Disney World OR Cruising?

cynt

I want to take my 3 nieces (14, 12 and 6) and nephew (10) on a vacation summer 2006. Their mom (my sis) have been through a lot this year and I want the kids to have something to look forward to this summer and a time where they can just be kids. I usually take off work and keep them for a week during the summer so my sister can pamper herself for a week. Just the savings in groceries ($250) alone allows her to purchase herself something nice. I send all the left over groceries back home with them too. LOL!!

I love cruising. My first cruise VOS, 2001 and I've been on 2 since (NOS and Ecstacy). I have another cruise booked for Sept 2006. My first thought was Freedom of the Seas, new, innovating, they'll love it. But as I began to think about the kiddos I think they would enjoy Disney World more. We have Six Flags in the DFW area and they absolutely love it. They love amusement parks. It also allows them to burn energy. So I started my Disney research and for the most part the pricing is about the same and close to my budget $5500. I went to Disneyworld 1997 and I loved it. I stayed at the military resort, Shades of Green. The convenience of being on the DW grounds alone was well worth the little extra $$. IMHO.

PRICING

DW: 7 days, 6 nights w/ 2 rooms @ Value class hotel (All Star themed), DW Magic passes (hopper and water parks included) and dining plan (2 meals and a snack) plus airfare = $5835.

5 nights from Galveston, Carnival ship 2 inside guarantees, $5743.52. Carnival Miracle, 7 nights 2 inside guarantees leaving from Tampa, $4585.44 plus another $1200 for air equals $5785.44.

NOS - $7067, 2 inside guar, 7 nights plus airfare, add'l $1250

So as you can tell everything is under $6000. My favorite cruise line is Royal but I can't afford to take them on a Voyager class ship at $7000 before airfare.

So now I'm at a crossroads. The kids are very grateful so I know they'll be happy wherever I decide to take them. I want this to be the best vacation ever for them. I want to surprise them at Christmas by wrapping brochures, postcards, stickers and stuff animals of whichever vacation I decide. I thought about casually mentioning it to them and see what they say. But my 12 yr old niece is super intelligent and she will figure it out. I can hear her now, "Grandma, Aunt Cynt asked us about ??, do you think she's going to take us?" She's a very articulate and inquisitive child. Too smart for her own good. LOL!!!

For those of you who have been cruising and to DW let me know your thoughts. The good the bad and the ugly. Since I have been to both and I loved them both, I'm torn. Think like the children. Which one would they prefer? Cruise or DW? Thanks.

I want to take my 3 nieces (14, 12 and 6) and nephew (10) on a vacation summer 2006. Their mom (my sis) have been through a lot this year and I want the kids to have something to look forward to this summer and a time where they can just be kids. I usually take off work and keep them for a week during the summer so my sister can pamper herself for a week. Just the savings in groceries ($250) alone allows her to purchase herself something nice. I send all the left over groceries back home with them too. LOL!!

I love cruising. My first cruise VOS, 2001 and I've been on 2 since (NOS and Ecstacy). I have another cruise booked for Sept 2006. My first thought was Freedom of the Seas, new, innovating, they'll love it. But as I began to think about the kiddos I think they would enjoy Disney World more. We have Six Flags in the DFW area and they absolutely love it. They love amusement parks. It also allows them to burn energy. So I started my Disney research and for the most part the pricing is about the same and close to my budget $5500. I went to Disneyworld 1997 and I loved it. I stayed at the military resort, Shades of Green. The convenience of being on the DW grounds alone was well worth the little extra $$. IMHO.

PRICING

DW: 7 days, 6 nights w/ 2 rooms @ Value class hotel (All Star themed), DW Magic passes (hopper and water parks included) and dining plan (2 meals and a snack) plus airfare = $5835.

5 nights from Galveston, Carnival ship 2 inside guarantees, $5743.52. Carnival Miracle, 7 nights 2 inside guarantees leaving from Tampa, $4585.44 plus another $1200 for air equals $5785.44.

