Formal nights on Anthem Of the Seas

dptt

Anthem of the Seas has Dynamic Dining not traditional dining and there is no single Main Dining Room.The ship does not have formal night, but rather it is formal dining at the Grande, a complementary dining venue, every night.

Ive heard mixed reviews on what form dining in the grande actually is. Can someone elaborate on that?

Ive heard mixed reviews on what form dining in the grande actually is. Can someone elaborate on that?

I discussed the Grande and the joke of a dress code in my review thread, in this comment:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48226040&postcount=31

The full review of our wonderful TA on Anthem is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277588

Let me be clear; I don't care what others wear, but either have a dress code and enforce it, or don't have one, so those of us who follow the rules don't have to bring needless extra attire.

Let me be clear; I don't care what others wear, but either have a dress code and enforce it, or don't have one, so those of us who follow the rules don't have to bring needless extra attire.

Dress code enforcement in The Grande is probably better than on formal night in the MDR on other ships. It is up to each customer to determine if they want to chance being turned away from Grande by not dressing as "suggested" by RCI.

Dress code enforcement in The Grande is probably better than on formal night in the MDR on other ships. It is up to each customer to determine if they want to chance being turned away from Grande by not dressing as "suggested" by RCI.

Respectfully, I totally disagree. People packing for a cruise, particularly folks flying to a port (with all the restrictions on luggage), should not have to guess or "chance" at whether a dress code stated by the cruise company will be enforced or not.

Have one or not, but don't have one and leave it to "chance."

I'm sure it will vary by night, but we were all dressed up with tux and cocktail dress, and few people we saw were dressed appropriately which was a disappointment. Some wore jeans, even saw a lady in long shorts and sneakers. My advice is do what you want but don't feel pressured to super duper dress up if it's not your thing. On a side note, this was the worst restaurant we dined it, truly dismal service and food and we cancelled the second reservation we had even though we had a tux in our cabin ready for use. I hope your experience will be better. On a positive note, it's a truly beautiful dining room, the prettiest on board.

I'm sure it will vary by night, but we were all dressed up with tux and cocktail dress, and few people we saw were dressed appropriately which was a disappointment. Some wore jeans, even saw a lady in long shorts and sneakers. My advice is do what you want but don't feel pressured to super duper dress up if it's not your thing. On a side note, this was the worst restaurant we dined it, truly dismal service and food and we cancelled the second reservation we had even though we had a tux in our cabin ready for use. I hope your experience will be better. On a positive note, it's a truly beautiful dining room, the prettiest on board.

Agreed -- we had the same experience on the same sailing.

On a side note, this was the worst restaurant we dined it, truly dismal service and food and we cancelled the second reservation we had even though we had a tux in our cabin ready for use.

On the TA, we also experienced very poor, harried service in Grande. As for the food, my main dish (duck a l'orange) was quite good, but the lobster bisque I'd ordered was inedible. In my review, I commented that nothing about Grande -- neither the food overall nor the service -- justified this being a "formal" restaurant. Nothing special about it.

Agreed -- we had the same experience on the same sailing.

Sorry to hear about your dining experience in The Grande. We will be on Anthem next year on 3 different cruises.In which restaurant did you have the best experience?

Sorry to hear about your dining experience in The Grande. We will be on Anthem next year on 3 different cruises.In which restaurant did you have the best experience?

Devinly Decadence was outstanding, and we also really enjoyed Chic. Silk has a great menu if you like Asian food (variety of types), and American Icon was also solid too.

Devinly Decadence was outstanding, and we also really enjoyed Chic. Silk has a great menu if you like Asian food (variety of types), and American Icon was also solid too.

Food is sooooo subjective. :) We thought Silk was awful (and we LOVE Asian food); nothing tasted good. Oddly, we had the best service there of the "complimentary" venues where we ate.

American Icon ... totally indedible "Ruben [sic] sandwich" which the menu said was made with pastrami but was some sort of foul tasting meat. The candy bar dessert, however, was pretty good. Harried service at lunch, we decided not to try dinner there.

We did enjoy Devinly Decadence (to our great surprise, given the concept) --- breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enchiladas were spectacular. Really flavorful. (Don't miss the brownies.)

Food is sooooo subjective. :) We thought Silk was awful (and we LOVE Asian food); nothing tasted good. Oddly, we had the best service there of the "complimentary" venues where we ate.

American Icon ... totally indedible "Ruben [sic] sandwich" which the menu said was made with pastrami but was some sort of foul tasting meat. The candy bar dessert, however, was pretty good. Harried service at lunch, we decided not to try dinner there.

We did enjoy Devinly Decadence (to our great surprise, given the concept) --- breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enchiladas were spectacular. Really flavorful. (Don't miss the brownies.)

I tried the reuben in the Windjammer because they spelled it properly on the sign up there, and although I didn't think it was inedible at all, it definitely was not a standard reuben that one would expect to get here in the states.

Service at Silk was excellent and they were clearly trying very hard. They asked us for feedback on various dishes we tried, which we provided. Service at American Icon was fine for dinner, slightly more rushed for lunch. Food was good both times.