Disney "Rules" irrelevant

moki'smommy

I am pretty sure that with dining attire Disney has "suggested" attire for the dining rooms but it is not mandatory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Given the quality of the Disney food in the rotational dining rooms, I would guess farmers overalls would be appropriate! LOL

Edited by e2011

I took a 7 night cruise last week on another line' date=' and have been reading thru posts here. I've come to the conclusion that people who cruise on DCL have a mindset of "how can I slide the rules" or "this doesn't apply to me" while guests on at least one other line are much more in step with the policies. Of course the fact that the other line actually enforces their policies while DCL seems willing to negotiate everything but price obviously plays a part.

Examples:

Formal night attire--other line, we knew in advance that if we did not "dress up," we would be asked to eat elsewhere or go change. NO, formal wear was not required, but something dressy was. On DCL, ripped jeans are fine.

Normal night attire--other line the phrase was "smart casual" which was further defined as "what you might wear to a nice restaurant at home. No shorts will be permitted." This was enforced. If you didn't want to dress, you were invited to eat elsewhere.

On DCL boards, the posts are "can I wear board shorts?" (swimsuit) Can I wear a swimsuit with a see thru cover up?

Other line--NO moving up of kids. Siblings can move DOWN to be together. DCL--most age guidelines are flexible if you talk to the right CM and make your case in a way that appeals to them.

Other line--adult only areas means people 18 and older only. Period. End of discussion. DCL--walking/running/skating thru adult only areas is fine regardless of age. Coming in to "just talk to mom" for a "minute" is OK too. Oh yeah, DCL policy is "no heelies," but that's not enforced either.

Not sure what my point is here, but I find the different mindset interesting. And I wonder why rules are made and signs/notices are posted if they are all "flexible."[/quote']

We went on Princess and I loved the fact they enforced the dress code! However these issues on cruise ships are indicative of our society as a whole. Most of the populous in the US feels entitled. Ronald Regan once said America is 200 million special interest groups. Now its 300 million +.

We went on Princess and I loved the fact they enforced the dress code! However these issues on cruise ships are indicative of our society as a whole. Most of the populous in the US feels entitled. Ronald Regan once said America is 200 million special interest groups. Now its 300 million +.

Exactly. This sounds like the overwhelming sense of entitlement permeating our culture. I'm sure it happens on every line but on Disney, where guests are paying the big bucks, it could be even worse..

I agree with this. The entire culture of North America and even much of Europe has become more and more casual through the decades. I recall as a youngster I wasn't even allowed to wear pants to school. On "gym day" we all carried pants in our book bag to pull on under our dress and then remove as soon as gym class was over. I don't believe I wore pants to school until I was in junior high, and even then they were slacks, certainly not jeans.

We went to a party last night at our country club--most people wore "Country Club Casual"--slacks and a button down shirt for men (jackets were quickly removed as it was far too warm for them) and ladies were in casual cocktail. A few ladies were in gowns, a couple guys wore a suit and tie.

But a few slipped in wearing jeans, Hawaiian shirts and shorts, just really under dressed. Did it ruin my evening? No, but it looked out of place and definitely downgraded the ambiance.

Had this been 20 years ago we wouldn't have seen jeans or shorts. 40 years ago ladies would have worn cocktail dresses and gloves and all men would have worn a tie. People followed the adage "the clothes make the man." I believe that people were more gracious to each other as well.

One of the things we like about Windstar is the dress code of elegant casual, which means slacks (not jeans) and collared shirt for men and slacks or skirt and top or dress for ladies all night every night. People follow the dress code and don't need to be reminded or turned away. It sets a tone for the entire cruise of relaxed sophistication that is very enjoyable.

Exactly. This sounds like the overwhelming sense of entitlement permeating our culture. I'm sure it happens on every line but on Disney, where guests are paying the big bucks, it could be even worse..

They think they are paying big bucks, but the reality is that it isn't a luxury line. I have cruised on two luxury lines and people abided by the dress code with no prodding or questions. They just did so because it was expected, and in most cases just the way they would normally dress anyhow.

I took a 7 night cruise last week on another line' date=' and have been reading thru posts here. I've come to the conclusion that people who cruise on DCL have a mindset of "how can I slide the rules" or "this doesn't apply to me" while guests on at least one other line are much more in step with the policies. Of course the fact that the other line actually enforces their policies while DCL seems willing to negotiate everything but price obviously plays a part.

