Tipping porter at the cruise terminal

The porters are union employees of the port, and probably make a very decent salary to put your bag on a cart and push it a few feet. Save your money.

Why does it matter what their salaries are? :confused: They are working in a service position that customarily, awards them with tips. If they make good money, I say good for them.

I always do because I'm afraid I will not see my luggage again. I don't mind tipping but I do t really like to tip those porter. My friend or parents usually drop me at the port and I try to avoid the rush of parking in front of the porters, so we parka few feet before them that way I can take my luggage and say good bye without feeling the rush.

I basically handle my bags to the porter and all they do is to move them 5 feets away from me. For real I can do that myself, I stick around for a while just to make sure my luggage is inside those metal carts heading to the inside of the terminal.

Btw, these day I use the " lets take a selfie" excuse. I'm excited about the cruise but once I get to the porter I pretend to be over excited about the ship, itinerary etc and I ask to take a selfie with my porter.

Edited by mcatmcat

Thanks for your response, we all have to help serve humanity in the best way possible by using the skills that we have. As a nurse, I'm there to hold your hand when you are scared, silently pray that the tumor being removed is not cancer, hope that you don't bleed to death at 3:00am after a horrific traffic accident where you were hit head on by a drunk driver, cry with you when you wake up from surgery because you asked for your wife and kids and found out they died.

I have never gotten a tip for what i do for work, and I work very hard and sacrificed a lot to get to where I am today. If you think I don't tip for good service then you're wrong but I refuse to part with my hard earned money for someone that preys on someone else through intimidation to be rewarded for pushing a cart of luggage a few feet inside a building to pass them off to someone else so he can hurry outside to get more.

Very well said.Thank you.

Btw, these day I use the " lets take a selfie" excuse. I'm excited about the cruise but once I get to the porter I pretend to be over excited about the ship, itinerary etc and I ask to take a selfie with my porter.

What a great idea.

Thank you for sharing.

I like it

Thanks for your response, we all have to help serve humanity in the best way possible by using the skills that we have. As a nurse, I'm there to hold your hand when you are scared, silently pray that the tumor being removed is not cancer, hope that you don't bleed to death at 3:00am after a horrific traffic accident where you were hit head on by a drunk driver, cry with you when you wake up from surgery because you asked for your wife and kids and found out they died.

I have never gotten a tip for what i do for work, and I work very hard and sacrificed a lot to get to where I am today. If you think I don't tip for good service then you're wrong but I refuse to part with my hard earned money for someone that preys on someone else through intimidation to be rewarded for pushing a cart of luggage a few feet inside a building to pass them off to someone else so he can hurry outside to get more.

Wonderfully stated. All of us basically work in an industry to serve people in one capacity or another. The cashier at Walmart is serving me when they ring up and bag my purchases, I don't tip them. I don't tip the mailman for delivering my mail. I don't tip the man who changed the oil in my car. I just really don't understand our mentality that we need to tip people for performing their job functions.

A tip should be for excellent service, not a bribe to be sure I get my luggage for the expensive cruise I already paid for.