Best Western Inn and Suites San Pedro

calisilent

My review is a couple weeks late but, DH and I just stayed at the Best Western Inn and Suites San Pedro on Gaffey Street for one night, pre-cruise on the Ruby to Cabo. We stayed there on October 24th and it was perfect!

I give this review with the perspective of a person who has vacationed in both 5 star resorts and have also had the misfortune to have "taken what was available" and in a pinch stayed in your "basic room with a bed and sketchy door lock and sent the husband out for a can of lysol deal" as well!

The exterior of the Best Western Gaffey Street is clean and well maintained. While the immediate neighborhood is a montage of ordinary businesses and high traffic on Gaffey into the downtown area, it was relatively quiet and completely without concern. We found ample parking in the covered area on the second floor of the building, and easy access into the lobby of a very clean, pretty, and well designed hotel. The young lady at the front desk greeted us cheerily and quickly checked us in and offered any help we may need in locating a restaurant for dinner that evening, ( we chose The Green Onion on 6th Street near Harbor Blvd. Delicious Mexican food in a great atmosphere!) Back to the hotel: The lobby and lounge/ballroom areas are beautifully decorated with antique replica furnishings and there are lots of spots to relax and have a drink or complimentary beverage or snack and enjoy the ambiance.

The King Suite that DH and I were given was very large and furnished with comfortable, contemporary furniture. Sofa, writing desk, wing chair with foot stool, entertainment armoire, comfortable bed with very nice linen, and refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. We slept very well that night, and the room was very quiet despite being on a busy corner.

The vanity area and closet were separate from the toilet and shower room. The vanity area was large, well lit, and separated from the sleeping area enough that DH was undisturbed when I got up early and started getting ready TO GET ON THE SHIP!

A full breakfast was included in our reservation, however, we were traveling with my parents and my Dad likes to have breakfast in a full service-sit down restaurant. We decided to check out before eating breakfast (which looked good to me when I went down to get a glass of orange juice!) and go to "Grinder" for a breakfast with wait staff service. By the way, Grinder is just across the street from the Princess Pier and the food is amazing! Our waitress was as sweet and efficient as can be. We ate inside and then when we finished we took our coffees outside to a table on the covered patio overlooking the harbor. We enjoyed coffee and conversation and wonderful people-watching for another hour or so until we made our way to the pier.

We paid $144 dollars including tax for our suite at Best Western Plus Inn and Suites and I think it was an excellent value. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

I hope this review is helpful and I am happy to answer any questions that may have not been addressed in my ramblings!

Cathy

As a bit of a counterbalance to Carol's review...here's my take on the Best Western:

The hotel itself is "okay"...it's kept up nicely...

And the "rack" rates are lower than, say, the Crowne Plaza...

OTOH, you are comparing a 2 star motel to a 3.5 star hotel...

AND, if you go through Priceline, for example, you will likely get the Crowne Plaza for less than that $144 per night.

Another problem I have with the Best Western is location...It is located on Gaffey, the busiest thoroughfare in San Pedro...within a couple of blocks of where the 110 Freeway ends and dumps out traffic right onto Gaffey. The immediate area around the motel is pretty scuzzy...the nearest restaurants are fast food outlets. Most of San Pedro's better restaurants are a good many blocks away--over near the Crowne Plaza...The Green Onion, for example, that Carol speaks of is virtually across the street from the Crowne Plaza. My favorite, the San Pedro Brewing Co., is a block from the Crowne Plaza...Acapulco, on the waterfront, is about two blocks away...

The Best Western is about ten long blocks from the CP...

The CP is also only about three blocks walk to the Cruise Terminal Parking Lot...and the Battleship Iowa...(Then, across or along the parking area from there to the individual terminals). Ports o' Call Village with its shops and eateries is just to the south of Acapulco along the waterfront--easy walk from the CP, probably a cab ride from the BW...

That Grinder Restaurant Carol speaks of is around the corner from the CP--one block down to the waterfront, then left and on that next block up--across from the Cruise Terminal...The BW is a good 8 blocks inland...

Look, a lot of folks seem to be satisfied with the Best Western. Personally, I much prefer the Crowne Plaza--for location, convenience, surrounding neighborhood and amenities and for the quality of the hotel itself...

Just another point of view...

I couldn't agree more with your review. We stayed at the BW last month. The hotel itself is quaint and lovely and the staff helpful and courteous. I thought the breakfast was one of the best that I have had in a hotel. BUT THE AREA IS AWFUL! I refused to cross the street even with a light because of traffic, and this was in daylight. There is only fast food near the hotel and after a day of travel, we like a nice sit down meal with a glass of wine and we don't want to have to take a cab to get there. The area is also uneven and hilly and would be a challenge for anyone with an ambulatory problem.

We are leaving on the Ruby 2-29-2016 and got the CP for $97 on Priceline, which I consider a bargain. I might have gotten a better price waiting until the last minute but I like the peace of mind knowing that our travel plans are set well in advance. In the past we have usually stayed at the Doubletree, a nice hotel. We thought we would give the BW a try, we will not return.

We like the Acapulco restaurant because of the view, the quality of the food, and the service but we have heard consistent rave reviews about the SP Brewing Co........

SDSU Aztec Judith

• 3 weeks later...
When you do Priceline will they allow you to keep your car at the hotel if you get the Crown Plaza? Also does the crown include breakfast?

Same question as lbfluffy, if you do priceline can you park your car at the hotel for a week?

Crowne has a "Park & Sail" package that includes 1 night at the hotel, 2 drinks, breakfast for 2, parking for 15 nights, ans shuttle to and from the port.

Priceline is typically a room for the night.

Parking is about $15 a night, so you are usually better off getting the Park & Sail package.

how can u know u will get crown plaza in san pedro using priceline we need 3 rooms for our group what a problem if we r at different hotels from san pedro to long beach

I have seen on cc that a lot of folks have used priceline to get the crown plaza any tips how to make it work for a group

thanks

• 2 months later...

I'm guessing you are currently on your cruise, so hopefully you will see this message in your email when you get back.

What did you think of the CP? We can stay there or the Doubletree with points. Which would you prefer? Does either offer a shuttle to the port?

Thanks.

I couldn't agree more with your review. We stayed at the BW last month. The hotel itself is quaint and lovely and the staff helpful and courteous. I thought the breakfast was one of the best that I have had in a hotel. BUT THE AREA IS AWFUL! I refused to cross the street even with a light because of traffic, and this was in daylight. There is only fast food near the hotel and after a day of travel, we like a nice sit down meal with a glass of wine and we don't want to have to take a cab to get there. The area is also uneven and hilly and would be a challenge for anyone with an ambulatory problem.

We are leaving on the Ruby 2-29-2016 and got the CP for $97 on Priceline, which I consider a bargain. I might have gotten a better price waiting until the last minute but I like the peace of mind knowing that our travel plans are set well in advance. In the past we have usually stayed at the Doubletree, a nice hotel. We thought we would give the BW a try, we will not return.

We like the Acapulco restaurant because of the view, the quality of the food, and the service but we have heard consistent rave reviews about the SP Brewing Co........

SDSU Aztec Judith