Examples:

Formal night attire--other line, we knew in advance that if we did not "dress up," we would be asked to eat elsewhere or go change. NO, formal wear was not required, but something dressy was. On DCL, ripped jeans are fine.

Normal night attire--other line the phrase was "smart casual" which was further defined as "what you might wear to a nice restaurant at home. No shorts will be permitted." This was enforced. If you didn't want to dress, you were invited to eat elsewhere.

On DCL boards, the posts are "can I wear board shorts?" (swimsuit) Can I wear a swimsuit with a see thru cover up?

Other line--NO moving up of kids. Siblings can move DOWN to be together. DCL--most age guidelines are flexible if you talk to the right CM and make your case in a way that appeals to them.

Other line--adult only areas means people 18 and older only. Period. End of discussion. DCL--walking/running/skating thru adult only areas is fine regardless of age. Coming in to "just talk to mom" for a "minute" is OK too. Oh yeah, DCL policy is "no heelies," but that's not enforced either.

Not sure what my point is here, but I find the different mindset interesting. And I wonder why rules are made and signs/notices are posted if they are all "flexible."[/quote']

Disney's formal nights are optional so if you don't dress up what rules are you breaking?

Disney's policy is to allow kids to age up if there is room available, and parents sign a waiver. Again what rule is not being followed? That is DCL's policy to allow ageing up.

Because of the poor design of the Dream and Fantasy it's almost necessary to walk through adult areas to get to forward staterooms. I've never seen any kids hanging out in the Adult area.

If I decide to wear shorts to MDR. I'm not breaking any rules. Shorts are allowed. If you don't like it cruise another line. Like I said no rules being broken.

If you don't like DCL's rules and policy's than cruise a line that has rules that you like.

I personally could care less what other people do or wear. I can't imagine spending my vacation concerning myself with how others dress or how old someone's kid is that is in one of kid's club. One of the reason's we continue to sail on Disney is the casual dress codes, and the age breakdown for the clubs.

Edited by sm3ds

Disney's formal nights are optional so if you don't dress up what rules are you breaking?

Disney's policy is to allow kids to age up if there is room available, and parents sign a waiver. Again what rule is not being followed? That is DCL's policy to allow ageing up.

Because of the poor design of the Dream and Fantasy it's almost necessary to walk through adult areas to get to forward staterooms. I've never seen any kids hanging out in the Adult area.

If I decide to wear shorts to MDR. I'm not breaking any rules. Shorts are allowed. If you don't like it cruise another line. Like I said no rules being broken.

If you don't like DCL's rules and policy's than cruise a line that has rules that you like.

I personally could care less what other people do or wear. I can't imagine spending my vacation concerning myself with how others dress or how old someone's kid is that is in one of kid's club. One of the reason's we continue to sail on Disney is the casual dress codes, and the age breakdown for the clubs.

Very true. There are many cruise lines from which one can choose.

Edited by e2011

I don't know your cruising history with DCL and how far back it goes, but I think you may be looking at Moki'smommy's post from a different view point or misunderstanding it.

I *think* Moki'smommy was pointing out how many previous rules on DCL have not been enforced all the time and have been relaxed due to Guests having a "It's my vacation, I paid a lot for this cruise" attitude, along with being ignorant of the requests made regarding dining attire in the MDR's.

Previously, and not so long ago (Aug, 2013) I believe was when shorts were permitted in the MDR's. Mostly due to non adherence, and attitude towards the CM's when Guests were asked to change. Disney always tries to be non confrontational, but some Guests were screaming and shouting at CM's if asked to change.

Also writing letters of complaint, along with the complaint that with air fair's rising they can't afford the $50 baggage fee for an extra bag despite spending thousands of $$$ on a cruise, so really, it's I don't want to pay.

I believe Formal Nights have always been optional, but some Guests do really drag the atmosphere down as low as really possible with as mentioned ripped jeans, scruffy t shirts ball caps and the like.

Whilst you may no find that a problem, many people do if they are seated either with, or next to others who are, whilst they and the waiters are dressed in very nice dressy clothes.

I won't debate that, so please don't bother either as it is flogging a dead horse.

Regarding aging up, again, just another example of Guests demanding, screaming, shouting, having adult meltdowns, and even trying to bribe YAC CM's!

