Even if you love Princess, help them with ideas to improve

spongerob

[quote name='bdjam'][font=Comic Sans MS]Why do you feel the prices are not reasonable? [/font][/QUOTE]

Because in many cases you can book the same exact excursions with the same exact tour operators for 1/2 the price of what Princess charges. I don't mind that Princess takes a kickback for the convenience of booking with them, but that is a HUGE kickback.

[quote name='bdjam'][font=Comic Sans MS]As I said in my first post – I’d really like to see Princess differentiate itself from the rest of the main-stream mass market lines by concentrating on the finer details of cruising without the gimmicks. We already have RCI (RCCL no longer exists) that provides all of these things. Why make Princess the same as RCI?[/font][/QUOTE]

What's wrong with wanting to combine what is best about Princess with what is best about RCI (or Celebrity, Carnival, etc.) to make a new, better cruiseship? I know everybody's opinion about what is best is different, but for me, it would be all the "gimmicks" of RCI combined with everything else that I love about Princess (Anytime Dining, 24 hour buffet, 24 hour freshwater pools).

First off, I am happy with Princess. As has been mentioned here before, [b]if[/b] Princess is going to have rules, such as a dress code in the dining room, enforce them or dont have them. It's a bit tacky to see jeans ([i]there's that word again[/i]) and a t-shirt in the main dining room on Dress Casual nights, and shirts without a tie (or jacket) on formal nights, both of which were apparent on our 9-17 CB cruise.

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Fabulous thread – wish I had been here when you started it, [b][i]Spongerob[/i][/b]. DH and I were away for four days, and I’ve just now caught up on emails and message boards.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Practically everything that I might have considered mentioning is already posted, but I would like to point out just a few things from my own perspective.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/font]

[list]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3]I would definitely like to see the [i]Rubbermaid[/i] balcony furniture tossed overboard, but it’s nice to know that we can request cushioned wooden chairs upon embarkation.[/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3]I think luxury bedding is an absolute “must” for [i]Princess Cruises. [/i]Surely, you recall the childhood tale about the princess and the pea![/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3]While DH and I look forward to our [i]Princess[/i] food favorites, I would appreciate some variety – at the very least, a nightly “special” like in most fine restaurants. I visit the buffet so infrequently that I can’t offer comment, but I would like to see my breakfast favorite [i]Eggs Benedict[/i] and [i]Eggs Florentine[/i] offered daily in the dining room. [/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3]One of the reasons that DH and I enjoy [i]Princess[/i] is the “anytime” dining option. I think, mostly, we prefer a table for two, and that is why we opt out of “traditional” dining. After a year of reading this message board, I’m aware that many passengers who want “traditional” don’t always get it, and I think Princess would do well to re-evaluate “personal choice dining.” It would seem that those who prefer traditional seating are entitled to it, and adjustments should be made to accommodate everyone’s dining preference.[/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3]DH and I are never starving for entertainment, so the shows on cruise ships are not a priority for us. That said, I wouldn’t mind seeing some “real” headliners onboard. [/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3]I can do without the “gimmicks” – MUTS, rock-climbing walls, ice-rinks, shopping malls, and other similar “amenities.” Ditto, “garage sales” in the atrium.[/size][/font]
[/list][font=Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Hopefully, Princess will take at least some of these suggestions into consideration, and we’ll enjoy our onboard experience even more in the future.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Bon Voyage![/size][/font]

[i][font='Times New Roman']Chris[/font][/i]

[quote name='luv2cruise99']What's wrong with wanting to combine what is best about Princess with what is best about RCI (or Celebrity, Carnival, etc.) to make a new, better cruiseship? [/QUOTE]

I think that is part of the problem Princess is facing now. The newest ships are trying too hard to please everybody, which is impossible given the wide range of expectations out there. Maybe it's a lesson in the old saying that if you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.

Princess' strength was their ability to provide a solid, consistent product fleetwide that combined elements of other cruise lines into a unique product. I'm not sure that was how it was designed, but that is often how Princess is described in travel guides. You can't have 5-star, casually elegant, the Fun Ship, Old Sailors' Home, and Gen-X short attention span all under one roof and expect to have a product that is distinguishable from the rest. Unless it fails to execute, that is, then it will be notable for its shortcomings.

