Dining

Jane1614

I have never been on Holland America, and would like to know if when you dine, you can eat with just two people or do they put you at tables with other people? We would like the option to dine alone, and go when we want, or do we have to pick a specific time?

I have never been on Holland America, and would like to know if when you dine, you can eat with just two people or do they put you at tables with other people? We would like the option to dine alone, and go when we want, or do we have to pick a specific time?

Hal has open dining. You can request a table for 2. There may or may not be a wait.

The main dining room (MDR) is split into two sections on all the ships that I know of, one for fixed and one for open dining. For open dining you just walk up to the desk and say you want to eat (hours may vary but I think between around 5:15 and 9:00). They usually ask if you'd like to eat by yourselves or share. Most of the time we like to share at a table 4-6 people, but sometimes just by ourselves. Depending on availability, you may have to wait for awhile, and they'll give you a pager. I've never had to wait very long, but ymmv.

There are variations like calling for reservations each night and eating in the Lido or specialty restaurants. Lots of choices.

Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to know.

When I said desk, I meant the stand at the entry to the MDR. The "open" section is the lower level aft on all the HAL ships I've sailed. On the Prinsendam, the fixed dining is forward of that on the starboard side, and on the others up one level.

For me, it's fun to find the deck plans on the HAL website and see where things are, but then I'm the weird type who likes to study maps, also. Have a great cruise!

Concerning the Open Seating in the dining room. The earlier you go, the better chance you have of getting a table for 2.

Reservations for Open Seating are for certain hours -- 5:15 to 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 on most ships. It may vary a little. You can make reservations for 3 days at a time for any size table you want.

Speaking of dining, don't know if this is fleet-wide now, but on our last cruise both appetizers and soup are now combined in a first course, then entree and third course dessert. This has cut the dining time down greatly and the staff seems far less pushed. The service was very speedy between courses and immediately there was menu bread and butter at the table once seated. Dinner was always under 45 minutes.

This also means tables open up a lot faster in the any-time dining area. We saw many empty tables in the lower dining room when we went to dinner at 8pm-fixed in the upper dining room. Many had tables for four set up for just two people. Never a problem getting a table for two, because it can be a table for four set for two as sell as smaller table for two.

But this was also a warm weather cruise, so maybe a lot more people were opting for Lido dining for "out-door dining" instead of formal dining room dining.

Edited by OlsSalt