Review: Carnival liberty – september 20, 2015 – southern itinerary out of san juan,

pghsteelerfan

Now that muster drill is over, we make our way back up the steps. We didn’t need anything from our cabin since we already had our S&S cards and cameras with us, so we took the stairs all the way up to Panorama Deck 10 to get ready for the sail away, scheduled for 10:00pm. We went there so we can get a decent spot along the railing so we can attempt to get pictures as we sail out of San Juan.

As we waited for sail away from San Juan, the Red Frog’s Caribbean Beach Party was getting started. I remember them playing “Blurred Lines” right at sail away on our Valor cruise but this time they were playing some dance music that I didn’t recognize, but we normally don’t listen to dance music anyway. They eventually played the “Cupid Shuffle” and probably the “Wobble” too, but that’s one I don’t recognize.

The music was cranked and Liberty was all lit up and the dance floor and Lido Deck 9 were packed. It was also crowded up on Panorama Deck 10. There were bar waiters going around with trays of drinks, so we each got another “Funship Special” to have as we sailed out. We didn’t leave right at 10:00pm, but it was shortly after that that DH noticed we were moving. I just love this part. We are on a cruise!!!

We tried getting pictures as we sailed out of San Juan, some came out while others didn’t. It was dark, but city lights are on and the wall of the fort is lit up, but we’re on a moving ship. Again, I tried different ISO settings and am pleased with some pictures. I know I could probably get better pictures if I brought a tripod along to keep the camera steady, but I just don’t want to haul a tripod around. I love getting pictures but there is a limit as to what I’m going to do and taking a tripod everywhere with me is not one of them. For the pictures I got, I had the camera strap around my neck and used Liberty’s railing to brace it. I purposely had the camera strap around my neck to prevent a sudden, unexpected slip of camera off the railing and into the water.

At this point, I'll just let the pictures do the "talking". These are as we were backing up from the pier then sailing out of San Juan.

20150920_221254-01-1.jpg

IMG_8792-01.jpg

IMG_8801-01.jpg

IMG_8807-01.jpg

IMG_8813-01.jpg

IMG_8808-01.jpg

Sail away from San Juan continued...

IMG_8862-01.jpg

IMG_8863-01.jpg

IMG_8864-01.jpg

After we sailed past Fort El Morro and out into the Atlantic, we were supposed to go to the informal Cruise Critic meet and greet for our roll call. It was finally decided to meet at the back pool area of Lido Deck 9 after we sailed past Fort El Morro and out into open water since there wasn’t much else to see at that point. Again, I wasn’t very active on the CC one but there were a couple of us who were on both roll calls (CC and “that other” one) and some of those on the “that other” roll call were going to try to make it back for the meet and greet so I thought we could too.

As we made our way to the back of Panorama Deck 10, we ended up talking to someone else and during small chat, the “where are you from” question came up. We told him and he told us he was from Kentucky. There ya go, that’s all it took. DH was now telling him the story about his MIA suitcase that ended up in Louisville, KY instead of San Juan. After chatting with him for about 15 minutes, we made our way to the very back of the ship but were still on Deck 10. The moon was out and although not full, it was shining off the water. We probably spent another 15 minutes up there trying for pictures.

IMG_8871-01.jpg

The aft (back) stairs from Liberty's Panorama Deck 10 that lead go down to Lido Deck 9

IMG_8873-01.jpg

IMG_8878-01.jpg

IMG_8879-01.jpg

After that we walked down the back stairs that would take us down to the back of the Lido Deck. We walked the whole way around but didn’t see anyone we recognized. At that time, we decided to have one more "Funship Special".

I wanted another ice cream cone, so I got one and we went over to the tables outside on the Lido Deck, which were practically empty by now, and grabbed one. Once I finished, DH, decided he wanted one too, so he went over and got one. The crowd was thinning out at this point and I wanted to try to get some pictures of the pool lit up at night, so I got a few pictures and went back to join DH at the table.

IMG_8880-01.jpg

IMG_8881-01.jpg

IMG_8882-01.jpg

IMG_8883-01.jpg

IMG_8887-01.jpg

BEAUTIFUL pictures, Holly! We will be in SJ during out Pride cruise, so will have to do some research. Did you see the cemetary? Do you know if you are allowed to walk around it? Also, I am curious, how do you know what island you are looking at? :confused::p You are always such a good navigator. IDK what I am looking at ever lol.

