potholes in the hallways

vicocala

Wow Lane.....that's a long drive from the Azores to Detroit....and a bit wet too. :) All joking aside potholes in Detroit swallow cars so I'm not surprised about broken rims. Guess it doesn't get that cold in the Azores? Only been to the Azores twice and both were short stops for refueling flying to and from Africa.

Wow Lane.....that's a long drive from the Azores to Detroit....and a bit wet too. :) All joking aside potholes in Detroit swallow cars so I'm not surprised about broken rims. Guess it doesn't get that cold in the Azores? Only been to the Azores twice and both were short stops for refueling flying to and from Africa.

I think Detroit's pothole problems are a function of freeze/thaw, ultra-heavy trucks and not sufficient money for road repairs. Honestly, is there anything you can think of that's stronger than 18 inches of 9-bag concrete with reinforcing cloth? And after it breaks or spalls, what the heck do you do with it?

If I had issues with the decking on a mega-million dollar ship, I'd sue the contractor, pronto!

Açores are gorgeous. Looks a lot like Ireland or Hawaii here but no tourists and very cheap prices. Weather? Wet in winter, but the temperatures year-round are never <55, >80.

I asssume you were in the military when you were over here?

lane

Chuck holes???? Why did Chuck put holes in the deck?

That's just rude! :eek:

But seriously...I noticed them in the halls on the Zuiderdam...especially when wearing high heels. Never had a real problem (thanks to my wonderful DH), but it became a game outside of our cabin on deck 7...kind of like an obstacle course with the weaving, jumping, high stepping...

Not a big deal, but I'm glad they will be fixing this in dry dock so next time I can save all of my fancy steps for the dance floor ;)

~e

I haven't been on the Zui as yet so can't comment on the potholes but, like others, I also thought we were talking portholes. It just so happens when we were on RCCL in 1976 they did have PORTHOLES in the hall. They looked into the swimming pool on the Sun Viking..... you had better be careful what you did underwater!! :D

Hey Vic,

Do ya think security would let me bring on some quickrete? Hot asphalt might be a bit tricky carrying it thru the lines. :D

Sure ...

Quickrete should be fine. And you're right about the asphalt. Tricky, and it might be a tad messy. I'm sure you'll hear the other pax cursing you out as they step in the sticky puddles you leave behind.....

;)

Oh yea .... enjoy the cruise!

Just returned from the Zuiderdam and had a discussion about the "pot holes with the Hotel Manager when he attended our Cruise Critic Get-Together. He said that the problem has occured on the Zuiderdam and the Osterdam because the underlayment used between the steel decks and the carpet separated from the decks. The problem was fixed on the westerdam by changing the type of materials. All of the carpet will be removed during drydock and replaced after treating the decks with the new underlayment.

Thanks Rich,

How was your cruise?

Babyher,

Thats funny, I loved all of her SNL skits, the world lost a gem when she passed away.

Overall, I would have to say that we had a great cruise. I'm going to try and post my review today.

Richard

Archived