If you don't believe me, here is a link to a thread on the DIS:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/why-does-everyone-want-their-kids-to-move-up.3472539/

You said:

I can't imagine spending my vacation concerning myself with how others dress or how old someone's kid is that is in one of kid's club

I do wonder if you would feel differently if one of the spaces designated for your child was invaded by younger children aging up, and it was detrimental to your child's enjoyment of that space. If they then thought it was full of young kids and babyish because so many younger kids were in there that they did not enjoy it so much?

Because as you can read in the link, that is what a lot of the protestors there think about their child's experience with non separated Club and Lab spaces.

What are your thoughts?

The point I think Moki'smommy was trying to make was Princess seem to have held fairly steadfast in their rules, and enforcement to maintain a certain level of atmosphere and attitude towards the lines rules.

DCL have changed their rules several times in some cases trying to suit and please everyone, and still ended up in a situation where not everyone is happy> Some Guests want even more, DCL's original requests are long gone, and neither party is particularly happy.

Those changes have also been over a period of time that I've seen and known, whilst Moki'smommy and other have cruised on DCL for a lot longer than I have known the company, and once upon a time they very much valued their repeat cruisers and it would seem not so much anymore and they are looking to get new cruisers and only get a couple of cruises out of them before moving onto new clientele.

So I wonder, if they had known then the direction the company would take in the future of "there's always someone else to fill your Stateroom attitude", if they would have relaxed so many of those rules or requests over the years from the atmosphere, tradition, standards and what they believed to be the best programming options with separate age group cut off and no aging up, they obviously wanted?

ex techie

The Link to the DIS is from a YAC CM asking why?

Edited by Ex techie
To add

You are correct that ALL clothing suggestions on DCL are optional...so why bother to call something "formal night?" No, other people's clothing doesn't bother me. Perhaps it is the fact that the same people who seem to flaunt the "suggested attire" are the ones who (on at least one of my cruises) were drunk, disorderly, and abusive toward the server. Maybe the clothes make the man...

As to kids moving up, yes, that one DOES matter. The problem is that when younger kids are allowed to move into an older program, the older kids respond negatively. They don't want to go to the programming any more because it has become a "baby program." That means that the older kids are out running around the ship unsupervised and sometimes causing issues. I've seen kids trashing/stealing from host's carts, trashing hallways, and stealing from fish extenders. Yes, I've called them out on this and reported it. The obvious problem is that by the time security gets there, the perpetrators are long gone. I've also had a host thank me for my dealing with the offenders--seems there was more going on than I'd seen, but the host felt he wasn't permitted to do anything.

You are right that DCL poorly designed the newer ships to that the forward cabins essentially feed into the adult area. The kids could avoid it with a little effort, but neither the line nor the parents choose to put forth that effort. DCL has always advertised "adult only" spaces, but has not chosen to enforce these. Does a kid quietly walking thru the adult area bother me? Not really. Does the kid screaming across the open deck to his family or being dragged thru by his parents while he's having a temper tantrum bother me? Yes, because it interferes with my quiet enjoyment of the space. How about the little urchin on his "heelie" shoes who slams into me and spills my beverage while I'm sitting in the Cove area reading? Oh yeah, those shoes WERE (maybe still are) on the list of "not allowed" things and that kid was in an adult only space. But I can't detain the kid, I can't identify the kid, I can't report him to his absent parents. I just get to treat my bruise, launder my clothes, and get a new beverage (at least it was tea.)

You are right--I've moved on to another line. There are many things I like about DCL. But the way things are now, they may as well put a sign at the entrance that reads "Anything we say is a suggestion, not a rule or policy. Do anything you'd like on this ship" because that's the way they run the business. And they don't want to interfere with your enjoyment of your overpriced vacation. Just don't bring on board a piece of plastic or rubber that might resemble a weapon.

Techie called it correctly.

Edited by moki'smommy

Very true. There are many cruise lines from which one can choose.

I agree there are, but posts that just tell someone

when that person has cruised that line since it's maiden voyage and are offering a comparison of before and now are indicative of a certain kind of attitude. One that is all about themselves.

Telling someone to go cruise another line if you don't like it is very indicative of an well I'm OK attitude and screw you and what you loved or liked about something.

A bit like the Guests mentioned in my post above.

The ones who scream the loudest, cause the most fuss, verbally abuse the CM's, write the letters and send the emails. You know. The ones that rules don't apply to. The dare I say "Entitled" ones?

