Wifi on the Getaway

spethstation

Hey all! First time cruiser here :D

I am going on the Getaway on Dec 6th. I read about the wifi on board, but I keep getting conflicting information (need to download an app, buy internet package, etc.)

I just want to know:

1) Is there wifi on board?

and

2) Is it free?

I plan to use What's App to stay in touch with my family while I'm away (my father is really ill and want to be able to reach them) and am hoping this is possible without forking over a bunch of $$.

Thanks!

There is Wifi on board and no it is not free. Unless you chose it as one of your perks when booking.

The Wifi signal is intermittent at best. I bought the unlimited package (179 dollars if you buy in advance).

Noone could connect at all on the Saturday we sailed. Finally on Sunday morning it began to work but was PAINFULLY slow.

There was some improvement as the week went on but it was hit and miss. At times I could get a decent signal, other times I just gave up.

The Internet manager was pretty much useless.

Depending on your cell phone carrier - they now offer international plans. I have ATT so I plan on getting one of the plans they offer which is unlimited texting, certain amount of data and i think 50 cents per minute if you call. Maybe its worth checking out if your carrier has such plans?

I just want to know:

1) Is there wifi on board?

2) Is it free?

There is wifi on the Getaway. It is not free and you pay by the minute for the time you are connected to the wifi.

Unlimited wifi $29.99 per day (must buy for all days of cruise)

Time Plan (100 minutes) $75.00

Time Plan (250 minutes) $125.00

Contrary to a post, AT&T does not offer a plan that covers NCL ships.

You do not need any applications. Just connect to the ship's wifi like you would do at home. You need to login and logout every time you use the service (if you do not purchase an unlimited plan).

The ship uses satellite communications. It is o.k. to send and receive email (so long as there are no large pictures or video files). It is o.k. to send/receive iMessage texts (which are internet based) from Apple iPhones and iPads.

It is marginal for surfing the web. Every command you enter has to go 22,000 miles up to the satellite and back resulting in latency.

it is NOT good for facetime, skype, downloading books/videos, or any other large bandwidth applications.

We always buy a single unlimited plan and share it between our 4 phones and 2 ipads.

There is wifi on the Getaway. It is not free and you pay by the minute for the time you are connected to the wifi.

Unlimited wifi $29.99 per day (must buy for all days of cruise)

Time Plan (100 minutes) $75.00

Time Plan (250 minutes) $125.00

Contrary to a post, AT&T does not offer a plan that covers NCL ships.

You do not need any applications. Just connect to the ship's wifi like you would do at home. You need to login and logout every time you use the service (if you do not purchase an unlimited plan).

The ship uses satellite communications. It is o.k. to send and receive email (so long as there are no large pictures or video files). It is o.k. to send/receive iMessage texts (which are internet based) from Apple iPhones and iPads.

It is marginal for surfing the web. Every command you enter has to go 22,000 miles up to the satellite and back resulting in latency.

it is NOT good for facetime, skype, downloading books/videos, or any other large bandwidth applications.

We always buy a single unlimited plan and share it between our 4 phones and 2 ipads.

You're correct, ATT does not cover NCL - however, it does cover all the places being visited. You will not be able to use your phone on sea days, but can use it once on land.

When you all share a single plan, can multiple devices log on at the same time?

No, only one device can be logged in at the time. (Unless you have a device to share the connection like a HooToo brand router.)

• 3 weeks later...
You're correct, ATT does not cover NCL - however, it does cover all the places being visited. You will not be able to use your phone on sea days, but can use it once on land.

Do you remember who you spoke with at AT&T? I need to call back because I was told the plan would only cover Bahamas and Grand Cayman, not Jamaica or Cozumel. $30 for two ports, hmmm....

AT&T does show that they subscribe to the "cellular at sea" with NCL. With that they show the same rates as Verizon, $2.50 a minute for calls. However, we've found that the text plan is associated with it the best way to communicate at minimum expense. That is .50c for each text sent and .05c for each received, SMS only.