IMG_8889-01.jpg

While we were sitting there, Yoki, a bar waiter, came by with the flashing, plastic shot glasses filled with “Fireball “whiskey. I always get those (flashing shot glasses), so I ordered one. Yoki looked at DH and asked why I was only getting one, so I ordered two. Yoki will come into play more later as well.

IMG_8891-02.jpg

Had to get a picture from where we were of this, right across from Guy's Burger Joint:

IMG_8892-01.jpg

The Red Frog, next stop on our agenda

IMG_8893-01.jpg

We made our way over to the Red Frog, where Antonio was still working, since it was only 11:30pm (yes, I said only 11:30pm). Antonio remembered us from earlier and when he asked about DH’s suitcase, DH let him know he finally got it, how it was waiting outside the cabin door when we returned from Red Frog the last time, and that all was good now. After Antonio made our drinks, I asked if I could get a picture then showed it to him.

IMG_8894-02.jpg

He took a look at the picture and said he wasn’t done with the drinks because they needed an umbrella stuck in a piece of fruit attached to the side. Once he did that, he asked me to take the picture over, which I did. He was happy with that one, the drinks looked perfect. They just needed little umbrellas.

IMG_8895-01.jpg

These drinks were also strong. There was another couple seated next to where we were standing that got a kick out of the shot glasses and could believe we had “Fireball”. We ended up talking to them for about a half hour until they decided to call it a night. At that point, DH leaned over and quietly thanked me because he was feeling a little drunk. I told him I didn’t remember pouring anything down his throat and he told me I’m the one who bought the shot of Fireball AND he missed dinner because I had to get pictures.

I knew he needed to eat and I feel bad for that. Earlier on I told him that if he wanted dinner that I wouldn’t mind if he got back on the ship while I got pictures of Liberty all lit up at night, but he chose to come with me. Now the search for food was on. DH and I went to the back of the Lido Deck because we knew food would be served back there. There was Pizza Pirate, which was open 24 hours on the port (left) side, but the line was way too long. On the starboard (right) side, from 11:00pm – 1:00am, “Late Night Snacks” were being served and there wasn’t much of a line. We chose the “Late Night Snacks” over pizza. I remember they had chili dogs, or you could just get a hot dog. There were also toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, cookies, and probably more, but I forget what else. DH got a chili dog and I got a ham and cheese sandwich. We took those to a table and ate.

When I finished my sandwich, I got another ice cream cone and DH went back up and got some cookies. After we finished that, we decided to head back to our cabin and call it a night because we were both tired. It was between 12:00 and 12:30am. Our next day’s edition of the “Fun Times” was on the turned down bed, but there was no towel animal tonight. We found out later that no one else in our group on “that other” roll call got a towel animal either. We were wondering if the earlier delay had everything backed up. No biggie, my cruise isn’t ruined because we don’t get a towel animal.

BEAUTIFUL pictures, Holly! We will be in SJ during out Pride cruise, so will have to do some research. Did you see the cemetary? Do you know if you are allowed to walk around it? Also, I am curious, how do you know what island you are looking at? :confused::p You are always such a good navigator. IDK what I am looking at ever lol.

Thank you Karen! I took a lot. Just browsed through the sail away section and I think I have too many of the wall lit up at night. They all look different to me but I'm sure they all look the same to everyone else. Ooops. I was just happy that they turned out. LOL!!!

Yes, we did see the cemetery. I wanted to walk through it but we didn't have time since we were in a rush to get to Fort El Morro and I was hoping to get down to that walkway below it to get some pictures looking up toward the top. I'd seen some from that point in another review and loved them. Unfortunately, not this time.

The cemetery is just below Fort El Morro. If you're on the road at the top looking out over the lawn toward El Morro, the cemetery is just to the right and below it. I have a few pictures of it in my Valor review. Yes, you are allowed to walk around in it. We walked through it when we were on our Valor cruise on our way to Castillo San Cristobal (didn't go in that time, just outside for pictures of Valor). From parts of Fort El Morro, you can also look down into the cemetery.

Hope that helps. Are you doing one of Prides Journey's cruises? I know she usually goes to the Bahamas, FL and Grand Turk.

Please tell me more about the tervis tumblers! Cost?

I LOVE my tervis and always bring my water bottle along on the cruise.

:)

I'm pretty sure they were right around $14.00 each. Red Frog Rum Bar and the Blue Iguana Tequila bar each have them. You can purchase just the cup/lid at either of those bars. There may be some with just Carnival on them in the "Fun Shops", but I didn't look.

Attaching a picture of the ones I got on Liberty last year. They were exactly the same this year. I love them.