The ones that don't like the rules, either ignore them or try to find loop holes?

Are these clubs close together? So they check her birth date? She will be weeks away from 3.
and my 13 yr old will be 3 months shy of 14. She enjoyed the Edge on our last Fantasy cruise, but really wanted to experience the Vibe this cruise. What are the chances of her being allowed in, as she is very close to 14 and her sister will be in there? She is very mature for her age.
15 yo move down to Lab?

My 15 year old daughter has no interest in Vibe or Edge. The science, cooking, etc activities in the Lab appeal more to her tastes.

Read how many helicopter parents want their "nearly" 14 year old child to age up into Vibe to be with up to 17 yr olds?

They are so desperate to have the highest achieving, most mature 13 going on 20 year old child in the US it is kind of sickening. They are pushing their children into situations and environments that socially would not happen on land, so they feel better about their parenting. Not for the good and wellbeing of their child at all. Just to feel they are superior to other mom's and dad's.

Or even trying to put a 15 yr old in the Lab?!

But I digress.

DCL is changing in many ways.

Some for the better, some or a lot for the worst IMO.

But they cannot allow Guests to dictate policy each and everytime they do not like something.

And finally, after a very unfortunate incident reportedly, when pushy parents got involved from the Autism on the Sea's organization sailed and either persuaded or pushed that their over 18 year old autistic son, wearing a AOTS Staff shirt should oversee other AOTS cruisers alleged stalked a young lady in Vibe.

Then the lawyers got involved.

Thats why they now have little wiggle room for aging up or down, and only do so when they can adequately monitor the maturity level of that individual closely.

Other cruise lines are available. Yes.

Are they ones you want to cruise on though?

Moki'smommy seems to have found one that suits her and her party's needs now.

But that doesn't stop them being able to voice an opinion or comparison of the differences in company attitude or changes?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

All lines have their issues with permissiveness, partly because the staff derives so much income from tips and reviews they are very reluctant to engage, and its rare that upper staff backs them up.

That said, Disney and Carnival seem to be the biggest offenders currently in this area, based on multiple accounts.

Princess' biggest compliance issue is one Disney doesn't have, with their dining system. Those people who select traditional set dining are not supposed to use the anytime dining rooms without prior permission (to be fair to both their tablemates in TD and the people waiting for a seat in AD) and the headwaiters are notorious for lack of enforcement. Chair hogs are the other big issue there. In contrast however, things like Kids clubs ages are fairly locked and while they don't enforce full formal on formal nights, they will ask those in clear disdain to consider the buffet.

All lines have their issues with permissiveness, partly because the staff derives so much income from tips and reviews they are very reluctant to engage, and its rare that upper staff backs them up.

That said, Disney and Carnival seem to be the biggest offenders currently in this area, based on multiple accounts.

Princess' biggest compliance issue is one Disney doesn't have, with their dining system. Those people who select traditional set dining are not supposed to use the anytime dining rooms without prior permission (to be fair to both their tablemates in TD and the people waiting for a seat in AD) and the headwaiters are notorious for lack of enforcement. Chair hogs are the other big issue there. In contrast however, things like Kids clubs ages are fairly locked and while they don't enforce full formal on formal nights, they will ask those in clear disdain to consider the buffet.

Loonbeam,

What is your own experience of Guests on Princess that do not follow the dress code rules for the MDR's on a regular night, or those in disdain on a formal night that refuse to eat at the buffet?

Are they refused service, or does Princess allow them to eat.

ex techie

Loonbeam,

What is your own experience of Guests on Princess that do not follow the dress code rules for the MDR's on a regular night, or those in disdain on a formal night that refuse to eat at the buffet?

Are they refused service, or does Princess allow them to eat.

ex techie

My experience on formal night was that if you made an effort to dress up, you were welcomed into the MDR. There was a maitre'd at the door doing a sort of wardrobe check. We did see him mention to one couple that this was formal night (this was a jeans and t-shirt type). No argument, they just went elsewhere. There is free food available at the buffet, the International Cafe, and room service as well as the pizza, hamburger, etc. outlets; the $25 upcharge steakhouse is also casual. I wore a sparkly top and draping sort of pants on both formal nights. The gentleman at the next table wore a suit jacket. His wife wore some sort of polyester top shot thru with sparkly stuff. I didn't see anyone really dressed formally...just sort of "make an effort at dressing up."

