Review: Carnival liberty – september 20, 2015 – southern itinerary out of san juan,

pghsteelerfan

I am officially caught up! I very much am enjoying all the pictures. You can never take too many pictures of paradise! I love your writing style and sense of humor :). Reading along is making me relive the great times we had on Valor in April 2014 and has inspired me to get out my memorabilia from my Carnival Liberty cruise from 2007. She sure is a beauty of a ship. I am also taking notes for my upcoming RC Adventure of the Seas March 2016 cruise. We will be sailing out of San Juan visiting St Thomas and St Lucia for the duplicate islands and additionally St Croix, Antigua, and Grenada. There is no place more beautiful than the Southern Caribbean!

Thanks for taking the time to write your review!

Thank you and thank you for following. I agree about never taking too many pictures of paradise. Even though this was the same itinerary as Valor, it did seem like a whole different cruise since we did different things than last, with a couple of repeat places. I would love to get St. Croix, Antigua, and Grenada someday, as well as some of the other islands (Dominica, Martinique, Tortola, etc., etc). I'm definitely with you on the beauty of the Southern Caribbean. :)

We were also on Valor in May 2013, on this same itinerary. We decided to go to Sapphire Beach that time as well. Between May 2013 and now, there has obviously been some erosion to Sapphire Beach since we were there in May 2013. Over to the right section of beach, there has always been rocks and coral way down on the end, but this time the beach where the loungers were under the trees in that area in front of the buildings had a lot of exposed rocks. We were down to the left of the buildings, under the trees there. It has been all sand and that part of beach still is mostly sand. The difference here though, was when we got into the water. In 2013 it was smooth sand but now it's rocks until you get out between waist and shoulder depth.

Sapphire Beach in 2013

100_6336.jpg

100_1707.jpg

In the above pictures, notice the tree shaded area of the beach in the distance. That was all sand then. The pictures below show those same trees, and there still is some sand, but there are also a lot of rocks.

Sapphire Beach in 2015

IMG_9080_1.jpg

IMG_9106.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

We still loved and enjoyed Sapphire Beach, but if any of you reading are possibly interested in coming here, this is what to expect. I would return as I love the beauty of it and the views it offers.

Holly, I am again telling you you took the most AMAZING pictures! Starting with the sun rise and right up to Paradise Point. Just wonderful. I so love seeing the shadows of the clouds on the mountains and you captured that so well. A question about Paradise Point: do the cars "sway?" I have always wanted to go up, but am little nervous about it. :o:o

IMG_9083.jpg

I got a few pictures of the beach then got the snorkel gear and my underwater camera and spent about an hour snorkeling. I can’t say the snorkeling is bad there but it’s not the best either. There is an area that is mainly grassy and turtles have been spotted there, but I’ve never seen any. The coral area is over to the right. That is where you’ll see a variety of fish and corals. The pictures here aren't the best I can get with this camera. I had forgotten to set it to the "Underwater" setting.

IMG_1596-1.jpg

IMG_1597-1.jpg

IMG_1598-1.jpg

IMG_1603-1.jpg

IMG_1605-1.jpg

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Holly, I am again telling you you took the most AMAZING pictures! Starting with the sun rise and right up to Paradise Point. Just wonderful. I so love seeing the shadows of the clouds on the mountains and you captured that so well. A question about Paradise Point: do the cars "sway?" I have always wanted to go up, but am little nervous about it. :o:o

Hi Karen! Thank you again. Oh, we ended up with one of the best days possible. And the shadows of the clouds? That's one of the reasons I took so many up there. I didn't even post half of what I have. LOL!!!

The Paradise Point Sky Ride cars. The day we were there, there was not much. I didn't even notice. You do feel kind of a "bump" after each pole, but that's where the pulleys are and that's why. I don't know if there would be swaying if it was windy or not. You can actually take a cab up there if you don't want to deal with the actual Sky Ride. But I'd say it's definitely worth doing at least once in St. Thomas.

I'm going to wrap this up for this evening and will be back with more tomorrow.

Next up: Sapphire Beach continued. You may have noticed the point, or small peninsula, that goes out into the water on the far end of the beach in some of the previous pictures. I took a walk down the beach and out to the point.

