Need advice for Xmas gift cruise

lump

Hello. New guy here. While doing last-minute shopping for a surprise short trip for my wife and I, I have lots of questions. I use forums for other personal interests all the time, so I was pleased to learn that there is a forum like Cruise Critic.

I hope this question is in the correct place? :confused:

Anyway, my wife and I are veterans of many cruises. Want to buy a surprise gift trip for just the two of us as a Christmas gift. Would like to go in mid February or any part of March...for only a few days. We have been on too many cruises to Bahamas, Mexico, and Caribbean, but would like to go someplace warm. Went 3 years ago to Italy and Greece on cruise, including Santorini, and LOVED it.

Any suggestions for a confused and worried husband shopping for surprise Christmas gift?

When you say a short vacation, how many days are you looking at? Week or less vacations in warm places in February or March usually means the Caribbean.

You might find 70's in the Costa del Sol (Spain) or Southern Italy, but you would have to do that land.

Edited by buggins0402

When you want to sail from U.S. port for short (3-4 days) there are not a lot of choices. As you say you don't want Bahamas, that leaves maybe a short cruise from San Diego to Mexico?

Edited by sail7seas

When you say a short vacation, how many days are you looking at? Week or less vacations in warm places in February or March usually means the Caribbean.

You might find 70's in the Costa del Sol (Spain) or Southern Italy, but you would have to do that land.

Thanks to all for the replies and advice.

Maybe land will be a better choice? I don't know.

My wife and are watching pennies this year, due to remodeling needed at our home. If I ask her to help me plan, she will refuse to spend the $$, and there goes the Christmas gift idea.

Usually when we take a vacation, we haul the kids and grandkids along, since that is the only way most of them can afford to go anywhere. But she has confided that once in a while, she wishes that just the two of us could get away for a short trip.

My idea of a short trip is 3 to 5 days. If I could keep total cost under 5 grand, it would be good.

Our last trip to a sunny beach found us bored and ready to come home by 3rd day. We aren't sun worshippers any more, I guess.

We live in Ohio, so trips originating on the western US coast tend to cost us too much. We have sometimes driven to Fla before leaving on a cruise, since we enjoy long drives together.

I guess I am asking too much for my situation. I am really, truly grateful for your input, and will pay careful attention to any further advice any of you can offer.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to all....sincerely.

My wife and are watching pennies this year, due to remodeling needed at our home. If I ask her to help me plan, she will refuse to spend the $$, and there goes the Christmas gift idea.

Usually when we take a vacation, we haul the kids and grandkids along, since that is the only way most of them can afford to go anywhere. But she has confided that once in a while, she wishes that just the two of us could get away for a short trip.

My idea of a short trip is 3 to 5 days. If I could keep total cost under 5 grand, it would be good.

Our last trip to a sunny beach found us bored and ready to come home by 3rd day. We aren't sun worshippers any more, I guess.

We live in Ohio, so trips originating on the western US coast tend to cost us too much. We have sometimes driven to Fla before leaving on a cruise, since we enjoy long drives together.

I guess I am asking too much for my situation. I am really, truly grateful for your input, and will pay careful attention to any further advice any of you can offer.

I hope we didn't put you off in any way...it's just short trip and a cruise usually means Caribbean.

For the budget you outlined you could probably do a Western Med in March and hit some pleasant weather in the Southern ports. Even Barcelona should be in mid 60's, farther south like Malta a bit warmer. The problem is that the only ships running the 7 day itineraries are Costa and MSC and their port times can be a bit short. I did not see any 3-5 days.

I've made the long haul to Europe a few times for short trips (once went all the way to Moscow for a 5 night trip when I found a cheap airfare). It is doable. Air fares to Europe are much cheaper in winter. We just returned from Southern Spain (much longer trip)...the weather was awesome, everything was inexpensive because of the Euro weakness and there was plenty of sites to see.

Or perhaps going to an island or city that has some culture and is not all beach...San Juan PR or Merida Mexico?

Edited by buggins0402

I guess your idea and my idea for watching our pennies is different.

For $5000 I think you could do a lovely 5 day vacation for 2 somewhere like an AI in St Lucia for an example. Perhaps you could get a suite on a cruise as well but you again would be doing Bahamas and possibly Mexico but from the states you wouldn't get a true Caribbean cruise in that time frame.