On normal nights, the dress code is "smart casual" which is further defined as "what you would wear to a nice restaurant." Again, I didn't see jeans and t-shirts, but I didn't see people really dressed up either. Most women wore a nice blouse and slacks, most men wore a collared polo type shirt. There were some guys who wore a tie every night (why?) I didn't see anyone turned away; just no one pushed the envelope.

I also did not notice ANY inappropriate behavior from adults or children. There was alcohol being served but no one was obnoxiously drunk (as I've seen on DCL). And it was infinitely more quiet than on DCL. This might have been due to the lower ceilings, there might have been noise absorbing materials in the wall coverings or whatever. There were kids. There were children's menus. And there were parents supervising kids and enforcing appropriate "nice restaurant" behavior. There were no kids seated at tables without adults, no kids running around the restaurant, no food fights or intentionally dropping food onto the floors, etc. The kids were decently dressed--basically something like khaki pants and a shirt or a cute little dress. Nothing really dressy, but not what you might wear to McDonald's either.

Hope this answered some of your questions.

Edited by moki'smommy

Yes Moki'smommy,

I does some of them.

From your experience it does appear that the parents were more willing, able or advised to follow the set guidelines or recommendations more strictly.

Also to parent their children as well and not allow them to run amok.

I personally do like Princess' description of "what you would wear to a nice restaurant." for those uninformed or ignorant of what the cruise line requests for attire.

It is still open to suggestion from some, but I think it is a good steer in the right direction and "heads up" to those that might wear their beach wear to dinner, or think that cruise casual is the same as some wear in a McDonalds. PJ's, sweats and the like.

Love to hear other Princess experiences from others as well!

Good and Bad.

ex techie

I don't know your cruising history with DCL and how far back it goes, but I think you may be looking at Moki'smommy's post from a different view point or misunderstanding it.

I *think* Moki'smommy was pointing out how many previous rules on DCL have not been enforced all the time and have been relaxed due to Guests having a "It's my vacation, I paid a lot for this cruise" attitude, along with being ignorant of the requests made regarding dining attire in the MDR's.

Previously, and not so long ago (Aug, 2013) I believe was when shorts were permitted in the MDR's. Mostly due to non adherence, and attitude towards the CM's when Guests were asked to change. Disney always tries to be non confrontational, but some Guests were screaming and shouting at CM's if asked to change.

Also writing letters of complaint, along with the complaint that with air fair's rising they can't afford the $50 baggage fee for an extra bag despite spending thousands of $$$ on a cruise, so really, it's I don't want to pay.

I believe Formal Nights have always been optional, but some Guests do really drag the atmosphere down as low as really possible with as mentioned ripped jeans, scruffy t shirts ball caps and the like.

Whilst you may no find that a problem, many people do if they are seated either with, or next to others who are, whilst they and the waiters are dressed in very nice dressy clothes.

I won't debate that, so please don't bother either as it is flogging a dead horse.

Regarding aging up, again, just another example of Guests demanding, screaming, shouting, having adult meltdowns, and even trying to bribe YAC CM's!

If you don't believe me, here is a link to a thread on the DIS:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/why-does-everyone-want-their-kids-to-move-up.3472539/

You said:

I do wonder if you would feel differently if one of the spaces designated for your child was invaded by younger children aging up, and it was detrimental to your child's enjoyment of that space. If they then thought it was full of young kids and babyish because so many younger kids were in there that they did not enjoy it so much?

Because as you can read in the link, that is what a lot of the protestors there think about their child's experience with non separated Club and Lab spaces.

What are your thoughts?

The point I think Moki'smommy was trying to make was Princess seem to have held fairly steadfast in their rules, and enforcement to maintain a certain level of atmosphere and attitude towards the lines rules.

DCL have changed their rules several times in some cases trying to suit and please everyone, and still ended up in a situation where not everyone is happy> Some Guests want even more, DCL's original requests are long gone, and neither party is particularly happy.

Those changes have also been over a period of time that I've seen and known, whilst Moki'smommy and other have cruised on DCL for a lot longer than I have known the company, and once upon a time they very much valued their repeat cruisers and it would seem not so much anymore and they are looking to get new cruisers and only get a couple of cruises out of them before moving onto new clientele.

