Falmouth Jamaica

cruz chic

Just thought I'd write a little info about this port since it's sort of new for Hal. There is a lot of shopping at this port. Lots of jewelry stores, tshirt shops and margaritaville. It's a cruise line build port. It's not going to be a cultural experience. In my mind it's much nicer than docking at the other ports in Jamaica.

Edited by cruz chic

I've been to Falmouth with DCL. The port was originally built by RCCL for support of their large ships. It has been extended to other cruise lines by the government. Unfortunately, most of the "tourist" stuff in Jamaica is in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, which is about an hour from Falmouth.

I've been to Falmouth with DCL. The port was originally built by RCCL for support of their large ships. It has been extended to other cruise lines by the government. Unfortunately, most of the "tourist" stuff in Jamaica is in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, which is about an hour from Falmouth.

I've read quite a bit about Falmouth since we'll be stopping there this month on the Allure. Most of the Royal people aren't too thrilled with it since it is so far from most of the attractions in Jamaica. Others have said that one travels at their own risk should one decide to walk outside the area that the cruise line built. Apparently, there is a fence that encloses the shops that the cruise line built. I will be curious to see how this port differs from Ocho Rios when we stopped there with HAL a few years ago.

Does it have the large pool area like at Grand Turk? I'm assuming yes seeing there is Margaritaville? I always enjoy our stops at Grand Turk just for what it is.... a day at the pool/beach. :) It's so easy seeing the ship docks right at the tourist area.

I've read quite a bit about Falmouth since we'll be stopping there this month on the Allure. Most of the Royal people aren't too thrilled with it since it is so far from most of the attractions in Jamaica. Others have said that one travels at their own risk should one decide to walk outside the area that the cruise line built. Apparently, there is a fence that encloses the shops that the cruise line built. I will be curious to see how this port differs from Ocho Rios when we stopped there with HAL a few years ago.

I prefer Falmouth. I've done a number of tours in Jamaica so I've seen everything I'm interesting in seeing.

Does it have the large pool area like at Grand Turk? I'm assuming yes seeing there is Margaritaville? I always enjoy our stops at Grand Turk just for what it is.... a day at the pool/beach. :) It's so easy seeing the ship docks right at the tourist area.

It's hard to say. There appeared to be a pool but it was overrun by bikers that were on a RC cruise. It was some kind of function there and I felt pretty out of place being the only one without tattoos :D.. It's not as nice as the pool in grand Turk from what I was able to see.

Edited by cruz chic

Just thought I'd write a little info about this port since it's sort of new for Hal. There is a lot of shopping at this port. Lots of jewelry stores, tshirt shops and margaritaville. It's a cruise line build port. It's not going to be a cultural experience. In my mind it's much nicer than docking at the other ports in Jamaica.

This will be one of the stops on our Thanksgiving cruise with HAL leaving 11/22. I couldn't find very much information on this port and greatly appreciate that you took the time to comment. It's always so helpful!

Helen

This will be one of the stops on our Thanksgiving cruise with HAL leaving 11/22. I couldn't find very much information on this port and greatly appreciate that you took the time to comment. It's always so helpful!

Helen

No problem. I was curious about this port before I visited. My friend is in a scooter and asked me about accessing stores. Most were pretty flat to the ground if that helps anyone.

Any feedback on any of the HAL shore excursions? I'm afraid this stop seems like a waste of time if one is not a shopper. We've been to Ocho Rios a few times with HAL and wouldn't bother to get off the ship again there. The pressure from vendors is the worst we have experienced in the Caribbean.

Any feedback on any of the HAL shore excursions? I'm afraid this stop seems like a waste of time if one is not a shopper. We've been to Ocho Rios a few times with HAL and wouldn't bother to get off the ship again there. The pressure from vendors is the worst we have experienced in the Caribbean.

The shorex seemed like the usual Jamaica shorex Dunn river falls etc.

We were prepared to skip getting off the ship at Falmouth based upon the negative reviews I had read about aggressive vendors - something I really don't like. However, I'm glad that we changed our minds because we really enjoyed the excursion we went on. I would go with a guided tour because they do mostly keep the vendors at bay. The tour we took was a guided combination of DUNNS RIVER FALLS, MYSTIC MOUNTAIN SKY EXPLORER AND BOBSLED ADVENTURE TOUR. The Mystic Mountain was a relaxing ski-lift ride through the rain forest up to the top of the mountain where there was a hummingbird garden, some crafts stores and then you take a bobsled ride down to the bottom. You can go as fast or as slow as you want with the bobsled, it's self controlled. Then they bus you to Dunn's River Falls. The Falls climb was fun and it is an experience you won't forget BUT it is NOT for the faint of heart, anyone with balance issues or the elderly. It is slippery, at times you will be waist deep in running water, you have to be able to climb boulders with water running over them and you can't see through the water so you will bark your shins on the rocks. It is not a short climb. Several people in our group fell and some bailed out partway (there is a spot where you can opt out about 3/4 of the way up). I felt the tour didn't adequately warn how difficult the climb was. After the climb you will be drenched, so wear a bathing suit and good water shoes. After the climb you do have to walk a gauntlet of vendors to get back to the buses. There was a shopping "mall" close to the port but it is meager and doesn't rival shopping at the other ports. Overall, I did enjoy the stop at Falmouth and the tour we took. There wasn't much to see right there at the port (no beach), so I would recommend some sort of guided tour.

We have been to Falmouth twice. There is docking for two ships, and right off the ship there is a Small shopping area with mostly jewelry and souvenir shops (bigger area than Grand Turk). The area is surrounded by a fence, and while you can walk out of the port area into the town, I don't think many of the cruisers did this. We definitely would not. Falmouth is closer to Montego Bay, so to get to Dunns River Falls which is in the area of Ocho Rios, it is a 45 minute to one hour drive.

There is unfortunately no beach, you need to take a tour or taxi to get to a beach. We did a private tour to an all inclusive resort on our last visit and it was a very nice day.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We took the Good Hope plantation house tour with tea. Very interesting, short coach ride, scenic views up at the house. Well maintained, nice people. We had a good time. Swallow tail hummingbirds were interesting.

As others have mentioned, outside the tourist port area is not something we wanted to explore on our own.

There were no street vendors. Apparently they aren't allowed inside the gate. There are the normal shops and a nice native craft bazaar. The Nathan's hotdog was $5.50 plus tax, and it hit the spot.

I have been there on the allure of the seas. We found it perfectly safe. We and thousands of others wandered everywhere with zero problems. The people of Falmouth understand what the cruise industry has done for their small town and harassing of a tourist is not permitted. I walked all the way to the edge of town to the old Jewish cemetery. Just lots of hellos. Get out there and enjoy.