So as you can tell everything is under $6000. My favorite cruise line is Royal but I can't afford to take them on a Voyager class ship at $7000 before airfare.

So now I'm at a crossroads. The kids are very grateful so I know they'll be happy wherever I decide to take them. I want this to be the best vacation ever for them. I want to surprise them at Christmas by wrapping brochures, postcards, stickers and stuff animals of whichever vacation I decide. I thought about casually mentioning it to them and see what they say. But my 12 yr old niece is super intelligent and she will figure it out. I can hear her now, "Grandma, Aunt Cynt asked us about ??, do you think she's going to take us?" She's a very articulate and inquisitive child. Too smart for her own good. LOL!!!

For those of you who have been cruising and to DW let me know your thoughts. The good the bad and the ugly. Since I have been to both and I loved them both, I'm torn. Think like the children. Which one would they prefer? Cruise or DW? Thanks.

You are an AMAZING aunt--those kids are so lucky!

We LOVE WDW!! :D Been there so many times and the kids have wonderful memories. That being said, the only time we didn't enjoy it was in the summer. We went one year in July--it was a nightmare. Very, very crowded, long lines, very hot....we vowed we'd only go back during times that we could take the kids out of school for a week. If your nieces and nephew are patient and don't mind the crowds and the heat, I'm sure they'd have a wonderful time--as long as they don't mind going on just a few rides or not seeing more than a show or two during each day (ours didn't think it was worth it, but that's just their opinions).

Have a wonderful trip either way!

A cruise would be easier on you. Keeping up with that many kids on your own, in the parks, won't be easy. That said, if the kids have never been to WDW that's an easy decision. All kids need to experience WDW. I think it should be a national law, & the government should foot the bill to make sure they all get to go at least once. :p While an adult would enjoy a 1st time visit to the parks, IMHO they would enjoy it more as a child. A 1st cruise would be just as amazing at any age. I agree it would be better, if you could go at a different time. When do they get out for the summer? If it's late May or the 1st week in June, that would be a better time to go. Also, the crowds thin out a little after the 2nd week in August. It will still be hot in mid to late Aug., but the lines won't be as long. Being from Texas, the heat probably won't bother you that much anyway. We're Floridians & if the parks aren't extremely crowded, the heat doesn't bother us at all. Plan your trip well & things will go much more smoothly. Thanks for the opportunity to talk about WDW. :D We took this year off from our usual Annual Pass purchase to take a couple cruises instead. As much as I loved our June cruise & am looking forward to our Nov. one, I'm having serious Disney withdrawals. :o BTW, the Disney cruise/parks combo would be a great option, if it doesn't exceed the budget. Enjoy!!!

PRICING

I put this question to my 12 DS he said Cruise by far!

How about both?! We did this a few years ago and had a great time!!!! We took a 2 week vacation, cruise the first week and WDW the next.

To be able to afford it, we took the following $$ saving measures:

cruise: we booked the Inspiration out of Tampa (that's when she sailed 7 night western caribbean cruises). By not booking one of the newest, biggest ships, the price was within our budget. And, just because it wasn't one of the newest, biggest ships didn't mean there was something wrong with it. We all had a great time (my family of 4, including 2 teen boys; my parents in their 80's; a couple of friends in their 50's).

WDW: we booked all components separately. With a package, we would have paid for things that we couldn't use (I know they've changed the packages and prices since then, but be sure to price it out yourself for comparison). We chose a moderate hotel (Coronado Springs), using a code from www.mousesavers.com to get a good price ($119 a night----I splurged a little because I think the moderate resorts have much more to offer than the budget accomodations at WDW---"All Stars", etc.----the grounds and pool areas just don't compare). We chose 5 day park hoppers because the first and last days were mostly for traveling to/from Tampa and we wanted one day to just relax at the resort and maybe do some shopping (Disney outlet store, downtown Disney). We didn't get the park hopper plus so we weren't able to go to the water parks. Although my boys really wanted to go, we were so busy touring the parks, there would have been no time to go there anyway, without taking time away from the parks.