So I wonder, if they had known then the direction the company would take in the future of "there's always someone else to fill your Stateroom attitude", if they would have relaxed so many of those rules or requests over the years from the atmosphere, tradition, standards and what they believed to be the best programming options with separate age group cut off and no aging up, they obviously wanted?

ex techie

The Link to the DIS is from a YAC CM asking why?

We've benn on 20 dcl cruises.Probably more thsn most people on this board.I dont have a problem with the dress code. My kids have aged up I dont have a problem with that. If what other people do or dont do or what their kids do or dont do ruins a vacation then i feel sorry for them. I just dont have the time to worry about or police other people. I know all about changes on dcl. The only one that bothered me was the alcohol policy, but I can find my way around that one.

Edited by sm3ds

We've benn on 20 dcl cruises.I dont have a problem with the dress code. My kids have aged up I dont have a problem with that. If what other people do or dont do or what their kids do or dont do ruins a vacation then i feel sorry for them. I just dont have the time to worry about or police other people. I know all about changes on dcl. The only one that bothered me was the alcohol policy, but I can find my way around that one.

So you have avoided what I asked of you.

Would YOU have a problem (regardless of if your kids have aged up before) IF OTHER PEOPLES kids aged up and spoilt YOUR KIDS time in the Club/Lab?Edge/Vibe?

Would you have a problem if YOUR kids enjoyment of those paid for spaces were interfered with because younger kids invaded them?

Would that be a problem to YOU?

You don't have to have time to worry about it, just spend 10 seconds, and reply?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
misspelt spoilt

The dress code should be easier to enforce if DCL was more public about what is okay to wear and then give people a list of options if they are not wearing the right clothing. Our first 2 cruises, we didn't bring any formal clothes and we just went to the buffet on that night, but if we didn't know about that, someone telling us at the restaurant entrance would have been fine with us. FTR, our main servers both times told us the next day that we didn't have to dress up and we could have come to the MDR without formal clothes. So, I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the guests if they are being told by servers that it is okay.

I'll never understand the issues with the kid's clubs. People are on a family vacation and if their kids don't like the clubs, they need to spend time with their kids. The only reason mine ever went to Vibe was because she loved it and kept going there by her choice. I never in a million years would take a family vacation and expect my kid to spend time in a day care environment. No, I would even do Palo or the spa if my kids didn't want to be in the clubs. It seems like most people would, though. And I don't understand why they can't tell their kids to suck it up for 2 hours while they go eat at Palo or whatever.

It makes me curious about the general attitude of people cruising with kids on other lines. Do they also think their kids should be in a day care environment on other cruise ships?

This is in line with my experience. The rule of thumb seems to be for formal night they expect what you would wear to a nice restaurant on a date or nicer, for casual nights its what you would expect to see at a decent restaurant with the family. I have seen nice jeans and clean t-shirts on casual nights be allowed in.

One headwaiter explained his system to me. Something along the lines of 'if I notice it stands out, other people will too, so that's when I usually ask nicely." (This was on our Island cruise which also had the best overall MDR staff I have had on a cruise on any line, from the MD down to the assistant servers)

The difference between Princess and DCL in this respect is that in Princess' case, if asking nicely doesn't work, they will ask more firmly. DCL seems to ask nicely once then shrug and move on.

Every line has its focuses and Princess pays a lot of attention to the MDR experience (at the expense of other areas to be fair).

As far as kids/behavior/etc. I really do think that some parents think because its Disney, they will magically assume all responsibility for their children so they can have a vacation and god help the staff member who interferes with that plan. I've seen this attitude when I used to work in camping (staff used to call those kids 'ballast' where it was obvious they were not there because they wanted to be or their friends were but because their parents didn't want to actually have to pay attention to them for the summer. Seen it at other places too (local amusement park has a HUGE problem with late tweens being dropped off at the gate for the day with an annual pass, $20 and a wave.) Disney doesn't help themselves here by catering to children at excessive levels (like servers cutting their food in the MDR) even though that's part of the justification for their price premium.

Princess, quite honestly treats kids like every other passenger, provides a general program, etc.

Not sure there is a solution to that

My experience on formal night was that if you made an effort to dress up' date=' you were welcomed into the MDR. There was a maitre'd at the door doing a sort of wardrobe check. We did see him mention to one couple that this was formal night (this was a jeans and t-shirt type). No argument, they just went elsewhere. There is free food available at the buffet, the International Cafe, and room service as well as the pizza, hamburger, etc. outlets; the $25 upcharge steakhouse is also casual. I wore a sparkly top and draping sort of pants on both formal nights. The gentleman at the next table wore a suit jacket. His wife wore some sort of polyester top shot thru with sparkly stuff. I didn't see anyone really dressed formally...just sort of "make an effort at dressing up."

