First impressions of Pacific Eden

It takes time to bed in the timing and procedures of things.

You don't go on an inaugural cruise to see things run smoothly.

I don't agree with the underlying attitude here. Experienced cruisers and more so those who frequent forums like this may know about inaugural cruises , but possibly the majority don't. There really is no excuse for an inaugural cruise to be deficient in any way -- except that the cruiselines do not spare any time to "work-up" their ships and their crews (as the Navy does). If they are going to expect fare paying passengers to pay full fares for what is basically a work-up cruise, then they can also expect to gets lots of quite valid complaints

I don't agree with the underlying attitude here. Experienced cruisers and more so those who frequent forums like this may know about inaugural cruises , but possibly the majority don't. There really is no excuse for an inaugural cruise to be deficient in any way -- except that the cruiselines do not spare any time to "work-up" their ships and their crews (as the Navy does). If they are going to expect fare paying passengers to pay full fares for what is basically a work-up cruise, then they can also expect to gets lots of quite valid complaints

A cruise ship is a big, complicated operation. It takes time to bed in procedures and experience from staff to make them run smoothly.

Anyone expecting such a commercial operation to run smoothly on day 1 is not being realistic.

And yes, your analogy with the Navy indicates that it can be done - but that is achieved via lengthy sea trials, over many months, that are done at taxpayer cost. Businesses don't operate in the same way of running things without revenue for months. Is that what you expect them to do? If so, I don't agree that that is realistic.

This is why I reckon they should have asked more moderate fares for the first 6 months of the ships being here. Instead they went for higher pricing

Well this works fine if everything goes to plan. However, it didn't and people feel that they paid decent money and got a shoddy experience. Its hard to get some people on your cruiseline let alone ripping them off and giving them a crappy experience too. :D

Good luck getting them back . . .

Edited by icat2000

And yes, your analogy with the Navy indicates that it can be done - but that is achieved via lengthy sea trials, over many months, that are done at taxpayer cost. Businesses don't operate in the same way of running things without revenue for months. Is that what you expect them to do? If so, I don't agree that that is realistic.

Well -obviously not - but the current alternative of regarding an inaugural cruise as "just another cruise" is also not realistic.

On a cost basis that makes sense, however, lines pricing is based on demand. Sometimes they sell below cost as demand is low, just to get the numbers on board. And when demand is high such as for a new ship, prices go up.

Even if they priced them low (in which case the sailings would be sold quickly) I'm sure you'd still get a similar number of complaints about issues anyway for the same reason: it's a new ship, why isn't this right, didn't enjoy it, whatever.

Similarly with MSC which often does have cheaper sailings, their ships often have lower ratings as well, and many Western style cruisers complain because of the differences. Does the fact they paid less discourage those complaints? Seemingly not.

Well -obviously not - but the current alternative of regarding an inaugural cruise as "just another cruise" is also not realistic.

Actually, it is.

All the cruise lines have 'issues' with dissatisfied customers. Right now, from the past week, there's complaints regarding customers being shafted or treated poorly with at least Princess, P&O, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Their response is all the same - generally ignore and avoid. Their main focus is increasing profits and they make changes to achieve that, including running ships ASAP. Sure, they'll do the best the can, but they don't expect to achieve perfection, and they deliberately make changes with little notice that annoy existing customers in many ways. So running ships straight away without service trials is not something that is going to change as things stand.

If your comment was actually intended to be whether that's good in a customer satisfaction sense, of course it's not. But it's certainly very real!

• 1 month later...

It was wonderful to see the photos of the Eden.

For many years i have been hassling hubby about going on a cruise and finally we booked and its getting closer. We head off on the Eden from Adelaide to Melbourne and return.

We booked an Ocean View room, and just got our room number, we are on level 6, i figure being a cruise virgin there is lots to learn. The fact i am not going to be cooking or cleaning, im sure im going to be very happy.

Can someone tell me is it correct there is no fridges in the ocean view cabins?

Hi Anniepoohbear

With an attitude like yours you are sure to have a good time. I think people enjoy themselves less if they have grand expectations. Keep an open mind and you are sure to have fun. It is a nice little ship. We cruised on Eden in December and were on level 6 and our room did not have a fridge. I liked that level, it was quiet and you don't even notice people on the walkway. I guess you might if you were next to the smoking area but we were at the complete opposite end/side so really had no disturbance from outside the window. I would book the same room again. Tip for beginners - your suitcase should fit under the bed so that will leave more room in your cupboard/room, although I don't expect you have packed too much for a shortish cruise.

I hope you have a great time and welcome to the world of cruising. Be warned, it is seriously addictive.

Suzanne

It was wonderful to see the photos of the Eden.

For many years i have been hassling hubby about going on a cruise and finally we booked and its getting closer. We head off on the Eden from Adelaide to Melbourne and return.

We booked an Ocean View room, and just got our room number, we are on level 6, i figure being a cruise virgin there is lots to learn. The fact i am not going to be cooking or cleaning, im sure im going to be very happy.

Can someone tell me is it correct there is no fridges in the ocean view cabins?

Welcome to cruise critic and I know you will enjoy the cruise. The Eden's initial issues have been resolved and as mentioned with your attitude, you will love it and be hooked like most of us. :D

You have been warned.:p