Bicycle riding on the Malecon ?

boomonster

I cannot seem to find how long the malecon actually is or where it begins. We were really thinking of renting bicycles and riding . But the only info I found was from 2014 saying it was about a mile and a half long (not really long enough to bike ride)but they were going to expand it to the cruise port. I was just wondering if they have or if anyone has any info. TIA

I was just there for the third time on 10/31/2015 CCL Valor cruise. You dock in Costa Maya. There are no bike rentals in Costa Maya. If you walk outside of the terminal and walk about an additional 5 minutes there are taxi's near a blue tower. It is a $2 fee per person each way to Mahahual. In Mahahual is where the malecon is and bike rentals available. However, the malecon has not been extended along the waterfront from Mahahual north to Costa Maya. The malecon is only about 1 1/2 miles long however there is a dirt road that extends south for several miles that weaves along the coastline in which there are homes, bars and businesses scattered along the water. About the only traffic you will see is an intermittent vehicle and gas powered golf carts.

I thought at one time there was a bicycle rental at the port same place as the golf carts. Rear parking area.

And you can bike from the cruise port to Mahahual malecon via the local streets. There's a "coastal road" that goes from the cruise port to the highway. You can take it just tot he left out of the port. It runs in just to the east of the main street from the port's entrance tot he highway. A quick left and you're at the lighthouse. then a right and you're on the malecon. Once you reach the end of the malecon at what used to be a large camping area (might still be), you can follow the road on down to Almaplena or further south. Google a map of Costa Maya, or Nuevo Mahahual as well as the Mahahual malecon. You can download from Google Earth too. Just be sure your bikes are fat tire and can handle rougher roads and not skinny tire touring or single gear beach cruisers.

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot seem to find how long the malecon actually is or where it begins. We were really thinking of renting bicycles and riding . But the only info I found was from 2014 saying it was about a mile and a half long (not really long enough to bike ride)but they were going to expand it to the cruise port. I was just wondering if they have or if anyone has any info. TIA

While I'm not sure how long it is, you can catch the $3pp tram over there and the very first stop is at Senior Frogs. Get off there and head to your left. You will come to a place called Blue Kay. They rented bikes there and they are the very first property at the beginning of the malecon (the lighthouse is by it). Then you can go up and down the malecon if you'd like and it's a little town, so you could also circle around the regular streets there too. :)

PB130081%20copy-M.jpg