[quote name='luv2cruise99']Because in many cases you can book the same exact excursions with the same exact tour operators for 1/2 the price of what Princess charges. I don't mind that Princess takes a kickback for the convenience of booking with them, but that is a HUGE kickback.[/QUOTE] [font=Comic Sans MS]Can you give some examples of the exact same tours and operators and half the price as what is sold on the ship?[QUOTE][font=Verdana]What's wrong with wanting to combine what is best about Princess with what is best about RCI (or Celebrity, Carnival, etc.) to make a new, better cruiseship? I know everybody's opinion about what is best is different, but for me, it would be all the "gimmicks" of RCI combined with everything else that I love about Princess (Anytime Dining, 24 hour buffet, 24 hour freshwater pools).[/font][/QUOTE] [font=Comic Sans MS]Since this is a wish-list thread, there’s nothing wrong with it. I was going to qualify my statement, but as usual, 'rob has said it better than I.[/font][/font]

[quote name='bdjam'][font=Comic Sans MS]Can you give some examples of the exact same tours and operators and half the price as what is sold on the ship?[/font][/QUOTE]

We booked the pirate ship tour on our Mexican cruise last year through the same tour operator that Princess used for 1/2 the cost. We were on the same pirate ship sitting right next to the Princess folks who paid double what we paid. I have read similar examples on these boards, but that is the one example that I have personal experience with. You can also usually find similar tours with different tour operators that are either less expensive or offer more features (i.e., longer tour, lunch included, etc.). One example of this would be horseback riding in Matzatlan. On our last Mexican cruise, Princess wanted considerably more for their horseback riding tour compared to what we booked ourselves with Randi's Happy Horses and their tour wasn't even as long.

Princess charges $109 for the tour to Tulum from Cozumel; it's $65 from Cozumel Insider.

Princess charges $59 for the tour to The Baths from Tortola. You can do it yourself for around $30-35.

Those are just two examples. It's pretty easy to save 30% or so by going directly to the vendor and about 50% by making your own arrangements.

You can do many shore excursions yourself for about half the price. Is it worth it? In some ports, the security of being on a ship's tour is worth the mark-up. In others, all you're doing is pay more for a poorer quality experience.

While I can't comment on costs among excursion bookings, don't you pay a premium to Princess for the guarantee that you're covered if the port is missed, or that they will take care of your transport to the excursion, will know you're on it if you don't make it back to the ship at sail time, etc.?

I could absolutely be wrong on this, but that's what I thought.

[quote name='MaryPoppinz']You can do many shore excursions yourself for about half the price. Is it worth it? In some ports, the security of being on a ship's tour is worth the mark-up. In others, all you're doing is pay more for a poorer quality experience.[/QUOTE]

It is possible to save money AND put together a much better tour, but there can be a lot of effort involved. Is it worth it? In some cases yes. We've done a fair sample of both private and ship's tours, so I don't necessarily agree with the phrasing that a ship's tour is of lesser quality. Overall we've been pleased with ship's tours. A private tour with a smaller group and your own agenda can make a good thing even better. One nice thing is that you can skip the obligatory gift-shop breaks and use your time more effectively.

What you get out of private tours is directly related to what you are willing to put in. There is still the risk of being dissatisfied, and when that happens, there might not be much you can do about it. That's happened to us, too, even after going with an operator who had good recommendations here.

[quote name='luv2cruise99']We booked the pirate ship tour on our Mexican cruise last year through the same tour operator that Princess used for 1/2 the cost. We were on the same pirate ship sitting right next to the Princess folks who paid double what we paid. I have read similar examples on these boards, but that is the one example that I have personal experience with. You can also usually find similar tours with different tour operators that are either less expensive or offer more features (i.e., longer tour, lunch included, etc.). One example of this would be horseback riding in Matzatlan. On our last Mexican cruise, Princess wanted considerably more for their horseback riding tour compared to what we booked ourselves with Randi's Happy Horses and their tour wasn't even as long.[/QUOTE] [font=Comic Sans MS]Thank you for the additional information. I guess I’m secure with Princess’ tours because they’ve done the research for me and packaged it into a place where all the data is available – I don’t have to spend the time to research tours and decide which I’m going to take - I don't have to make arrangements with tour operators and I don't have to worry if the ship doesn't make it to port. All of my Princess tours have been of high quality, so I don’t really worry about getting something better for less money and call me crazy, but I don't believe I'm getting something of poor quality. And, if something happens on that Princess sponsored tour, I know that the ship will wait until I return. Personally the fact that the packaging and reservations are done for me - and if I order online, my tickets will be waiting for me in my stateroom when I board the ship - is worth the addtional money.[/font]

We booked all of our excursions except one in Grand Cayman (we have booked with Nativeway two other times) through Princess, and I just feel that paying a little extra for the excursion through the ship is an insurance that we won't miss the ship.

Celebrity has a nice touch in the casual dinig area for breakfast and lunch...waiters are available to offer their services to carry your tray to the table for you. This is especially helpful when trying to carry a tray for young children as well as yourself. They will also offer to get beverages for you from the beverage station(and I am not talking about beverages that they charge for). Waiers also circulate through offering to refill coffee etc. We are taking our first Princess cruise in 2 months and can't wait. I'm sure we'll love it.

