Walking Distance ship to taxi/tour?

Snit13

How far is the walk from where we exit ship to where taxi/tours will be lined up? We will be on The Constellation in port Feb. 20 from 8am to 5pm. Would like to book a tour or hire a taxi to tour the island but have walking issues following hip surgery. How great is the distance?

Thanks

Sorry, we haven't been into Road Town to see the updated cruise pier and can't help you. But that's a nice day for Tortola, and you will fins several drivers at the port offering inexpensive tours. Someone else recently there should be able to help you with the walking distance question....

Sorry, we haven't been into Road Town to see the updated cruise pier and can't help you. But that's a nice day for Tortola, and you will fins several drivers at the port offering inexpensive tours. Someone else recently there should be able to help you with the walking distance question....

Thank you. Hopefully someone will be able to advise me as if it is a long walk from ship to where taxi's/tours are, we won't be able to get off the ship if it is to far for me to walk.

Hopefully, someone who has been to the new updated pier will be able to help you.

Have you at least considered an excursion through the ship?

Yes, I have considered ship excursion but still have to be able to walk from ship to location of taxi/tour. On 2 previous cruises someone had to bring me back to ship in wheelchair. Had spine surgery in June and L hip replacement surgery in October but would be able to do a tour if I can get from ship to tour. In Key West they have trolley to take you and I believe maybe in St. Thomas too. I have been told on boards that in St. Croix they have vans to take you from ship exit to street. Hope I am walking better in February.

Thanks for your reply.

Grace

I'm really surprised that support for folks requiring aid in transferring between the ship and port transportation isn't readily available, either from the cruise line or the individual ports. I always assumed that support was available just by requesting it through the purser's desk but that's not the case?

I'm really surprised that support for folks requiring aid in transferring between the ship and port transportation isn't readily available, either from the cruise line or the individual ports. I always assumed that support was available just by requesting it through the purser's desk but that's not the case?

I know you can arrange wheel chair to embark and disembark but you are to bring your own if needed on ship as they have limited supply on board. There seem to be a number of cruisers on our Constellation cruise with hip/back issues. Really would love to see the island as I have been told it is one of the best in the Caribbean and we have been to most.

• 1 year later...

I walk slowly with a cane. I took a ship's excursion. They walked us down from deck 4 and two blocks to where the bus was parked. By the time I got to the bus, every seat was taken except one row facing backwards. So now I take my chances with tours that meet at the port.

Yes Tortola is a beautiful island to see and I really hope you are able to do that.

We take land-based vacations there and our last cruise was before the pier area was updated. At that time it wasn't too far from the gangway to the taxis but I just don't know now...

I can say if you arrive and feel ok with the walk (if there are no shuttles or aides at the dock) you shouldn't have a problem finding a driver offering a nice tour.

Good luck!

[EDIT] Sorry, I see this thread is a year old.

Grace were you able to see Tortola?

Edited by blue_water