IMG_7312.jpg

Great pictures! I like to do the same while flying, looking out the window and figure out what is what! Just trying to be helpful, and living in the Charlotte area, it was a good guess as there is Lake Norman in the Charlotte area this picture happens to be of Lake Wylie (LKN feeds into this lake then eventually joins others to form Lake Marion and Moultrie) being so close to the airport. For me the give away is the steam plant in the distance and the Buster Boyd Bridge connecting NC/SC. Once again your pictures are amazing! This review is great even though your a steeler fan!:rolleyes: Lol.:cool:

Thank you Karen! I took a lot. Just browsed through the sail away section and I think I have too many of the wall lit up at night. They all look different to me but I'm sure they all look the same to everyone else. Ooops. I was just happy that they turned out. LOL!!!

Yes, we did see the cemetery. I wanted to walk through it but we didn't have time since we were in a rush to get to Fort El Morro and I was hoping to get down to that walkway below it to get some pictures looking up toward the top. I'd seen some from that point in another review and loved them. Unfortunately, not this time.

The cemetery is just below Fort El Morro. If you're on the road at the top looking out over the lawn toward El Morro, the cemetery is just to the right and below it. I have a few pictures of it in my Valor review. Yes, you are allowed to walk around in it. We walked through it when we were on our Valor cruise on our way to Castillo San Cristobal (didn't go in that time, just outside for pictures of Valor). From parts of Fort El Morro, you can also look down into the cemetery.

Hope that helps. Are you doing one of Prides Journey's cruises? I know she usually goes to the Bahamas, FL and Grand Turk.

Holly, I apologize again. I submitted my reply right after your pictures walking back to the ship and all of a sudden there were 2 more pages of your post! :eek: We are criss crossing lol. :eek: ALL the pictures are amazing and most people have never been to SJ at night, so that is an awesome sight to see! We have been to SJ a bunch of times and sad to say have never been to the forts. Did walk around OSJ a bit, but that's all, so I am definitely going to explore this time. I LOVE cemetaries and would love to go to the one in SJ but I wasn't sure if it was open to the public. We ARE on a Journeys cruise. We ALWAYS go to Bahamas, GT, HMC. Can't remember when we went to a different port, so this is going to be AMAZING! I am absolutely SUPER EXCITED! Thanks again for sharing this...can't wait to read of your next adventures and glad your DH got his suitcase. Oh, that is NOT a fun way to start a vacation!!!! :(

Great pictures! I like to do the same while flying, looking out the window and figure out what is what! Just trying to be helpful, and living in the Charlotte area, it was a good guess as there is Lake Norman in the Charlotte area this picture happens to be of Lake Wylie (LKN feeds into this lake then eventually joins others to form Lake Marion and Moultrie) being so close to the airport. For me the give away is the steam plant in the distance and the Buster Boyd Bridge connecting NC/SC. Once again your pictures are amazing! This review is great even though your a steeler fan!:rolleyes: Lol.:cool:

Thank you for letting me know that is Lake Wylie. I'll have to look that one up. I just thought it was Lake Norman because we'd passed it on the way to Hilton Head twice when traveling from PA and I knew it was large. We normally go to HH from here in VA, not too far from I-95. I knew Lake Marion was Lake Marion because we've crossed that bridge so many times. I didn't realize that Lake Marion was "fed" by LKN & LKW. I will also have to look up the Buster Boyd Bridge connecting NC/SC. Actually, that's pretty cool that I got that in one of my pictures. Again, thank you for the information. I'm glad you're enjoying the review. I am a Steeler fan, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of the current teams. The morals just aren't there anymore. Hopefully some changes can be made and they can have a team to be proud of again, whether they win or lose.

Holly, I apologize again. I submitted my reply right after your pictures walking back to the ship and all of a sudden there were 2 more pages of your post! :eek: We are criss crossing lol. :eek: ALL the pictures are amazing and most people have never been to SJ at night, so that is an awesome sight to see! We have been to SJ a bunch of times and sad to say have never been to the forts. Did walk around OSJ a bit, but that's all, so I am definitely going to explore this time. I LOVE cemetaries and would love to go to the one in SJ but I wasn't sure if it was open to the public. We ARE on a Journeys cruise. We ALWAYS go to Bahamas, GT, HMC. Can't remember when we went to a different port, so this is going to be AMAZING! I am absolutely SUPER EXCITED! Thanks again for sharing this...can't wait to read of your next adventures and glad your DH got his suitcase. Oh, that is NOT a fun way to start a vacation!!!! :(

Karen, please, no need to apologize. We were criss crossing. :D I hope you get a chance to see the forts this time and if you plan to see both, cut through the cemetery on the way from one to the other. But yes, it is open to the public.

