Eastern or Western, help!?

As others have said, tough decision. Good news is that you can't go wrong either way. I preferred the eastern itinerary (your kids would love the planes at Maho Beach). See my signature for my review of our Freedom eastern cruise last June. That said, I think the Allure trumps the eastern itinerary, especially with kids.

I'm not a big fan of Falmouth Jamaica, but we really enjoyed going to Mystic Mountain for the Zipline and bobsled when we docked at Ocho Rios a few years ago. It's a little bit of a hike from Falmouth but would be a good excursion for kids.

Thank you!!

I do agree, my kids would love to see the planes come in! If I don't do the Eastern this cruise, I'm definitely doing it in November, so this would be something we could do, thanks!

Would you mind explaining a bit more about Mystic Mountain? Is it good for a 6 & 8 yr old? Even if we don't do it as an excursion from the ship, we could still go there while we're in Jamaica after the cruise.

I swear I am the MOST indecisive person EVER!!!!!! Lol

I may switch things up, again! I am now thinking the Oasis because it leaves on a Sat, and means we would get an extra day in Jamaica (after the cruise) with my husband. So, instead of 8 nights we would get 9 nights in Jamaica.

For some, 1 extra day wouldn't be a big deal, but it's like pulling teeth to get my DH to agree to vacation in March, so I will take any extra time the boys and I can get with him as a family. He works a lot, so 10 days with him is a blessing!

Now, my biggest concern is the ship? Well, it's not so much a concern, but how does it compare to the Allure? I'm not crazy about the Eastern itinerary (it goes to Nassau) and I've been to Nassau 6+ times, but who's complaining when I'm on vacation, right?

I've been to St. Thomas as well, but never to St. Marteen. The Western appealed to me more cause the Ports are some of my fav, and their is so much to do with the kids! And, Labadee looks so beautiful!! I'm sad to miss it to be honest.

Do the Eastern Ports have much to do? I'm fine staying on the ship for Nassau, and possibly St.Thomas, but would like to get off in St. Marten.

Any tips on the Oaiss, and the Ports would be appreciated!! :)

Oh, one more thing...I read some reviews, and some people have mentioned their isn't that much to do on the Ship when it's in Port. Is this accurate?

Also, what are the Ice shows like? Anyone happen to know what they are?

Thanks! :)

... Now, my biggest concern is the ship? Well, it's not so much a concern, but how does it compare to the Allure?...

Oasis is almost identical to Allure. The main show is different, there is one restaurant different (Solarium Bistro on Oasis vs Samba Grill on Allure), and the art is different.

Oasis is almost identical to Allure. The main show is different, there is one restaurant different (Solarium Bistro on Oasis vs Samba Grill on Allure), and the art is different.

Would the main show be Cats or is that another show they have? I'm not much of a "show" person, but my boys I know will love the ice skating shows and I can't seem to find anywhere what they are on the Oasis!?

Do you know if the shows are the same or different depending on the ship (I'm speaking about the Ice shows)

We booked our next cruise for the ship not the itinerary. I have always wanted to go in the Allure and I know the kids will have a blast on her. We are now on the March 6 sailing going Western route and trying to figure out what to do for excursions.

Funny, cause March 6th- Allure was the ship we were going to go on as well, but now I'm looking at switching to the Oasis cause it's Sat-Sat. I do prefer the Western Itinerary, but I have found an amazing excursion to go on in St. Maarten.

For your itinerary, in Jamaica, I've heard and read the Blue Hole is amazing and should be experienced at least once! I actually have a private tour booked with Liberty Tours (Ricardo) while we are in Jamaica for our All Inclusive part of our vacation after the cruise. We're going to the Blue Hole, tubing and then lunch (Jerk Chicken- yum!)

In Cozumel I've been to Playa Mia and to CHANKANAAB, and had a fabulous time at both! I have 2 boys ages 8 & 6 and they loved both places! I did Playa Mia when we were on the Disney Wonder, and did their excursion, and then we did Chankanaab again when on the Disney Wonder (a different cruise), but we did this on our own. We went as a group of 4 adults and 4 kids. Snorkelling was amazing and the sea lion show was super cute! All the kids got to touch and get a kiss (for free) from the sea lion.

The kids and 2 of the adults did the Dolphin encounter and got to get in the water with the Manatees as well.

We really enjoyed the pool and the swim up bar as well!

If I had to pick between the 2, I would go back to Chankanaab.

I think on our next cruise (when we do another western) We will try Paradise Beach.

Hope that helps!

Cheers:)

Would the main show be Cats or is that another show they have? I'm not much of a "show" person, but my boys I know will love the ice skating shows and I can't seem to find anywhere what they are on the Oasis!?

Do you know if the shows are the same or different depending on the ship (I'm speaking about the Ice shows)

On Allure there is one ice show you can pre-book ( monopoly) and a DreamWorks one that is in the cruise compass that you just show up (how to train your dragon). I believe same idea on Oasis but different shows.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

On Allure there is one ice show you can pre-book ( monopoly) and a DreamWorks one that is in the cruise compass that you just show up (how to train your dragon). I believe same idea on Oasis but different shows.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Bummer! I know my boys would love the Monopoly one and How to train your dragon. I hope the Oasis has the same kind of idea, show wise (on the ice)

Thanks for your help!

Main show on Oasis is CATS. Main show on Allure is Mamma Mia. Ice shows are different.

Thank you!!

I do agree, my kids would love to see the planes come in! If I don't do the Eastern this cruise, I'm definitely doing it in November, so this would be something we could do, thanks!

