MDR'S on Pearl

sartoken

There are 2 mdr's on the Pearl. Is there something significantly different between the two? Are the menu's the same? Which one would you recommend? Thank you.

We were on the Pearl in May. On some cruises the menus have been pretty much the same with slight differences in preparation; on other cruises the menus are exactly the same. The mid-ship Indigo allows jeans and is slightly more casual. The decor is more modern and colorful and the ceiling is lower. The aft MDR Summer Palace does not allow jeans. The decor is more ornate and reflects Imperial Russia and the room/ceiling is two stories high. The quality of food and service is pretty much the same in both rooms.

We were on the Pearl in May. On some cruises the menus have been pretty much the same with slight differences in preparation; on other cruises the menus are exactly the same.

It's not about different cruises but the generation of menus - originally NCL had MDR menus that had two separate sides, one for always available items and other for daily changing items.

With these menus the always available side varied a bit between aft and midship MDRs. While the basic offerings were the same, the cut of steak was different, soup was broccoli vs mushroom (can't remember exactly, but as an example), different type of pasta (spaghetti vs penne) and different sauces, etc.

On newer menus the pages were combined and the differences also disappeared and all MDRs have had the same menus since.

The quality of food and service is pretty much the same in both rooms.

On most ships (if not all) the MDR dishes come from the same galley and the servers rotate around the ship so if there are differences, they are caused by individual persons and personalities, not the venues.

The Summer Palace (the aft MDR) is decorated in a Russian motif - like the Tsars Summer Palace. It is the larger of the two and is also where the dress up or not night is held.

So if you decide to dress up that night - it would be the place to go.

On our last Pearl cruise in 12 - we mostly ate in the Summer Palace - we were also in the aft of the ship and it was close (as was La Cuchina and the Garden Café :D)

We were on the Pearl last week. Menus are the same in Summer Place and Indigo. The difference is the atmosphere and dress code. Indigo is more casual - shorts and flip flops are acceptable. Summer place is more formal. Pants/Jeans/dresses are required. No shorts or flip flops allowed in Summer Place.

Really like my french fries. Can anyone recommend which restaurant serves really good french fries?

On all the NCL ships we have been on, we have found the best fries at the buffet. It's a fast turnover so they are often really good and fresh!

I am not up with what has new v old..does this mean a no to new menus?

Depends on which "new" menus you mean. If you mean the ones with a la carte items, those were just introduced on the Escape, and they were not on the Pearl last week.

If you mean the other iteration of "new" people were talking about before the a la carte ones were introduced, all I can say is that the ones on the Pearl were the same as the ones on the Epic two months ago. HTH.

Really like my french fries. Can anyone recommend which restaurant serves really good french fries?

Normally don't go on cruises:rolleyes: for french fries :rolleyes: maybe try Mcdonald's before you embark

Don't be a snob.

I go to Germany from time to time but I don't go for the pommes. But they have the best pommes in the world - I'm always up for schnitzel mit pommes. Their pommes are just a nice extra.

Pommes = Fries...

Just read in another thread a review that the curly fries in the Summer Palace (MDR) were the best fries the reviewer had had at sea. I had potato wedges in Summer Palace one night that were really good, too. Not French fries, but still very yummy!

We were on the Pearl last week. Menus are the same in Summer Place and Indigo. The difference is the atmosphere and dress code. Indigo is more casual - shorts and flip flops are acceptable. Summer place is more formal. Pants/Jeans/dresses are required. No shorts or flip flops allowed in Summer Place.

Yes, the atmosphere and dress code. Indigo is more casual, Summer place is more formal.

We found it was easier to get into Summer Palace than Indigo.