Falmouth Jamaica

cruz chic

We were prepared to skip getting off the ship at Falmouth based upon the negative reviews I had read about aggressive vendors - something I really don't like. However, I'm glad that we changed our minds because we really enjoyed the excursion we went on. I would go with a guided tour because they do mostly keep the vendors at bay. The tour we took was a guided combination of DUNNS RIVER FALLS, MYSTIC MOUNTAIN SKY EXPLORER AND BOBSLED ADVENTURE TOUR. The Mystic Mountain was a relaxing ski-lift ride through the rain forest up to the top of the mountain where there was a hummingbird garden, some crafts stores and then you take a bobsled ride down to the bottom. You can go as fast or as slow as you want with the bobsled, it's self controlled. Then they bus you to Dunn's River Falls. The Falls climb was fun and it is an experience you won't forget BUT it is NOT for the faint of heart, anyone with balance issues or the elderly. It is slippery, at times you will be waist deep in running water, you have to be able to climb boulders with water running over them and you can't see through the water so you will bark your shins on the rocks. It is not a short climb. Several people in our group fell and some bailed out partway (there is a spot where you can opt out about 3/4 of the way up). I felt the tour didn't adequately warn how difficult the climb was. After the climb you will be drenched, so wear a bathing suit and good water shoes. After the climb you do have to walk a gauntlet of vendors to get back to the buses. There was a shopping "mall" close to the port but it is meager and doesn't rival shopping at the other ports. Overall, I did enjoy the stop at Falmouth and the tour we took. There wasn't much to see right there at the port (no beach), so I would recommend some sort of guided tour.

Your description of Dunn River Falls is quite accurate. We did this excursion through HAL several years so I see nothing has changed. They certainly do not warn you as to how difficult this climb can be. I was quite limber and much younger than I am now and I fell and tore the tendons in my foot. I was in a wheelchair for the rest of our cruise. Thankfully, HAL keeps extra wheelchairs for cases like me. I advise anyone thinking of doing this excursion to be very careful. Those rocks are very slippery.

Your description of Dunn River Falls is quite accurate. We did this excursion through HAL several years so I see nothing has changed. They certainly do not warn you as to how difficult this climb can be. I was quite limber and much younger than I am now and I fell and tore the tendons in my foot. I was in a wheelchair for the rest of our cruise. Thankfully, HAL keeps extra wheelchairs for cases like me. I advise anyone thinking of doing this excursion to be very careful. Those rocks are very slippery.

I don't know. I've been to Dunn river falls because I wanted to see it. Just looking at it looked dangerous. You couldn't pay me to do it. Im 54 and I exercise a lot so it's not like I'm 80 or anything.

I believe this port will be on our Dec cruise. Hope so as we are getting tired of Montego and Ocho Rio's. Always ike checking out a new port and you write-up was helpful. Have to tell the DW that tatoos might be in order :). Thanks

Lucky for you, you still have time for those tattoos ;).

Edited by cruz chic

I guess the danger/activity level of the Dunns River Falls climb is subjective. I wanted to do the climb and was almost scared off by some of the reviews. However, I am so glad my husband and I did it. We are 60 and his only exercise consists of weekly golf and a morning neighborhood walk. Mine is closer to walking in the mall to shop (not aggressive mall walking!). Water shoes are a good idea and just holding hands with the people in front of and behind you seemed to be fine. Loved it.

I guess the danger/activity level of the Dunns River Falls climb is subjective. I wanted to do the climb and was almost scared off by some of the reviews. However, I am so glad my husband and I did it. We are 60 and his only exercise consists of weekly golf and a morning neighborhood walk. Mine is closer to walking in the mall to shop (not aggressive mall walking!). Water shoes are a good idea and just holding hands with the people in front of and behind you seemed to be fine. Loved it.

The holding hands with strangers is not appealing to me. I have to hand it to you on doing these falls. I think it's good to know what you are getting yourself in for. Everyone has to decide their risk level.