Would you mind explaining a bit more about Mystic Mountain? Is it good for a 6 & 8 yr old? Even if we don't do it as an excursion from the ship, we could still go there while we're in Jamaica after the cruise.

You can follow the link in my original message (click on Mystic Mountain) to see their web site. They have a few pictures. Essentially, you take a ski lift through the rain forest to the top of a mountain. At the top is (or at least was in 2010) a restaurant, an infinity edge pool with a slide and a nice view of the Ocho Rios dock area, a small museum of sorts for the Jamaican Bobsled team, and of course a gift shop. You can ride the "bobsled" which is like the Dragon's Tail Coaster in Labadee, and/or take the Zipline tour through the forest (with some great views). If I remember correctly, the Zipline tour had 4-5 lines, a vertical drop, and I think a rope bridge. Both the bobsled and the Zipline tour end at the mid point of the chairlift where you can either ride back to the top or down to the bottom.

I took a quick look at their website and didn't see anything about minimum ages. My youngest was 12 when we were there and had no problems doing everything. Your kids might be a little young so you might want to contact them for more info.

You can follow the link in my original message (click on Mystic Mountain) to see their web site. They have a few pictures. Essentially, you take a ski lift through the rain forest to the top of a mountain. At the top is (or at least was in 2010) a restaurant, an infinity edge pool with a slide and a nice view of the Ocho Rios dock area, a small museum of sorts for the Jamaican Bobsled team, and of course a gift shop. You can ride the "bobsled" which is like the Dragon's Tail Coaster in Labadee, and/or take the Zipline tour through the forest (with some great views). If I remember correctly, the Zipline tour had 4-5 lines, a vertical drop, and I think a rope bridge. Both the bobsled and the Zipline tour end at the mid point of the chairlift where you can either ride back to the top or down to the bottom

I took a quick look at their website and didn't see anything about minimum ages. My youngest was 12 when we were there and had no problems doing everything. Your kids might be a little young so you might want to contact them for more info.

Great! I will check out it out!

Even if I didn't do it as an excursion from the ship (If I end up on the Allure) I still may do it while I'm Jamaica on our All Inclusive portion.

If you end up going to Jamaica, do not, I repeat, do not take your boys into the town on your own. Shore excursion would be different but I would make that a ship day.

I promise you I would never do that! I do appreciate your concern and thank you for reaching out:)

If I do go somewhere, it would be a private tour with a guide or I would wait and do something once my husband met us in Jamaica.

Thank you!

I'm trying to find the info for what the ice shows are on the Oasis and I cannot find any information:(

There is only one ice show on Oasis, and it's called Frozen In Time.

You can follow the link in my original message (click on Mystic Mountain) to see their web site. They have a few pictures. Essentially, you take a ski lift through the rain forest to the top of a mountain. At the top is (or at least was in 2010) a restaurant, an infinity edge pool with a slide and a nice view of the Ocho Rios dock area, a small museum of sorts for the Jamaican Bobsled team, and of course a gift shop. You can ride the "bobsled" which is like the Dragon's Tail Coaster in Labadee, and/or take the Zipline tour through the forest (with some great views). If I remember correctly, the Zipline tour had 4-5 lines, a vertical drop, and I think a rope bridge. Both the bobsled and the Zipline tour end at the mid point of the chairlift where you can either ride back to the top or down to the bottom.

I absolutely loved my mystic mountain experience when I was on the Carnival Freedom and the employees were top notch. I was traveling with my mom that trip and she didn't want to zip line so she waited for me. They knew that and took me a short cut back up the mountain instead of having to take the lift all the way down and back up again. It was rainy so didn't enjoy the pool but they also had walking trails a guide will take you on. Very nice place, the lift was a little white knuckle because it is high, but an amazing view.

There is only one ice show on Oasis, and it's called Frozen In Time.

That's too bad their is only one! My boys love anything to do with skating (We're Canadian, and hockey/ice is a big hit with them)

Can you comment or anyone else on how good or bad the ice show is?

Thanks!

I absolutely loved my mystic mountain experience when I was on the Carnival Freedom and the employees were top notch. I was traveling with my mom that trip and she didn't want to zip line so she waited for me. They knew that and took me a short cut back up the mountain instead of having to take the lift all the way down and back up again. It was rainy so didn't enjoy the pool but they also had walking trails a guide will take you on. Very nice place, the lift was a little white knuckle because it is high, but an amazing view.

That's great to hear you enjoyed it! I'm looking into it for my boys:) My 8yr old loves to Zipline!

That's too bad their is only one! My boys love anything to do with skating (We're Canadian, and hockey/ice is a big hit with them)

Can you comment or anyone else on how good or bad the ice show is?

Thanks!

The ice show was enjoyable. They also do a sand drawing thing during the show, which was incredible.

Just so you know, you must be at least 75 lbs and 52" tall for the zipline.

My 8yr old surpasses that! He's very tall for his age, and weighs appx 88 pounds. He's tall and all muscle..lol

Now, my 6 yr old is tiny and only weighs about 37 pounds, so he won't be able to do it:(

Thanks for the info!

My 8yr old surpasses that! He's very tall for his age, and weighs appx 88 pounds. He's tall and all muscle..lol

Now, my 6 yr old is tiny and only weighs about 37 pounds, so he won't be able to do it:(

Thanks for the info!

Great...then no problem then. Strong boy. :) We just told our kids about our cruise. My DS is 10.5 years and after we told them, we weighed him (as he so wants to go on the zipline) and he is 71lbs. He said he's going to eat lots of cookies in the next 3.5 months to gain those last 4lbs. :D