Pacific Jewel dining

Can someone explain to me the dining options.

Do you get assigned fixed dining or is there anytime dinning. I'm not sure how it works for PO. I'm not finding the information helpful on PO Australia website. I can see the various restaurants and some have charges. However, it doesn't explain how the dining works. Do you just rock up, do you book, do you get assigned a table at the freebie ones??

P&O have anytime dining. You can book (either early or late time shot) or just rock up and wait in an enormous queue. I feel it does not work well. We have had anytime dining on other ships and it has been brilliant.

With P&O I strongly suggest you book for the first night as soon as you board, then as you leave the restaurant, book for the next night. If we are sitting not far from the door, sometimes, one of us has slipped out during the meal and booked for the next night.

You can choose anytime dining or set dinning, from memory we chose it when booking (we prefer anytime dinning). Although it's anytime dinning we usually book for the next dinner time the night before (after our dinner).

The first time we traveled, we were a group of three and usually were seated with other people which I enjoyed and that is probably what they will do with you.

There is the waterfront restaurant/main dining hall, which is free, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and you can book the night before (we usually book around any shows we want to see/activities). You only need to book for dinner.

Then there is the Salt grill which is for a fee but well worth it, bookings are highly recommended (depending on demand, some recommend booking at the start of the cruise), but not sure what they do with solo travelers. There is also the Luna restaurant which is also for a fee and have to book.

When I was there was the buffet but it may be called the pantry now (different food stall type things), which should be free with a common eating area I assume. When I was there last in Feb, there were also a couple of cafes which you had to pay for. The Grill was near the pool area, some things were included and some had a small fee, you eat this in the common sitting area (no booking required).

Hope this helps :) Their new website is confusing!

HI, We were on the Pacific Jewel in May. Dining room is anytime and you have to book each night. Everyone seems to want early dining and there is a long queue for early seating. We eventually booked for the whole cruise at 7.45pm when it is less busy. The overworked staff member trying to juggle everyone told me the restaurant only seats 700 and there are over 2000 passengers so set sitting times wouldn't work. There is the Salt Grill which has a cover charge and you can go to the buffet which is now called The Pantry. Service varies at lot depending on where you are sitting, which waiter you get and how many are on your table. When we were on a large table some people had finished their main meal before others got theirs. Just not enough staff.

If you want just casual eating then you can go to the pantry and pig out, there is plenty to eat, the food stations are based on themes from different country's , and an aussie roast, separate sweets station.

You can sit any where you like at any time.

re solo, I had to do it solo last trip as the missus could not make it, here is the catch with the pantry on the Jewel, They used to have carry trays , BUT THEY DONT ANY MORE, which is a real pain as they now insist on the food being on different plates, so to avoid standing in long queues, to get a taste of this and that, you have to juggle a drink and several plates and put the knife and fork in a pocket, if you dont do the juggle act,

the staff are very quick and if you go back for more you usually find the table is cleared and somebody else sitting there, you can always ask another passenger to mind your spot, but I did not do that.

RE dining in the free waterfront restaurant, you can talk to the people at the front desk or you can phone them to make a booking, try and do that early or you have the option of walk up dining at about 7:45 and take pot luck but check out the menu its on display at front door area, I made a couple of bookings but ended up in the pantry could not wait till 7:45, there is also the Grill which is separate from the salt grill which charges an extra $50 a head per meal, and there is the luna but I avoided that cannot remember the charge for that. Also in the water front they ask you do you want to share a table with somebody else, at least they did for me. Trying to feed 2000 is a big task.

Edited by 6666oz