To me a $500 pp per day budget is not a trip that I would consider a penny pinching trip. :)

Edited by Karysa

I hope we didn't put you off in any way...it's just short trip and a cruise usually means Caribbean.

For the budget you outlined you could probably do a Western Med in March and hit some pleasant weather in the Southern ports. Even Barcelona should be in mid 60's, farther south like Malta a bit warmer. The problem is that the only ships running the 7 day itineraries are Costa and MSC and their port times can be a bit short. I did not see any 3-5 days.

I've made the long haul to Europe a few times for short trips (once went all the way to Moscow for a 5 night trip when I found a cheap airfare). It is doable. Air fares to Europe are much cheaper in winter. We just returned from Southern Spain (much longer trip)...the weather was awesome, everything was inexpensive because of the Euro weakness and there was plenty of sites to see.

Or perhaps going to an island or city that has some culture and is not all beach...San Juan PR or Merida Mexico?

Thanks, Buggins. Good advice indeed. Malta sounds pretty exciting, maybe for a non-cruise trip. My wife LOVED Santorini Island, when we cruised from Italy through Greece to Turkey and back. But I can't afford a trip like that this year. But maybe a flight to Malta would be good. Any recommendations on which area of Malta to stay in?

Very grateful for your help.

I guess your idea and my idea for watching our pennies is different.

For $5000 I think you could do a lovely 5 day vacation for 2 somewhere like an AI in St Lucia for an example. Perhaps you could get a suite on a cruise as well but you again would be doing Bahamas and possibly Mexico but from the states you wouldn't get a true Caribbean cruise in that time frame.

To me a $500 pp per day budget is not a trip that I would consider a penny pinching trip. :)

Thanks, Karysa. I didn't mean to imply that we could not pay for a trip...only that the savings we have is designated for much-needed home repairs. And if I spent that $$$ on a surprise Christmas gift, my wife would be so worried that she could not enjoy the trip.

I want to take her somewhere warm, and somewhere that she hasn't been very often. Most trips that I could think of which would fit that description would cost a lot more than I could budget. I really hope to keep costs down to about 4 grand, but I mentioned 5 so that I would not get ridiculed, and so that I would not find myself pigeon-holed into the Caribbean.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas

Have you considered flying to Phoenix and then renting a car and staying either in Scottsdale or driving out to Sedona? Sedona is an amazing place for a short vacation with so much to do and you should easily be able to keep it under $5000. You could even take a day trip to the Grand Canyon if you are so inclined.

Let me suggest a great Inn in Sedona:

http://www.adobegrandvillas.com

in Scottsdale, we like Royal Palms Resort and Spa

http://www.royalpalmshotel.com

even the least expensive room at Royal Palms is awesome with a soaking tub and separate shower! Sometimes you can find a special deal on Travel Zoo for this resort. We just got back from there and it was a wonderful short vacation!

I think either of these resorts would really be highly enjoyable for your wife and you would both have an awesome time! I checked the flights to Phoenix Sky Harbor from Cleveland (don't know if that is your airport, but they are running around $360pp). So I think this might be a good option for you and within budget.

Thanks, Buggins. Good advice indeed. Malta sounds pretty exciting, maybe for a non-cruise trip. My wife LOVED Santorini Island, when we cruised from Italy through Greece to Turkey and back. But I can't afford a trip like that this year. But maybe a flight to Malta would be good. Any recommendations on which area of Malta to stay in?

Very grateful for your help.

Perhaps one of the British CC'ers can help there, we've only been there on port visit and never left Valletta. Malta is one of the places where the Brits go to take the chill off during winter. Malta would give the feeling of Rhodes rather than Santorini.

Some British CC'ers might also have some other ideas to go for warm and non Caribbean, with some European flair.

Thanks, Karysa. I didn't mean to imply that we could not pay for a trip...only that the savings we have is designated for much-needed home repairs. And if I spent that $$$ on a surprise Christmas gift, my wife would be so worried that she could not enjoy the trip.

