Connect through Munich or Zurich?

138east

Booking FF miles from Boston to Barcelona and the two best choices are Swiss Air connecting through Zurich or Lufthansa connecting through Munich. Going several days before my TA, so missing the cruise is not an issue.

Which airport might offer an easier connect? Read a little about Munich and was surprised at its passenger statistics and overall amount of passenger traffic. Any advice on how much connect time to allow? Do either of these airports use buses to and from the plane? I usually do carry on, so hefting luggage up and down airplane steps is not appealing (did that two years ago with a Berlin connection).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I've never flown thru MUC, but everything I've read about the airport is that it's quite easy. I have flown thru ZRH twice in the last year, once as point of origin and once as a connection. It's quite an efficient airport, and would have no problems booking a relatively tight connection there. Granted, both times I was also flying business, so it did ease the whole process... :D

Thanks for the feedback. The Zurich option disappeared, so I'm going through Munich! Plenty of transfer time. Even got seat assignments. Just love FF miles!

I have been on buses in Munich (as well as Zurich). Typically it is only on very small aircraft (prop or regional jet) and they don't have very many stairs. i would not be worried about it.

Munich is a very efficient airport, excellent for making connections.

I have been on buses in Munich (as well as Zurich). Typically it is only on very small aircraft (prop or regional jet) and they don't have very many stairs. i would not be worried about it.

Munich is a very efficient airport, excellent for making connections.

Totally agree. I've been thru Munich a half dozen times and my DH more than he can count (for a while 2 round trips a month) and it is our preferred European transfer point (anything to avoid Frankfurt and Heathrow).