On normal nights, the dress code is "smart casual" which is further defined as "what you would wear to a nice restaurant." Again, I didn't see jeans and t-shirts, but I didn't see people really dressed up either. Most women wore a nice blouse and slacks, most men wore a collared polo type shirt. There were some guys who wore a tie every night (why?) I didn't see anyone turned away; just no one pushed the envelope.

I also did not notice ANY inappropriate behavior from adults or children. There was alcohol being served but no one was obnoxiously drunk (as I've seen on DCL). And it was infinitely more quiet than on DCL. This might have been due to the lower ceilings, there might have been noise absorbing materials in the wall coverings or whatever. There were kids. There were children's menus. And there were parents supervising kids and enforcing appropriate "nice restaurant" behavior. There were no kids seated at tables without adults, no kids running around the restaurant, no food fights or intentionally dropping food onto the floors, etc. The kids were decently dressed--basically something like khaki pants and a shirt or a cute little dress. Nothing really dressy, but not what you might wear to McDonald's either.

Hope this answered some of your questions.[/quote']

The dress code should be easier to enforce if DCL was more public about what is okay to wear and then give people a list of options if they are not wearing the right clothing. Our first 2 cruises, we didn't bring any formal clothes and we just went to the buffet on that night, but if we didn't know about that, someone telling us at the restaurant entrance would have been fine with us. FTR, our main servers both times told us the next day that we didn't have to dress up and we could have come to the MDR without formal clothes. So, I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the guests if they are being told by servers that it is okay.

I'll never understand the issues with the kid's clubs. People are on a family vacation and if their kids don't like the clubs, they need to spend time with their kids. The only reason mine ever went to Vibe was because she loved it and kept going there by her choice. I never in a million years would take a family vacation and expect my kid to spend time in a day care environment. No, I would even do Palo or the spa if my kids didn't want to be in the clubs. It seems like most people would, though. And I don't understand why they can't tell their kids to suck it up for 2 hours while they go eat at Palo or whatever.

It makes me curious about the general attitude of people cruising with kids on other lines. Do they also think their kids should be in a day care environment on other cruise ships?

Your attitude mirrors mine. I was on a family vacation. I didn't make a Palo reservation until my daughter's 18th birthday cruise when she could go with me. The trip was FAMILY time. I did have the requirement that she chose 1 activity per day in the programming (these were typically 45 minutes long) so that I could have a little break and she would get the opportunity to see whether she liked the CMs and the kids in the programming on that cruise. If she liked it, fine--she was free to go to as much as she wished. If it didn't "click" that time, she did her one activity. We also made a point of always having family dinner together; if she wanted to be in the programming, we'd reconnect at dinner.

She just shakes her head now at the kids in the adult area by the Cove Cafe and Quiet Cove pool...and commented that she remembers when she "wasn't allowed to walk thru those doors." That's right...the poor baby was emotionally scarred for life by the fact that her mom enforced the "18 and older" rules and made her use the midship elevators rather than the forward elevators to access the pool deck.

What I saw on our last cruise (not DCL) was that parents or grands were with their kids; that they were having a family vacation. There were a few older teens on the ship, but honestly I didn't see them much with or without parents.

When I saw the "under 14" crowd, I was always able to identify a parent nearby. Yes, the ship had a child care program--obviously I couldn't see kids when they were in the programming. But I did see them around the ship with their parents. It seemed a lot more like the way I used to do things on DCL.

Anyone care to compare Royal Caribbean to Disney and/or Princess?

My experience with Princess is generally in line with what's been posted above. I generally like how Princess does things, which is why I keep ending up sailing with them. It's been quite some time since I last paid attention, but the only real battle I remember was saving deck chairs. Since I don't really use the things, I kinda just watched the arguments from afar and with amusement.

If I'm paying Disney prices though for a family vacation, I'm getting as much family time as my kids will put up with. Luckily, they're still at the age where they don't mind hanging with their parents all the time. Still, a lot of people in my neighborhood will make offhand comments about being excited to get away from the kids for whatever reason so I can totally see how some people's idea of a "family" vacation is for everyone to do what they want and not necessarily together. A lot of Disney's ads even seem to encourage this, hinting that they'll be the parent so the parents don't have to be.

