Princess Snorkeling Excursions

BlackJack2

Princess offers two Belize City snorkeling excursions:

~ Sergeant’s Caye Snorkeling Adventure Excursion

~ Barrier Reef Snorkeling by Boat Excursion

Can anyone tell me about either excursion? Trying to decide which one is better.

Thanks!

Also interested in anyone's opinion who has been on either of these. We are taking the CB in November 2016 and have already eyed these two choices. The picture alone attracted me to the Caye, but would like some thoughts by any who have done them.

Don

Princess offers two Belize City snorkeling excursions:

~ Sergeant’s Caye Snorkeling Adventure Excursion

~ Barrier Reef Snorkeling by Boat Excursion

Can anyone tell me about either excursion? Trying to decide which one is better.

Thanks!

Back to the question you asked.....I took the Sergeant's Caye Snorkeling Adventure Excursion in January 2013 while on the Crown. Here's what I posted in my review of the cruise:

Day 5 - Awoke to a cloudy and raining day in Belize. Breakfast buffet today, then met our Sergeant’s Caye excursion group at 11:40. The Power Boat Snorkel tour was cancelled due to visibility issues, but ours was still a go. They picked us up right at the ship, and we walked by a BIG line of people waiting to tender. It poured rain on us all the way to the snorkel site, but then it let up and the sun peeked out a little. The snorkeling was great though and we saw a bunch of fish, coral, and even a nurse shark. The temp was fine in the water, but it was a cool ride back to the ship around 4pm.

Here's what I remember about it almost three years later: It was nice to be picked up at the ship and immediately be on the excursion, and not have to tender to shore and THEN go on the excursion like most of the other offerings. The day we were there wasn't ideal weather, but at least we still got to go....the other snorkel trip was cancelled. I figured once we got in the water, what difference does it make if it's raining....we're already wet:) But the sun did come out and the guides were very good at pointing out the nurse shark and other marine life. You also make a bathroom stop at the excursion company's headquarters, and they have some marine exhibits and a small snack bar if memory serves. The snorkel boat wasn't packed with people and the amount of people on the excursion was reasonable....we weren't packed on like sardines.

I would do the excursion again when looking to snorkel in Belize. We also took a fun excursion a few years earlier that picked us up right at the ship, then a river tour, then a jeep tour in the jungle, followed by some cave exploring. That was one of the best tours we've ever done, anywhere, but I don't think Princess offers it anymore.

Good luck in your planning:)

Edited by Paula_MacFan

Here's the company that we used when we did the excursion, and the info from their website (I assume Princess is still using the same vendor):

http://www.belizeadventurelodge.com/tours_activities.html

Hugh Parkey's Belize Adventure Lodge - Your private island & adventure center

Barrier Reef Snorkeling

Snorkeling over corals on the Belize Barrier Reef.

Hover over Majestic Corals!

Don't miss half the reason to come to Belize!

Rest easily on the surface, floating on a crystal sea. Or, dip under and glide over the coral landscape, returning to the surface and clearing your snorkel with a puff of air. Snorkeling is fun, easy, and the key to exploring a coral reef, the most intricate, prolific and diverse ecosystem on our entire planet.

Below, in only 8 feet of water, a parrot fish grazes on coral. An angelfish glides by. A stingray lies on the bottom, partially covered in sand. Schools of rainbow- hued snappers, grunts and wrasses meander through a forest of swaying sea fans. The reef is bisected by lanes of sugar-white sand forming trails to follow through the maze of marine life.

The destination is a majestic, shallow coral reef behind wind-protected Sergeant's Caye, part of the famed Belize Barrier Reef. Our modern custom built snorkel boat provides comfort and safety. Friendly guides, experts in marine life, carry floats that can be used as a rest station. A guide also patrols the area on a kayak for additional assistance. Each guest is outfitted with premier quality mask, fins, snorkel and a neoprene inflatable snorkel vest. Fresh fruits, juice and purified water are available throughout the tour.