Disney World OR Cruising?

cynt

Definately ask the kids! My son was 8 when we went on our Disney cruise with extended family - when asked what he would like to do in the future another cruise or WDW (he had been to WDW 2 other times) he said CRUISE. He still says cruise even after we were on the NCL Dawn when the big wave hit it! Of course he will never turn his nose up at a WDW vacation either.

If it is only you -definately cruise --but ask the kids!

ps - we went to WDW in june for 12 days (6/21-7/2) Until 7/1 everything was manageable. As soon as July hit you could see the crowd difference.

Good Luck

I didn't take the time to read all the other posts....so sorry if MO is a repeat.

You are not only a creative but generous Aunt...this is my suggestion at thanksgiving or earlier ask each child if they could go anywhere, where would it be? .....You might be surprised how simple their answers are...then with that info make your decision.......maybe they just enjoy coming and spending the time with you at your house, being away from their regular routine is a vacation for many.........through the years I have learned..with my children less is better.

Do the girls like to go shopping maybe a shopping spree would be fun...what does your nephew like to do?

If you do the cruise or WDW, you really have to plan for spending money and alot...forget about relaxing whatever you decide to do, since they are not your children you will always feel that extra responsiblity.......and it is alot more difficult to say no when they ask you to buy something for them, of course that can be resolved by giving them each spending money that will have to last them throughout the whole trip.

We have done WDW and WDW/cruise with our 3 sons, and enjoyed both very much.

You are very lucky to have gracious relatives...have a great time.

Good Luck:)

I did a cruise with my kids (7 and 23) in August and they loved it. My 13 year old met a ton of kids her own age at the teen club. My 8 year old spent some of his time at the kids program and some time with us. Personally I liked that the cruise allowed us some relaxation time while the kids were doing the kids programs. Disney doesn't sound as relaxing. :)

I think the personality of the child has a lot to do with their enjoyment of a cruise. We took our DS(13) on his first (that he remembers) cruise in June. All he had talked about for a few year was taking a cruise. It was 10 nights to Alaska. He chose the # of nights & the destinations. He had a great time on port days, but sadly not on the cruise. We tried to get him to go to the teens club to meet other kids, but he was worried about being one of the youngest & wouldn't. He's not outgoing around strangers at all. When we planned our Nov. cruise for our anniversary, he said "I've got an idea. Why don't you go alone, since it's your anniversary." This was a big shock to us, because we haven't taken a trip w/o him. Turns out, he didn't like the cruise & doesn't want to go again. :( We've already decided to plan the next cruise on a more fun ship, to a more fun location & make him try it again. Hope it works!!! :D Oh yeah, we're taking one of his cousins or friends next time with him too, so he has someone to hang out with. :)

We have done both, WDW and cruising with the kids. This would be a tough one for me to answer, as we loved both! Actually, DH and I look forward to going to WDW again one day, without the kids!

WDW sounds like what you really want to do, but I'd do this plan only if you rent a house, don't try to do this in hotels. There are plenty of vacation home rentals in the area, many with pools, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and space to spread out. I don't think I could handle 4 kids in hotel rooms for a week! The biggest problem for you would be the daily organization and agreeing on where to go. We always find it difficult to go to an amusement park with more than 4 people, especially when more than 2 of them are kids. The week will also be filled with a lot of extra work for you.

A cruise would actually be a bit easier for you. The kids clubs would give the kids an opportunity to play with other kids, your littlest could swim to her hearts content. There would be no meal planning, no clean up, no shopping for you. If the kids are anything like mine, there's no agreeing on where to go, what to eat.

The passport thing has been extended a couple of years, so that should not be a worry for you now. Just make sure you have permission slips signed and notarized by both parents and the right to obtain medical service for the kids.

Yes, I'm all over the WDW forums and they have posed this same question. I'm finding out the Dis'ers are just as bad as the cruisers when it comes to their favorite vacation. They need fixes, go through depression and the whole nine. LOL!!

LOL!!! :D Yes, I am a DISer & a CCer! Does that mean I need twice as much counseling? :p Taking an additional adult on either trip would be a good idea. If their mom wants a break, the 23 yo. would be a great choice. Lots of energy!! :D I haven't seen your question posed over on the DIS, but had a sneaking suspicion that if you asked the same question there, you would get very different answers than here. My problem is, I want to do both multiple times a year. :eek: FYI, if you haven't visited the "Budget Board" there yet, you may want to check it out. It's a great source for budgeting any type of vacation, among other great advice.

We did Disney with the kids (12,8,& 6) and had to go with a moderately priced resort as those are the cheapest rooms available on resort for 5 in a room. If your sister goes, you might be looking at a higher priced room. We went on our first cruise the year after WDW and when asked where they wanted to go this year, hands down cruise. My girlfriend and her family went (6 in all) and it was cheaper for them to get two rooms at the All-Star resort than getting a room that slept 6.

We were originally booked on the Holiday over Thanksgiving, but were lucky enough to get rebooked on Celebration after our trip was cancelled- even the same week.

Good Luck deciding!

My vote is for the cruise. I haven't been to DW in several years and the last time I went I said I would never go back. As said before it's not very relaxing and you spend most of your time in line.

It may be the only chance the kids get to go on a cruise, and they can see have other people live.

Archived