain. Many sections of the interstates were flooded. Kudos to those in Denver that can drive in snow, but you cannot FLOAT in water in your car....At least not until someone comes on here and says you can, then it is undeniable.

Large numbers of flights were cancelled that weekend, both in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin.

Question; Why do so many posters on CC think it is their job to cast doubt on many posts?

A few questions about the ports. Did you do any excursions, if so which ones. What about the water temperature in the ports? I booked the Cenote excursion, I think in Cozumel, and worried about it being too cold in the Cenote water. We don't have anything booked in Montego Bay, any suggestions on what to do there? We leave on the 15th and I can't wait.:D

We did - in Belize we booked independently through Cavetubing dot bz - Vitalino Reyes and his entire team provided an amazing excursion that included a home-cooked meal (outside, under a shaded canopy) at his home. Unlike other similar cavetubing experiences, we did not have to carry our tubes on the "hike" (mostly flat, and through a beautiful forest, took about 25 minutes to walk) - the water at the river was chillier than I'd expected, but I kept having to remind myself it WAS fresh water cascading down from mountains. It wasn't "cold" just chilly!

In Roatan we booked a snorkel trip independently with Herbert Woods the owner of Roatan Ocean Adventures dot com. Herbert is a young man (27) who is very ecologically oriented and provided an exceptional tour that included a drive around, a stop at his cousin's animal rescue sanctuary (where we got to play with monkeys and a sloth, and hang out with iguanas and macaws). Then came the snorkel trip of a lifetime. He took us out on a pontoon boat with a canopy for shade and away from where anyone else was and lowered a ladder and we walked right into the water (it was warm, right from the start, no need to "get used to" it!) - we brought our own mask and snorkel and borrowed fins from Herbert. I am not a very good swimmer (and thus get nervous in the ocean) and he provided a life vest for me (he had them available) to float on, rather than wear. We swam/snorkeled for about 3/4 of a mile or so (a good hour), and saw so many different types of beautiful fish, sea life and coral. Herbert carries an underwater camera with him and shoots photos in the water for you, emailing them to you by the time you get back home or shortly thereafter. We got ours last night and they are exceptional! No additional cost. If you decide to book with him, kindly let him know that Terry & Christine gave you the information. His rate cannot be beat, and you will be in excellent hands. We loved this port so much that we are researching renting a beach house for a week and having Herbert arrange all sorts of adventures for us. (yes really...THAT good!)

In Cozumel we booked with Carnival the Tulum and Playa del Carmen experience, and it did not disappoint. I went into the ocean there and it was warm, but the water was not blue as it had been on a previous trip due to ocean currents churning up the ocean floor. We did note that the water was blue in Playa del Carmen.

The bluest water we saw on the trip was in Roatan, and it was what we think of when we think of the Caribbean sea.

For reference, we are two best friends (over 40 years) in our late 50s and early 60s.

We are also fans of the Cloud9 Spa and will be on the Breeze in a Cloud9 cabin in 4 weeks.

This is our 4th Cloud9 cabin, once on the Dream and the 3rd on the Breeze.

I noticed in the past on the website that there is a DIY Scrub Kit included in the cabin, but we have never gotten one.

Did you have to ask, or was it just given when you received your bracelet?

The scrub is picked up at the spa desk - they had 4 to choose from - I think I asked about it -

I didn't mean to cast aspersions on anyone regarding their reaction to weather events, so please accept my apology. I realize that everyone is different and what may be just another day to some may be a major issue to others.

Even though Californians may shrug off earthquakes (and as my daughter, living in Japan and now Italy does), it would freak the heck out of me...<g>

Again, this was no "severe rain storm" this was part of Hurricane Patricia.

We were there for it and we would've called it showers. Those losing their cool over that mild rain were rediculous. The roads were not flooded. They were wet. Dont make mountains out of molehills

There was a massive amount of rain. Many sections of the interstates were flooded. Kudos to those in Denver that can drive in snow, but you cannot FLOAT in water in your car....At least not until someone comes on here and says you can, then it is undeniable.

Large numbers of flights were cancelled that weekend, both in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin.

Question; Why do so many posters on CC think it is their job to cast doubt on many posts?

Because some of us were there and it wasnt any kind of problem. From Houston to Galveston there was no flooding.

I can tell you our 12:40pm flight left from Houston on time on the 25th, because we had to run in our socks after going thru security and were the last ones to board the plane. Our driver drove thru a few flooded streets to get there, but we made it in the knick of time. I couldn't believe that there wasn't a flight delay.
This is my question on flight times. Flying out of HOU for 1st time, read a lot about allowing a lot of time to get to airport, gate, etc. b/c of trip time, Houston traffic. So I'm on a 3pm flight. Did you book independent shuttle? Any other tips? TIA.

This is my question on flight times. Flying out of HOU for 1st time, read a lot about allowing a lot of time to get to airport, gate, etc. b/c of trip time, Houston traffic. So I'm on a 3pm flight. Did you book independent shuttle? Any other tips? TIA.

The earliest flight that the Carnival shuttle would allow was 1pm, so we thought that using a private car service a 12:40pm flight would be safe. Needless to say, the "Perfect Storm" worked against us. We figured on a 10am departure from the ship, which even with the storm should have been attainable. Unfortunately, the gangway was moved and as soon as that was announced it became a free-for-all while we sat in our waiting zone, clueless to the hundreds of passengers already disembarking. We checked several times with the crew and were repeatedly told that the luggage had not been offloaded as yet....which was completely untrue. Finally at nearly 11am we left to find that the stairwells and elevators were packed. We elbowed our way thru the crowd, found our luggage and a porter, then made it thru customs right away. Unfortunately by this time, the crowds who had left before us (many with luggage tags numbered in the teens) were awaiting pick-up at the curb by their traveling companions who had already gone to fetch their cars and were blocking access for our driver. Finally, he made his way thru and we were in the limo at 11:20. The boarding counter called the gate to have them hold our seats, and we ran to catch our flight...and miraculously our luggage made it all the way home with us.

So long answer to a short question....Carnival recommends 1pm or later. It was only due to a combination of issues and lack of communication that our flight was a problem. I would think that 3pm should be more than safe except in the most extraordinary of circumstances.