So, in the meantime....

scan0006.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

We still loved and enjoyed Sapphire Beach, but if any of you reading are possibly interested in coming here, this is what to expect. I would return as I love the beauty of it and the views it offers.

I have to admit that this erosion thing was in part the reason of my partial disappointment when I arrived at Sapphire. Yes, it is breathtaking, but I don't just go to the beach for the views. I had read reviews of the place and "sandy beach" was used numerous times. To arrive at a beach where I had to use my water shoes to get in was not really fun. Granted, we didn't walk too far from the "Surf Shop" near the trees in the picture and the entrance to the beach just about where the loungers above are and while it was a tranquil, clean (if you don't count the mounds of Sargasso they were trying to get of the sand) and beautiful beach, the overall experience was a notch below what I was expecting.It also didn't help that when we went the water was choppy as heck!!

This is an absolutely awesome review!! We are taking this cruise in February and I can't wait.

Thank you very much for following along and glad to know you're enjoying the review. I'd love to be taking this cruise again in February. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Holly, Holly, Holly....

I'm speechless...

Your pictures are Amazing!

It makes me happy to relive this cruise through your review.

Sending Love & ((Hugs))

Laura!

Hey!!! So glad you're enjoying the pictures. That one you got at Trunk Bay left me speechless, that was gorgeous!!! We definitely have to get over to St. John next time we're in St. Thomas.

So glad you're getting to relive the cruise, we had a great time! I'm enjoying reliving it too.

Sending Love & ((Hugs)) to you too!

I have to admit that this erosion thing was in part the reason of my partial disappointment when I arrived at Sapphire. Yes, it is breathtaking, but I don't just go to the beach for the views. I had read reviews of the place and "sandy beach" was used numerous times. To arrive at a beach where I had to use my water shoes to get in was not really fun. Granted, we didn't walk too far from the "Surf Shop" near the trees in the picture and the entrance to the beach just about where the loungers above are and while it was a tranquil, clean (if you don't count the mounds of Sargasso they were trying to get of the sand) and beautiful beach, the overall experience was a notch below what I was expecting.It also didn't help that when we went the water was choppy as heck!!

To be honest with you, I couldn't believe it was the same beach we were at in 2013 once we got down there. And getting into the water...I sure wish I had my water shoes that day, but didn't. I will swear on it, when we were there in 2013, it was a sandy beach. I did walk over to the right (if you're facing the water) and there were rocks way down on that end but I'm guessing that was coral and not rocks since there were signs asking people to stay off the coral. It was definitely much different this time. Someone posted about and recommended Secret Harbor on the Valor review I did. I was thinking of going there as we like to see different places, but I didn't know if it was popular enough that there would be cabs outside waiting. The water was a little choppier this time, compared to 2013. It was calm that day. I'd return, but next time we get to St. Thomas, it's St. John for us.

After I was done snorkeling, DH took a turn and I watched our belongings. When DH returned, I got up to get a few pictures of the condo areas behind the beach and more of the beach.

The condos behind Sapphire Beach

100_0844-1.jpg

100_0837-1.jpg

The sargassum seaweed we've all been hearing about lately. There was some on Sapphire Beach, but not as bad as it could have been.

100_0838-1.jpg

See the darker area in the water closest to shore? That was mostly rocks. Not like that in 2013. Water shoes recommended.

100_0839-2-1.jpg

This is all smaller rocks mixed in with sand here, again, not like that in 2013

100_0840-1.jpg

100_0841-1-01-1.jpg

Sapphire Beach continued...

100_0846-1.jpg

IMG_9087.jpg

I'm guessing these are "Sea Grapes"...can anyone confirm?

IMG_9090.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9094.jpg

DH had gone to get a coke for himself and water for me, but I forget how much he paid for each. He wasn't too happy here because I wanted a picture but the sand was hot. Sorry hon.

IMG_9103.jpg

When I got back one of the resident iguanas was making the rounds. I think they look for handouts but we didn’t have anything to give him and I don’t know if you’re allowed to feed them or not.

IMG_9105.jpg

After a while I decided to walk around some, with my camera for pictures, and check the area out. I walked over to the right, where the land goes out in the water at a point. The whole area is just beautiful.