I want to take her somewhere warm, and somewhere that she hasn't been very often. Most trips that I could think of which would fit that description would cost a lot more than I could budget. I really hope to keep costs down to about 4 grand, but I mentioned 5 so that I would not get ridiculed, and so that I would not find myself pigeon-holed into the Caribbean.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas

:) To me its your amount of days that is the main limitation not your budget. Even with using airmiles for flights 5 days to travel somewhere warm in feb or march other than the Caribbean just isn't enough time to me and therefore it would be a waste of money and airmiles. :) I see 5 days as no more than 3 if traveling to Europe. The older I get the worse I do with time changes.

:) To me its your amount of days that is the main limitation not your budget. Even with using airmiles for flights 5 days to travel somewhere warm in feb or march other than the Caribbean just isn't enough time to me and therefore it would be a waste of money and airmiles. :) I see 5 days as no more than 3 if traveling to Europe. The older I get the worse I do with time changes.

Very true. When I've done the short trips it was always with ultra cheap airfares that are no longer available. The cost benefit with today's airfares would only work for someone who really wanted it.

Thanks again for the advice. Deeply appreciated.

Since you said, you're not into beaches & need home repairs.... Wondering, if a bed & breakfast at ohio's Amish country would do the trick. I looked up the link for Amish in Ohio & found http://www.ohiosamishcountry.com

Wishing you both a Merry Christmas!

There is also a Murder Mystery train in Ohio. But, next session seems to be in May. http://www.lebanonrr.com/mystery.html

Edited by Beth8649

Since you said, you're not into beaches & need home repairs.... Wondering, if a bed & breakfast at ohio's Amish country would do the trick. I looked up the link for Amish in Ohio & found http://www.ohiosamishcountry.com

Wishing you both a Merry Christmas!

There is also a Murder Mystery train in Ohio. But, next session seems to be in May. http://www.lebanonrr.com/mystery.html

Thanks, Beth. We not far from Amish country, and go there several times per year for day trips and weekend stays. It's pretty cold there this time of year though, and I would like to travel in Feb or March.

My wife has done the mystery train before, and enjoyed it. We might do it together this year.

Thanks!

March 11th there is a 23 day repositioning cruise on HAL's Oosterdam. I don't think we are allowed to post links, so I'm posting a pic of just the itinerary. An inside cabin for 2 is below your target price & a balcony hits your target price almost exactly. 23 days is longer than what you wanted, but it looks like a super good deal.

image.jpg.462768c7e21760973284c43fd3b3bfa0.jpg

OP's issue seemed to be more time then budget. If OP could squeak out 9 nights...a late night flight included and a whirlwind day in Rome, MSC has a 7 night sailing in late February from Rome, going to Malta and Palermo. $969 for a balcony. At that time some searching might get under $1000 airfare. A night in Rome...with some jet lagged touring. All ports are easy easy without excursions..they might have to purchase shuttles into some towns.

I've sailed MSC, you just have to drop the US mindset and think of it as being overseas while on board. MSC ships are brand spanking new, but large, food is fine if you like authentic Italian and entertainment is pretty good. Actually the port times on their Rome embarkation aren't bad. Rome is the only port that's a bit too short, but embarkation there would solve that. The others should be fine for that time of year.

OP's issue seemed to be more time then budget. If OP could squeak out 9 nights...a late night flight included and a whirlwind day in Rome, MSC has a 7 night sailing in late February from Rome, going to Malta and Palermo. $969 for a balcony. At that time some searching might get under $1000 airfare. A night in Rome...with some jet lagged touring. All ports are easy easy without excursions..they might have to purchase shuttles into some towns.

I've sailed MSC, you just have to drop the US mindset and think of it as being overseas while on board. MSC ships are brand spanking new, but large, food is fine if you like authentic Italian and entertainment is pretty good. Actually the port times on their Rome embarkation aren't bad. Rome is the only port that's a bit too short, but embarkation there would solve that. The others should be fine for that time of year.

Wow, neat idea, Buggins. Thanks for that. I'm working on this today, and plan to book SOMETHING today.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. Thanks SO much for all your excellent advice.

Buggins, you are my hero. I booked the MSC cruise, and my wife was thrilled on Christmas morning (after much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth about remodeling needed on our home. LOL). We travel in mid February. Now we are trying to find cheap flights from the midwest. In your opinion, would it be wise to travel to the Da Vinci airport in Rome, if we can get those flights cheaper than the Civitavecchia airport?

We deeply appreciate any advice you can offer.