Immunisations

Fish66

The difficulty is that there are bad possible side effects from some vaccinations (I don't mean the normal childhood ones). The Yellow Fever vaccine is a nasty one and I don't see any point in having the vaccination if I don't need it.

I did a cruise up the Orinoco River in Venezuela so got the Yellow Fever vaccination and had a bad side effect which resulted in having to have my spleen removed - so I would not recommend anyone just blindly having vaccinations done without a proper consultation regarding your own medical history.

I did a cruise up the Orinoco River in Venezuela so got the Yellow Fever vaccination and had a bad side effect which resulted in having to have my spleen removed - so I would not recommend anyone just blindly having vaccinations done without a proper consultation regarding your own medical history.

Obviously no-one knows ahead of time if they will have an unpleasant side effect of the YF vaccination. I am sorry to hear that you did. :( You had to have the vaccination and I would have also if I was going where you were. Where we have gone (circumnavigate South America and land tour that did not include the Amazon or Orinoco rivers and various parts of Africa) we did not need it. Therefore I did not want to take the risk.

Everyone has to make their own decision. The reason I made the comment earlier about our reasons for not having it is to encourage people to investigate the matter and not just rush into having the shot.

Obviously no-one knows ahead of time if they will have an unpleasant side effect of the YF vaccination. I am sorry to hear that you did. :( You had to have the vaccination and I would have also if I was going where you were. Where we have gone (circumnavigate South America and land tour that did not include the Amazon or Orinoco rivers and various parts of Africa) we did not need it. Therefore I did not want to take the risk.

Everyone has to make their own decision. The reason I made the comment earlier about our reasons for not having it is to encourage people to investigate the matter and not just rush into having the shot.

I'm having the FLU needle

Hardly rushing into anything

I'm having the FLU needle

Hardly rushing into anything

Having a flu vaccination is wise. We have had one every year since 1988. :) Princess considers the flu shot is necessary: every crew member and entertainer must have it. If they cannot show proof that they have had the most recent vaccine, they have to have it again. I do not know what the other cruise lines do.

Fish66 as you are only going to NZ you would not require any immunisations other than what you would have routinely in Australia. Information posted on this site, although helpful to other CCs who my be travelling to Central & South America and Africa, has slightly drifted away from you initial request. With all medical related questions, when in doubt, you should check with your GP.

Edited by happysnapper

Fish66 as you are only going to NZ you would not require any immunisations other than what you would have routinely in Australia. Information posted on this site, although helpful to other CCs who my be travelling to Central & South America and Africa, has slightly drifted away from you initial request. With all medical related questions, when in doubt, you should check with your GP.

Yeah I know

Thanks

I'd hate to get sick on the cruise

So I'm not taking chances

Just working out

How long before the cruise should I get the needle

The flu jab generally works for the winter season, it doesn't necessarily stop you from getting sick but will lessen how sick (Cold vs Flu) and the length of time you are sick (days vs weeks). If you are cruising this summer than perhaps getting a jab is not needed. The new vaccine is normally available around March.

The flu jab generally works for the winter season, it doesn't necessarily stop you from getting sick but will lessen how sick (Cold vs Flu) and the length of time you are sick (days vs weeks). If you are cruising this summer than perhaps getting a jab is not needed. The new vaccine is normally available around March.

I agree with your comments. Also, in summer it is unlikely that another passenger will bring the flu on board with them. :)

I usually take several precautions, I take a Horseradish and Garlic tablet every day (it has Vitamin C as well) and I avoid the buffet when cruising. I also will move if someone is coughing (wet sounding) near me in the theatre, etc. and I constantly wash my hands and not just after using the toilet, but any time I see an opportunity trying to adhere to these things mean I have been lucky and avoided any flus, viruses and coughs that many succumb to on cruises due to the confined areas and the air conditioned areas.:D

I did noticed on our last couple of Princess cruises that the outer doors of the "rest rooms" where chocked open. Good idea as it is still obvious some people still do not wash their hands before they leave thus contaminating the door handles.:eek:

I did noticed on our last couple of Princess cruises that the outer doors of the "rest rooms" where chocked open. Good idea as it is still obvious some people still do not wash their hands before they leave thus contaminating the door handles.:eek:

Noticed the same on Diamond.

I have never needed Imodium in the past and would think that if anyone did, they would seek medical help and/or stay confined to quarters for several days rather than spreading it around.

Mrs G had a cold and quarantined herself for a few days.

1. she didn't want to spread it

2. She didn't want to risk picking up anything worse while her immune system was down.

Mrs G had a cold and quarantined herself for a few days.

1. she didn't want to spread it

2. She didn't want to risk picking up anything worse while her immune system was down.

That was the sensible thing to do but you would know that a lot of people do not care if they are sick and will continue to mix in public and spread their diseases around.

Not sure that is a good idea as when the ones that do not wash leave their germs are spread even further. I like X's solution by having a person in or near the toilets that watch people to make sure they wash their hands. It certainly saves me telling them to do it, as I don't care and will shame them.