IMG_9106.jpg

IMG_9107.jpg

Another iguana down here

IMG_9108.jpg

I guess he's enjoying that view

IMG_9109.jpg

IMG_9110.jpg

IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

The larger island way in the distance toward the right of the picture, and behind the others, is Jost Van Dyke (pronounced Yost Van Dyke, I hadn't known that before today)

IMG_9121.jpg

St. John...gotta get back here next time

IMG_9122.jpg

I walked over by the resort pool but didn't even try to enter because I'm not a resort guest and didn't want to get in any trouble taking pictures. There was also a security guard there, which is always a great deterrent. He was very friendly and pointed out the different islands visible (Jost Van Dyke, Tortolla, and of course, St. John & Cruz Bay)

The resort pool

IMG_9123.jpg

IMG_9125.jpg

Edited by pghsteelerfan

On the way back, something caught my eye. Another iguana in a bush and all I could see was his head. I was able to get a couple pictures before he went back into the bush. I saw another one in a nearby tree, but he ended up moving to a spot behind some branches and I wasn’t able to get a picture.

IMG_9124.jpg

IMG_9124-1.jpg

IMG_9126.jpg

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9129.jpg

Forgot to point out earlier...that larger island way in the distance, behind the others, is Tortola. Would love to get there one of these days.

IMG_9130.jpg

IMG_9131.jpg

When I got back to the lounger, DH said to me “look who’s back”…the iguana. Actually two. One was smaller and seemed a little skittish. The larger one was probably mooching for food. He posed for more pictures then moved on to the what we think were the sea grapes (???) that had fallen from the tree. We just left them eat. They eventually made their way down to the next loungers.

IMG_9135.jpg

IMG_9134.jpg

IMG_9136.jpg

IMG_9137.jpg

IMG_9138.jpg

We hung out in the loungers and at about 1:45pm, we got our belongings and went out to wait for our taxi. I stopped for a few more pictures of the beach before continuing out to the parking lot.

IMG_9140.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

IMG_9141.jpg

My final thoughts on Sapphire Beach after this visit. Would I recommend it? Yes and no, it depends on what you're looking for in a beach. As I mentioned, the last time we were there, in May 2013, it was a wider, sandy beach.

If looking out at the water, on the far right side has always been rocky but, as I mentioned, I think that's coral. Right in front of the buildings were most of people set loungers, the beach was wider the last time. Some of those boulders were exposed then, but surrounded by sand. The beach is no longer as wide as it was since the sand has been eaten away, exposing rocks. The pictures above, from September 2015, clearly show that.

Down were we had our loungers (to the left if facing the water) it had also changed some, minimally, in appearance. In 2013, the beach seemed to be the same in width as it is currently but maybe not, hard to tell. The sand was softer and didn't appear to have as much debris in it. When entering the water in the area in front of our loungers, it was sand and easy on the feet. This time, it is rough sand mixed with smaller rocks right were the water comes in then once you proceed out from shin deep to depth between waist and shoulders, it's very rocky and larger rocks.

The scenery of the surrounding islands is the same, still beautiful. The color of the water is still beautiful. The main attractions here are the beauty in scenery, it's generally quieter (there will be others, but never seemed crowded or noisy), and the snorkeling. After having snorkeled other places now, I'd say it was OK but not great. Cost of the loungers is comparable to other places. There is snorkel gear for rent, but we had our own, so I don't know what they charge. There is food/beverages here, including adult beverages, again, don't know the cost.

If you're looking for a beach that is wider that is a swimming beach with a smooth, sand bottom, this beach is not for you. At least not at this time.

If you're looking for a beach where you just want to take in some scenery in a lounger, and go into the water occasionally to cool off, then I could recommend it, but have water shoes.

The snorkeling. To be very honest, I don't know. The only times I have snorkeled has been on cruises since that seems to be the only time we've seen water clear enough to snorkel in. Again, facing the water, straight ahead in the grassy areas, you can see some fish but not many. Turtles have been seen here, but I didn't see any on either visit. Over to the right is the coral area where there are more fish and corals. Although there is some color to the coral, there's not much. I guess it's OK, I've seen better though. The best recommendations would be from someone who has done more snorkeling. But here, yes, you will see fish.

Attaching a screen shot from Google Maps (thank you Google Maps) of Sapphire Beach in case anyone may be interested in a few details.

SapphireBeach.jpg