Does anyone have experience of the boarding arrangements at Valparaiso ?

ausethanol

Has anybody had any experience of boarding a large ship (especially Cunard) in Valparaiso?

When we boarded the Queen Mary 2 in Cape Town in 2014 for the journey back to Brisbane, the boarding was a complete "balls up" !! We are hoping that it will be better in Valparaiso for boarding Queen Mary 2 on 17th February 2016 !!??

The boarding check-in at Cape Town was at a convention centre some distance from the port, and Cunard were completely un-prepared for the process. When we arrived at the Convention Centre no preparation had been made to move suitcases, and we were told just to put them with the rest, with no receipt or paperwork, and there were thousands of suitcases spreading well out into the road outside - not smart or comforting given the crime statistics in South Africa !! Inside, the check-in was quick, but the Cunard personnel who had flown down from London to handle the check-in had no idea what they were doing and had made no proper plans. When we got there, more than 800 people were waiting for hours to get a bus to take them to the ship, and the Cunard agents with Cunard employees directing, had booked buses that were too long to come into the Convention Centre area to pick up the passengers! It took us over 5 hours from the time we checked in until we arrived at the ship – mostly because of the lack of transport.

Apparently the previous 2 times that the Queen Mary 2 came into Cape Town there were similar delays and incompetence (as confirmed by cruise critic blog members).

When we boarded the ship, I made a complaint, seeing the operations manager, who in succession denied that there had been a problem, and then suggested if there had been a problem "it wasn't their fault". Clearly many other people complain bitterly and 2 days into the cruise, the captain made an apology to all passengers for the poor treatment during the boarding at Cape Town during his daily broadcast.

We thoroughly enjoyed the time on the Queen Mary 2 travelling I believe for 24 days from Cape Town through to Brisbane in 2014, but I would like to think that the journey from Valparaiso could begin better than our last voyage.

Is anybody experienced boarding a large ship in Valparaiso, and in particular has anybody boarded a Cunard ship in Valparaiso?

Waiting in hope, ahead of our 17 February 2016 boarding, but in some trepidation for any experiences!

Bill

We were on a B2B that had Valparaiso as the split. There is a large hall you go through that has all kinds of interesting things, including Chilean wine.

Remember, the airport is in Santiago, and it is about an hour and a half drive to Valparaiso.

You go through security in the hall, and all your carry on's will be screened.

We flew into Santiago, boarded a RCCL bus that took 90 minutes to reach Valparaiso, the bus dropped us off at the entrance to the boarding terminal and we were on the ship in less than 15 minutes. We were on Mariner of the Seas which is a fairly large ship. The port itself was very nice and after we dropped of our carry on in the cabin we got off the ship and rode the funicular railway up the mountain. This was several years ago so things may have changed..happy cruising

The terminal building is a shuttle-ride away from the HAL ship, but it was easy and smooth process. The wine we bought was excellent, and I would buy a lot more (as much as I could carry!) if I were doing it again, and pay corkage as required... although Cunard may not charge corkage?

All cruise ports should take a lesson from Valparaiso! FLL and LA/san pedro I'm looking at you.

The terminal building is a shuttle-ride away from the HAL ship, but it was easy and smooth process. The wine we bought was excellent, and I would buy a lot more (as much as I could carry!) if I were doing it again, and pay corkage as required... although Cunard may not charge corkage?

All cruise ports should take a lesson from Valparaiso! FLL and LA/san pedro I'm looking at you.

When we boarded the Crown Princess in Valpariso in 2014, we flew into Santiago, hired a car and driver to take us to a lovely little boutique hotel up on one of the hills in Valpariso for a pre-cruise night stay in a nice little boutique hotel up on one of the hills of Valpo. The next morning he came back and transported us to the pier. We handed our luggage to the porters, got in a short line inside the terminal to check in, had our carry-on luggage scanned, and walked onto the ship. It was all surprisingly simple and speedy.

• 2 weeks later...

Other than making sure you have the exact currency for the visa at the airport and NOT having anything they consider seeds or nuts on you at the airport the rest with Celebrity for the Infinity was a breeze. It is about a 90 minute trip to Valparasio on a modern highway and check in starts about noonish. Muster drills can be rather chilly as it gets cold the second the sun sets so take something warm to your station.

Chilean border police dogs are trained to sniff out everything from trail mix and dry roasted almonds to flower bulbs and all cost you a $800 fine. Check in at the port itself was a breeze.