Rental car: again, using a code from mousesavers, we got a car for the week for about $120. Although we didn't need one in WDW (their transportation can't be beat), it was nice to have it to travel to Wal Mart to stock up on breakfast foods for our room (another $ saver). We didn't have a refrigerator in the room, so we bought a styrofoam cooler at Wal Mart for $1--worked fine for milk and juice. I had priced out renting the car for just the first and last days to get us to/from Tampa and it was almost the same price.

By the way, we did go in mid-June (no choice with the kids in high school!). Yes, it was crowded, but with fast pass and a good plan we were able to see and experience everything we wanted to in each of the parks.

I would say WDW hands down. It would be wonderful if you could arrange it at a different time of year, spring break for instance. I just honestly think WDW is the dream vacation. Don't get me wrong....cruising is wonderful and they will have a great time if that is what you choose, but WDW is THE DREAM. Just as a thought though...we are going to spend 3 days at WDW and then driving to Ft. Lauderdale to get on a cruise. Both would be nice. Maybe not on the biggest ship in the balcony rooms, but it might be possible in the inside rooms and the value resort! No matter what you choose....have a great time.

Choose the cruise!

IMO, DisneyWorld is nothing like Six Flags. The older children will be bored as there are only limited good rides. Most of the rides are geared to younger children. If your children like Six Flags in Arlington, they may not like Disney World. I personally feel very controlled there. Also, there are many more incidental expenses on a land vacation compared to a cruise.

A cruise offers children the opportunity to see the real world (not epcot), while still having fun with others in their age groups. You will also have more ability to spend time with them individually, and maybe some down time while they are at activities.

My children love cruising. They feel free, and especially love picking up the phone and ordering room service.

I'll probably get jumped for my opinion on Disney World, but that's OK. Its just not for me or my family.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. :D

beth

Here's a few answers...

Timing - I've thought about this long and hard. I thought about taking them out of school for a week. Two of them would be fine but the other two it would be detrimental. Besides, I really believe kids should stay in school and not be on vacation. Ol' fashion. LOL! That being said, I'm considering May 26 - June 2. I'm not sure how WDW is on Labor day, the 29th. Their last day of school is Friday, May 26. I'm an accountant so month end is crucial for me. I think I can swing missing the first two days of the month and work Saturday and Sunday to make up for it. I'm still pondering this. If this doesn't work out, I'll go June 9 - 15. I'm checking around to make sure not to stay in any hotels that have large cheerleading, band, Senior Trip groups or etc.

Land and Sea - I thought about it but packing and unpacking for five, twice. No, thank you. SMILE!!

Package deals - ABSOLUTELY!! That's why I can finally afford to take them. Magic Express Pass. Better than sliced bread. It's also great that now you can add a dining plan. I've already figured out that I'm packing cereal and I'll purchase milk on my way to the resort for breakfast. I'll also pack fruit(apples and oranges), boxed fruit juices, bottled water and those sealed packs of tuna fish, pickle relish, Miracle Whip, bread and crackers for snacks. I already have my collapsable cooler from my cruise trips. SMILE!!

Heat - we're use to the heat. As long as it's not 100 degrees, I'll survive. I don't think it matters to the kids. I'm getting the passes that include the water parks. They love water parks. They're all water babies.

Lines and shows - This is why I want to take them for at least 7 days. To give us time to schedule and explore. We'll rise early and hit the main attractions and shows. I'm a huge planner so I'm surfing the Disney sites and forums for the ends and outs.

Thanks again for you humbled opinions. It helps me know that I'm on the right track. If you think of anything else for me to consider please post it. Thanks.

O, thanks for not flaming me. LOL!

We did the 3 days at DisneyWorld and 4 day cruise combo with our 3 kids and had a great time. We did DW first and then the cruise, a perfect way to relax after visiting the crowded parks. The cruise line will pick up your bags at your park hotel and it is so easy.

Have a great trip.

Here's a few answers...