So you have avoided what I asked of you.

Would YOU have a problem (regardless of if your kids have aged up before) IF OTHER PEOPLES kids aged up and spoilt YOUR KIDS time in the Club/Lab?Edge/Vibe?

Would you have a problem if YOUR kids enjoyment of those paid for spaces were interfered with because younger kids invaded them?

Would that be a problem to YOU?

You don't have to have time to worry about it, just spend 10 seconds, and reply?

ex techie

I'm sorry but I have been working. I'm a nurse I work 12 hours shifts on the weekends I don't have time to hang out on message boards all day. To answer your question my kids would not have their vacation ruined by a kids aging up. They aged up after all. If they complained about something like that it would be their last vacation. In fact if they complained about anything on a vacation I worked overtime and paid thousands for it would be their last. How would a 10 year old getting into the Edge or a 13 year old getting into the Vibe ruin my vacation? I'm a fun person. I like people, and so does my husband. We're going to have a good time no matter what other people do or how they dress. My kids are 12 and 13, and they would never dare complain about a 10 year old in the Edge. They've been in the Edge since they were 10. They know how lucky and blessed they are to be able to go on as many cruises as they have. We have 2 cruises coming up in the next 6 months and we're as excited as usual.

What irritated me about this thread and inspired me to post on these boards was the suggestion that people were breaking rules. There is no breaking of rules if DCL policy allows shorts in MDR's and kids aging up. I think OP has some issues.

Edited by sm3ds

I'm sorry but I have been working. I'm a nurse I work 12 hours shifts on the weekends I don't have time to hang out on message boards all day. To answer your question my kids would not have their vacation ruined by a kids aging up. They aged up after all. It they complained about something like that it would be their last vacation. In fact if they complained about anything on a vacation I worked overtime and paid thousands for it would be there last. I could care less. How would a 10 year getting into to Edge or a 13 year old getting into the Vibe ruin my vacation. I'm a fun person, I like people I'm going to have a good time no matter what other people do or how they dress.

Haha! Regarding hanging our on message boards all day! Very funny!

You managed to answer the other points in my post just fine though!

So your kids wouldn't mind their age appropriate space being invaded by younger kids and that wouldn't diminish their experience of that space?

And if it did, you could care less about it as long as they don't tell you or complain. Sorry, that is sad for them.

I do understand your view on them complaining unnecessarily though, but if they wanted to just hand with you instead, maybe you would feel different?

Each to their own.

ex techie

Your attitude mirrors mine. I was on a family vacation. I didn't make a Palo reservation until my daughter's 18th birthday cruise when she could go with me. The trip was FAMILY time. I did have the requirement that she chose 1 activity per day in the programming (these were typically 45 minutes long) so that I could have a little break and she would get the opportunity to see whether she liked the CMs and the kids in the programming on that cruise. If she liked it' date=' fine--she was free to go to as much as she wished. If it didn't "click" that time, she did her one activity. We also made a point of always having family dinner together; if she wanted to be in the programming, we'd reconnect at dinner.

She just shakes her head now at the kids in the adult area by the Cove Cafe and Quiet Cove pool...and commented that she remembers when she "wasn't allowed to walk thru those doors." That's right...the poor baby was emotionally scarred for life by the fact that her mom enforced the "18 and older" rules and made her use the midship elevators rather than the forward elevators to access the pool deck.

What I saw on our last cruise (not DCL) was that parents or grands were with their kids; that they were having a family vacation. There were a few older teens on the ship, but honestly I didn't see them much with or without parents.

When I saw the "under 14" crowd, I was always able to identify a parent nearby. Yes, the ship had a child care program--obviously I couldn't see kids when they were in the programming. But I did see them around the ship with their parents. It seemed a lot more like the way I used to do things on DCL.[/quote']

I barely see my kids on a cruise, and that's ok. We have lots of family time at home. I am their mother, and teacher. I feel sorry for families that don't get to spend time at home together and feel they need to make up for on vacation. I think you have to understand that not all families are the same. I see my kids a lot since they are homeschooled, but I also work Fri- Sun. I barely see my husband since he travels for work. Don't be so quick to judge other people when you don't know their situation.