You do have to be a little cautious when booking independantly to be assured of not missing the ship. I wouldn't schedule an independent tour unless I can be sure of plenty of time for mishaps. I also wouldn't book a remote destination independently as I would want to be sure there are other ways back to the ship in case the tour transportation broke down. I also always check for recommendations from friends or CruiseCritic members prior to booking.

Sometimes if you find out which tour operator the ship is using, you can book the same exact tour at a reduced cost and still have the assurance of not missing the ship (since you will be on the same tour as the ship's people). This is what we did with the pirate ship tour in Mexico. It worked out great and was even more fun knowing that we paid way less than most of our tourmates.

Whether to book the ship's tours or independently is a personal decision. For me, I like to know that I got the best value possible and I don't mind doing a little research.

[quote name='spongerob']I don't necessarily agree with the phrasing that a ship's tour is of lesser quality[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the ship's tours are [i]necessarily[/i] of a lesser quality, but I have certainly seen situation, so I stand by my comment that "in some ports" you get a poorer quality experience when you use the ship's excursions.

I think the poster who is asking for more reasonably-priced excursions has a point, particularly when arranging a comparable private tour results in a better experience.

It's just semantics, and I really shouldn't have mentioned it. Ship's tours are generally good, not to say that I haven't had my problems. I've had problems with a private tour, too. Maybe it's just me and my 'glass is half full' attitude that would prefer to see things phrased, ship's tours are good, private can be better (and cheaper). I'll now return this tangent back to the thread already in progress. :)

[quote name='luv2cruise99']Sometimes if you find out which tour operator the ship is using, you can book the same exact tour at a reduced cost and still have the assurance of not missing the ship (since you will be on the same tour as the ship's people). [/QUOTE]

It is great if you can do that, but I've read a few times here that independent operators who get hired to do ship's tours are prohibited from booking privately and have had to cancel previously-arranged bookings. I expect all cruise lines try to enforce this to some degree.

Just thought of an improvement that would make my cruise ideal

7 night cruise - 7 sea days - now that would be total relaxation for me

No worrying about what day to book the spa treatment incase I miss I port, I could book one every day

No queueing at Princess Cays for an hour to get back on ship, or walking round shops in a port that are obvioulsy stocked with the souviner tourist in mind, no hours spent researching ports and tours and booking the ship excursion anyway. No rushing back to the ship for Lunch as DH wont eat anything the local restuarants offer. No getting up early so as not to miss anything.

Just 7 days floating on open sea, no land in sight, nowhere to be, nothing to plan, total bliss.......ahhh :p

Princess used to have free shuttles in the ports to the shopping areas. I really miss them especially in the European itineraries. You would think they would get together with the merchants to work out a deal. It would be nice to see that benefit come back.

"[font=Comic Sans MS]Thank you for the additional information. I guess I’m secure with Princess’ tours because they’ve done the research for me and packaged it into a place where all the data is available – I don’t have to spend the time to research tours and decide which I’m going to take - I don't have to make arrangements with tour operators and I don't have to worry if the ship doesn't make it to port. All of my Princess tours have been of high quality, so I don’t really worry about getting something better for less money and call me crazy, but I don't believe I'm getting something of poor quality. And, if something happens on that Princess sponsored tour, I know that the ship will wait until I return. Personally the fact that the packaging and reservations are done for me - and if I order online, my tickets will be waiting for me in my stateroom when I board the ship - is worth the addtional money."[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]A few hours ago, I pre-reserved our excursions on the princess website. I've been doing a lot of research (websites/guidebooks,etc.) and I imagine I could save us a few dollars here and there with approximately the same excursions. But there's the quality issue, the convenience issue (we'll be assured of getting priority with the tenders in a couple of ports so we can make our Princess exs. -- may not be lucky with independent ones), and the security (ship will wait for us if, for example, our snorkeling trip comes back late). Besides, hubby is paying for it.[/font]

i would prefer if princess would stop the never ending sales pitch. They somehow cheapen the experience when even the captain tries to "sell" you on new cruises while greeting past guests at the captain's circle party. At every possible moment they are attempting to sell you SOMETHING!....

One of the things I really like doing onboard is relaxing in a padded teak lounger on the Promenade Deck. I wish Princess would equip all of it's ships with these loungers. The Grand Class ships other than the Diamond and Sapphire don't seem to have them. Even better, all new builds should have the Promenade flooring made of teak rather than the metal they use on the Grand class ships.Oh, I forgot earlier as well, I agree with all who have said that they should use real coffee.

Archived