Timing - I've thought about this long and hard. I thought about taking them out of school for a week. Two of them would be fine but the other two it would be detrimental. Besides, I really believe kids should stay in school and not be on vacation. Ol' fashion. LOL! That being said, I'm considering May 26 - June 2. I'm not sure how WDW is on Labor day, the 29th. Their last day of school is Friday, May 26. I'm an accountant so month end is crucial for me. I think I can swing missing the first two days of the month and work Saturday and Sunday to make up for it. I'm still pondering this. If this doesn't work out, I'll go June 9 - 15. I'm checking around to make sure not to stay in any hotels that have large cheerleading, band, Senior Trip groups or etc.

Land and Sea - I thought about it but packing and unpacking for five, twice. No, thank you. SMILE!!

Package deals - ABSOLUTELY!! That's why I can finally afford to take them. Magic Express Pass. Better than sliced bread. It's also great that now you can add a dining plan. I've already figured out that I'm packing cereal and I'll purchase milk on my way to the resort for breakfast. I'll also pack fruit(apples and oranges), boxed fruit juices, bottled water and those sealed packs of tuna fish, pickle relish, Miracle Whip, bread and crackers for snacks. I already have my collapsable cooler from my cruise trips. SMILE!!

Heat - we're use to the heat. As long as it's not 100 degrees, I'll survive. I don't think it matters to the kids. I'm getting the passes that include the water parks. They love water parks. They're all water babies.

Lines and shows - This is why I want to take them for at least 7 days. To give us time to schedule and explore. We'll rise early and hit the main attractions and shows. I'm a huge planner so I'm surfing the Disney sites and forums for the ends and outs.

Thanks again for you humbled opinions. It helps me know that I'm on the right track. If you think of anything else for me to consider please post it. Thanks.

O, thanks for not flaming me. LOL!

FWIW, I think you're definitely on the right track. While I think the cruise/land combo is a good option, if you want to cruise, I definitely think the longer stay at WDW allows you to relax & enjoy everything much more. Personally, I enjoy the longer stays much better. The rushed stays really aren't as much fun. You run around so much that you get tired & cranky. ;) There's plenty of bigger rides for the older ones. Memorial Day will definitely make a difference in the crowds. :( Too bad you can't go the Tue. after. Could you get most of your work done on the 1st & 2nd & leave home on the 3rd or 4th? If not, Tue. thru Fri. will hopefully not be as crowded. With 7 days & FP you can plan your way around most of the lines anyway. :) Have fun planning. :)

Pudgesmom, I'm in Plano. Are you enjoying this cooler weather? I'm loving it. Expound on why you feel controlled at WDW. That's a new one on me. When I went in '97, I felt just the opposite. I was in my late 20's at the time and I felt like a big kid out of control with so much to do and see. That's another reason why I want to take them to WDW. I want each of them to pick a park and a day. For that day that person will be in charge. We do whatever and ride whatever they want to do that day or at least until early afternoon. Kind of like be King/Queen for a day. We eat where they want to eat and watch the shows that they want to see. I think the kids will have a blast. The kids are high strung and very active. I think the 10, 12 and 14 yr old would become bored on a cruise - especially the sea days. I don't know maybe not!?!?!? Walking, running, jumping, riding and swimming for 7 days...whoa!! I'm tired just thinking about it.

I'm pulling towards WDW but if I catch a super special on a Voyager class RCCL ship, we might just be sailing away.

I also agree, there's so much to do in those parks, there's no way any of them would be bored. No way. The little one is happy swimming all day. My nephew and oldest niece will do anything athletic and competitive. The 12 year old will go either way. She's the one with her own style and laid back. She's the giggley preteen who has realized that all boys aren't dorks. LOL!!

Thanks again for your feed back.

I have to tell you, we took our 4 grandkids (and their parents) on Pride to Mexico last year. We were a little worried about the boys - ages 10 and 8 - being bored. We were sitting at our diner table with a window right there and they were watching the sun set and as it touched the water the youngest said "wow, this is way better than Disneyland". They just so enjoyed it and want to go back all the time. Don't get me wrong, I need my Disneyland "fix" every 2 years and we are planning on taking the youngest one (2) as soon as she is old enough. Either way the kids are lucky to have an aunt like you and you will enjoy them wherever you go.