You are so lucky to be going on a Journeys cruise, but I'm so happy for you and the others who can do it. I was looking at the Sunshine Journey cruise (I think 12/9 - 12/19 out of San Juan). I love the itinerary. There is just no way that my DH can get that many work days off in a row. I'm hoping to get the next day up tomorrow. I'm busy in the morning, so hope to get started on it in the afternoon sometime.

And yes, we are so happy DH got his suitcase back, and so did all the others. What a pain and not a good way to start vacation. Thank you again.

You know it's pretty funny that you took this picture:

100_0726-1.jpg

...since there's a good possibility that at some point I've would've seen you guys walking around since my office is on the right side of that row of dark glass windows in the foreground...LOL. Proof?? Here's MY point of view of the Courtyard pool:

20150827_144657_zps5kwko3uf.jpg

I wish I'd know you guys were staying there as I've would've loved to say hello. But on the other hand I am so darn glad you enjoyed your stay. That way I can share good news rather than bad with the hotel manager. Take care. Oh, and thanks for the shout out and reference to my Liberty review which, BTW you people can easily find linked below on my signature!! (I know...shameless plug... LOL:D) :D:D

LOL!!! You are totally cracking me up. Yes, Kendra went easy on him and I thought that was probably why, but I won't. :D I don't have close-up pictures of him. But yes, if you want to send the pictures that would be great. I have one with you in it, right after you talked to the assistant cruise director right before that fuzzy upper torso event. But I'll get in touch through a certain "social networking" site for that, pm, of course.

I'm really enjoying Kendra's review too - you guys got some great pictures.

I always thought that was still Isla Verde and thought that park was part of Isla Verde Beach. I didn't go any further than the park, so I never got to that building. I'll attach a picture I got of the building (with the zoom) from Isla Verde to see if that's the same building. That's as long as the walk to a place we always go to when at Hilton Head. It took about a half hour to get down there and a half hour back. I can't wait to see the pictures you got of that area. Would love to have seen those waves. May have some from the plane on the return trip. Got pictures of the Courtyard, but it was a good distance away since we were way out there after making that turn after takeoff.

100_0689-1.jpg

Actually, that part is STILL Isla Verde (and the Municipality of Carolina where Isla Verde sits. The "city/municipality limits" that divide Carolina/ Isla Verde from Loiza is on the bridge just after you pass that structure an where the kioskos begin.

Actually, that part is STILL Isla Verde (and the Municipality of Carolina where Isla Verde sits. The "city/municipality limits" that divide Carolina/ Isla Verde from Loiza is on the bridge just after you pass that structure an where the kioskos begin.

Stinger-pr! I didn't know you worked at the Courtyard! I was very curious about the painting... We stayed there after the cruise and the building was slowing turning white. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that it was just a primer layer and they are then going to put the orange back on! It is so neat to see it stand out from all the other white hotels... I sure hope it stays Orange (or rust, or whatever color that is).

You know it's pretty funny that you took this picture:

100_0726-1.jpg

...since there's a good possibility that at some point I've would've seen you guys walking around since my office is on the right side of that row of dark glass windows in the foreground...LOL. Proof?? Here's MY point of view of the Courtyard pool:

20150827_144657_zps5kwko3uf.jpg

I wish I'd know you guys were staying there as I've would've loved to say hello. But on the other hand I am so darn glad you enjoyed your stay. That way I can share good news rather than bad with the hotel manager. Take care. Oh, and thanks for the shout out and reference to my Liberty review which, BTW you people can easily find linked below on my signature!! (I know...shameless plug... LOL:D) :D:D

You work at the Courtyard and were there at work that day?!?! I wish I would have known, I'd loved to have met up with you or at least gotten a chance to say "hello". Wow. Next time for sure. There will be a next time, just don't know when yet.

Yes, we really enjoyed our stay. I think it was Giovanna (don't know if that's how she spells it), or at least we were told it was Giovanna, who was working the front desk when we arrived that day. She went out of her way. Well, everyone else we encountered did, great staff. We love the Courtyard and when our cruise was in "limbo" (engine fire), we booked, just in case, for that week.

I don't mind you mentioning your link to your reviews. I was actually going to attach all the links, but I was just trying to get the review started so I can get it finished before Fascination takes over the southern itinerary.