PRICING

We're from Florida and have taken the kids to DW since they were babies, they always love it, but it's a lot of work!!!!!! Are you going alone???? I would say a cruise no question, just for the supervision level alone. We took our kids on their first cruise at ages 3 and 5. They both loved it, and at the time chose cruises over DW. Now we are going on their 4th (11 and 13) and they are still very excited. They get to do a lot of things on their own, and most importantly, I get to enjoy myself too.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Disney in the Summer is too hot and too regimented. A cruise is by far more relaxing...and no wait in long lines.

Did both with the kids.. I too asked them if they had a choice between Disney or a cruise what would they prefer...and everyone said a cruise.

I agree with funinthesun and serene56. Disney is not at all relaxing. No matter how much we tell ourselves that we will take time to relax at WDW we never do. Waiting in long hot lines is not so bad when you're 20, but it is torture for kids and especially that many kids. People tend to get very cranky waiting in line for over an hour and then taking a ride that lasts a few minutes. My kids have done both and would both choose the cruise any day. They can do activities with their age group on the cruise but then you can have dinner together and days in ports together (think beaching it). If the kids have been through a rough year they may need some down time and a cruise can provide that. Each person can choose just how much activity they are interested in. My kids who are now 10 and 14 took their first cruise at 7 and 11. They have not been bored unless they wanted to be. The kids programs are great for the little kids and teens like to hang out and occassionally participate in activities. The Carnival Miracle looks like a good deal. It's a newer ship with lots of amenities.

I'm sure the kids will be grateful no matter what you choose. You are a special aunt.

Well, I have 12 trips to WDW in the last 5 years with our 13th coming up next month. Only one 3 night cruise to compare to.

WDW is hard work especially for those that haven''t been before or been often. We love it but it took several trips before I'd begin to call it a relaxing vacation. And to do it with one adult, 4 kids and the age spread of the kids, would be difficult. Maybe save that for sometime when your sister can come too. One more person wouldn't add to the room cost at all.

My vote is the cruise, especially since there are responses from kids who have done both and they say cruise. The kids have programs built just for them and they all can make new friends.

From what I've read here, you may not be able to get GTY rooms since there would not be an adult in the other room. The rooms may or may not be together once they do the assigning.

I think I've seen notes where they can get 5 in a Jr Suite on Carnival with bringing in a rollaway.

Good luck with your decision and it's really terrific what your doing!

Sharon

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your thoughts and especially looking out for me and making sure I have a good time and relax.

I haven't made a decision. I'm still surfing, researching and pricing. I commend everyone with children. It's simple when it's one person to think about. But when you add 4 kids, your plans change totally trying to please and make sure they have a wonderful time as well as trying to keep them safe and supervised.

I have been enlightened...BIG TIME!

Yes, I'm thinking about asking my sister if she wants to go with us. She doesn't know I'm planning a vacation for the kids. She just knows I want to get them again for a week this summer. The extra set of hands alone would be more than worth it...whether I go an a cruise or to WDW. I have a 23 yr old sis who also might be interested in going with us.

Yes, I'm all over the WDW forums and they have posed this same question. I'm finding out the Dis'ers are just as bad as the cruisers when it comes to their favorite vacation. They need fixes, go through depression and the whole nine. LOL!!

O, BTW I'll need to add an expense for passports if we go cruising which I totally forgot about until I was riding home from work last night.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'm thinking about telling the kids just so they can make the decision. Less stress on me. LOL!!!!

Thanks again for all of your assistance. You guys and gals are GREAT!!

I did a cruise with my kids (7 and 23) in August and they loved it. My 13 year old met a ton of kids her own age at the teen club. My 8 year old spent some of his time at the kids program and some time with us. Personally I liked that the cruise allowed us some relaxation time while the kids were doing the kids programs. Disney doesn't sound as relaxing. :)

Archived